X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof liner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Roof liner replacement

Did this a week or so ago, not a bad job.

1) Remove the back seat bottom, you accomplish this by lifting real hard as there is one large clip on the bottom of each seat in the corner. Remove and set aside. Next use a torx to remove two large bolts holding the back seat. After removal of the two Torx screws lift the rear back seat so you can get to the two side trim pieces. There is one bolt per side, 10MM remove the bolt, Now slowly pry the plastic trim piece back, you can use a screwdriver to help "pop" the clip holding the trim piece in the middle and be VERY careful not to damage the plastic side trim pieces as they list for $172.00 each. Ask me how I know.

2) Remove the front visors and assorted clips. Remove the A pillar trim.

3) Remove the four hand holds, one each seat.

4) Remove the front light roof assembly using a small screwdriver as it has clips on the side. Also, remove the rear view mirror plastic cover.

5) Remove the rear seat roof light. Pull the rubber door seal around the roof lining down.

6) Now as the roof lining falls you will see all the wiring is glued to the roof, looks like they used a hot glue gun. Slowly pry the wiring off the board. I used a knife in some places, but be sure not to damage the wiring. You can also just unplug the wiring harness, see Thermo's suggestion below.

7) Now lower both front seat so the backs are flat. With the rear seat out, it's easy to slide the roof out of the passenger rear side door, just be careful not to damage the roof liner, you can twist it a little. Also you might want to wear rubber gloves and a long sleeve shirt as the roof lining board is made of fiberglass.

8) I took the roof to an auto upholstery shop and matched the material up. Cost should be $100.00-$150.00. They wrapped the new material all the way around the lining which Jaguar didn't originally do. Ask your shop to do this.

9) Reinstall in the same, just reverse order. I used 2 inch painting tape to reattach the wiring to the roof. I also used a couple zip ties to hold the wires together.

Results look better than new.

Have fun.

Last edited by Mr rx-7 tt; 06-16-2014 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bravo tango (07-13-2016)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mr rx-7, if you remove the front A-pillar trim, you can undo the plugs and pull all the wiring out with the headliner and save yourself a lot of grief trying to get the wiring loose. All the wiring that goes up to the headliner doesn't affect anything worthwhile (except for the sunroof, but most can live without that). If you do it this way, you would also need to disconnect the 2 plugs in the mirror too. But, those are fairly easy to get undone too.

I managed to slide my headliner out without pulling out the rear seat. I simply got the headliner near the rear door and the flexed the headliner some into a half moon and it slid right out the door.

The following users liked this post:
bravo tango (08-10-2016)
Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mr. RX:
Thanks for the insight, I've found foam backed Suede material on the net that I want to use.
Do you have a sun roof that needed recovering? If so how hard is that to removed once the headliner is out of the way
Gary

Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Mr rx-7, if you remove the front A-pillar trim, you can undo the plugs and pull all the wiring out with the headliner and save yourself a lot of grief trying to get the wiring loose. All the wiring that goes up to the headliner doesn't affect anything worthwhile (except for the sunroof, but most can live without that). If you do it this way, you would also need to disconnect the 2 plugs in the mirror too. But, those are fairly easy to get undone too.

I managed to slide my headliner out without pulling out the rear seat. I simply got the headliner near the rear door and the flexed the headliner some into a half moon and it slid right out the door.
Thermo,
I forgot I did remove the A pillar trim. You are correct I could have unplugged the harnesses but pulling off the glue really only took about five minutes but I think I would have just unplugged the harness if I did it again, good suggestion. (Added it in above)

I also removed the roof before I took the rear seat out. The reason I suggest taking out the rear seats out is so you can get to the rear pillar bolts that hold the rear plastic pillar trim. The trim pieces are very brittle and not removing them is exposing yourself to $$$. Also, with the seat out it's even easier to get the roof out.

Last edited by Mr rx-7 tt; 06-16-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kota62
Mr. RX:
Thanks for the insight, I've found foam backed Suede material on the net that I want to use.
Do you have a sun roof that needed recovering? If so how hard is that to removed once the headliner is out of the way
Gary
Gary,
I do not have a sunroof maybe Thermo can answer that? Suede will look great. You have to post some pics when you finish.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I didn't remove my panel for the sunroof. Mine was still in good shape so it didn't need recovering. So, I can't help you with getting the penel off.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr rx-7 tt
Did this a week or so ago, not a bad job.

1) Remove the back seat bottom, you accomplish this by lifting real hard as there is one large clip on the bottom of each seat in the corner. Remove and set aside. Next use a torx to remove two large bolts holding the back seat. After removal of the two Torx screws lift the rear back seat so you can get to the two side trim pieces. There is one bolt per side, 10MM remove the bolt, Now slowly pry the plastic trim piece back, you can use a screwdriver to help "pop" the clip holding the trim piece in the middle and be VERY careful not to damage the plastic side trim pieces as they list for $172.00 each. Ask me how I know.

2) Remove the front visors and assorted clips. Remove the A pillar trim.

3) Remove the four hand holds, one each seat.

4) Remove the front light roof assembly using a small screwdriver as it has clips on the side. Also, remove the rear view mirror plastic cover.

5) Remove the rear seat roof light. Pull the rubber door seal around the roof lining down.

6) Now as the roof lining falls you will see all the wiring is glued to the roof repair reston va looks like they used a hot glue gun. Slowly pry the wiring off the board. I used a knife in some places, but be sure not to damage the wiring. You can also just unplug the wiring harness, see Thermo's suggestion below.

7) Now lower both front seat so the backs are flat. With the rear seat out, it's easy to slide the roof out of the passenger rear side door, just be careful not to damage the roof liner, you can twist it a little. Also you might want to wear rubber gloves and a long sleeve shirt as the roof lining board is made of fiberglass.

8) I took the roof to an auto upholstery shop and matched the material up. Cost should be $100.00-$150.00. They wrapped the new material all the way around the lining which Jaguar didn't originally do. Ask your shop to do this.

9) Reinstall in the same, just reverse order. I used 2 inch painting tape to reattach the wiring to the roof. I also used a couple zip ties to hold the wires together.

Results look better than new.

great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. Nice post