X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select Edition warranty expiring - should I be worried?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Select Edition warranty expiring - should I be worried?

I have a 2007 X-Type that I purchased used three years ago. I've been pretty lucky with it; nothing major has gone wrong. The throttle is currently being replaced, which would have cost me about US$500 I believe if it hadn't been under warranty.

I've read some of the other "extended warranty - yes or no?" threads on the forums, but most of the people posting tend to have much more expensive cars, like the XF. They were quoting warranty prices that seem awfully steep ($4,000 minimum - yikes!).

What do my fellow X-Typers think about going without a warranty?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Emerald, I see the warrantees this way: they are nice if you are hard on the vehicle which will normally allow you to make your money back. Otherwise, you are more than likely going to loose out in the long run unless you get one of the policies that will reimburse you a certain percentage of what you don't use.

Now, with that being said, this is also under the assumption that you are able to do atleast some of the work yourself. If you are not capable of doing things to the level of say oil changes and whatnot, then having that policy will atleast be good piece of mind. Otherwise, I would tell you to set up a savings account and start dropping say $100 a month into it once the warrantee expires. That way, when a big expense comes up, you can simply pull out of the savings and go from there. Worst case, when you sell the car, you have a nice down payment. Not like you will be really out any money.

With all this being said, I am mechanically inclined, but I still bought a warrantee on the wife's car. The thought process being that I got a 7 year/100,000 mile warrantee since i know the wife will want to sell the car off as soon as the warrantee expires. By having the extended warrantee, she will keep the car longer and in the long run, I save money regardless of how it plays out.

The following users liked this post:
Emerald7 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much, Thermo! I'm very diligent about my car's maintenance but not able to do anything myself, mechanically. The savings account seems like an excellent idea.

Like your wife, I was thinking I'd sell my Jag when the warranty expired but now that the time is almost here, I just can't let go.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Emerald, too bad you don't live closer to me. I would tell you to come over and we would do things on your car together. I am always working on cars and whatnot and that way, you can be garanteed that the car would meet your expectations after a repair as you would be involved in it. Besides, it saves you a lot of money in the long run and you can normally learn a little something too. I have spent 24 years teaching others about cars and all sorts of other subjects. I am sure I could teach you something.