X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe Misfire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Misfire Problem

Today my 03 x type started to severely misfire and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. The MIL is flashing I know it has severe misfires and its putting out codes p0302, p1314, and p1316 for misfire in cylinder 2. I haven't done a whole bunch since it just happened and I don't want to spend a bunch of money but I replaced the spark plugs and swapped cylinders 2 and 5 coils to see if it would make any difference. I then ran the car for 10 minutes before checking the codes again but it didn't make a difference so I don't suspect the coil or plugs and is still plan on checking for compression and making sure the injector is clean. Since I feel like I already have much of the diagnostics planned out I would just like input on what seems to be the most likely problem and how to go about the repair. I would also like to add that there is some oil around where the spark plugs screw in but I've known that for awhile now it hasn't affected any other plugs so I doubt that's the problem.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Don't be surprised if the oil has ruined coil(s) and is the cause.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:20 PM

I thought about that but as I said, I swapped two coils and it didn't change anything. If both coils were bad I would expect misfire in cylinder 2 and 5.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Correction: I swapped coils from cylinders 2 and 6.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Blujag
I then ran the car for 10 minutes before checking the codes again but it didn't make a difference
I assume you cleared the codes? If not then don't expect a change. Some code take more than one drive cycle to be set, so I think your test run will not give you immediate information. How did the plugs look?

Old 08-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

But even if he didn't clear the codes, if he swapped coils he would at least now get an additional code for the cylinder he moved the bad coil to in addition to the position it was originally in. So, one additional code would come up.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:16 PM

I can try clearing the codes when I get home from work in about 45 minutes and see if anything different comes up but last I checked the same 3 codes remained after swapping coils.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:21 PM

Also the plugs were pretty fouled I have a picture of the plug from cylinder 2. There was oil around the ceramic portion of each plug on bank 2 and each plug looked pretty much the same as this. I have no idea how long it's been since the plugs were last changed but to see if it would have made a difference I have new e3 plugs in bank 2 which I installed when i swapped coils.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow. That plug looks awful. I have heard poor reviews of the E3 plus and would get rid of them. A double platinum plug will last 100,000 miles. The oil in the spark plug wells comes from failed cam cover gaskets (#3 in attached image). While doing that I would also replace #2 gasket also along with the IMT o-rings and the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.

Here is a link showing how to get at the rear plugs. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nge-faq-48128/

Attached Thumbnails Severe Misfire Problem-screen.png  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 AM

I already know what the cause of the oil is from and I've had no problem with e3 before plus they have a 100k mile warranty. Back to the problem at hand. Today I'm going to try clearing the code to see if anything changes and probably clean the injector if I have time. I was going to yesterday but due to a large fire I had trouble getting home from work and didn't have the time to work on the car.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Theoretically If I disconnect the injector to effectively disable the misfiring cylinder so I'm driving a 5 cylinder, would it be safe enough to drive since there won't be excess fuel burning in the catalytic converter?

Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, though usually the PCM disables the injector for a misfiring cylinder so you'd just be re-doing what it does.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM

I haven't had the chance to do anything because of work and I'm preparing to go camping but my brother is using his more advanced OBD II scanner and it is reading p1316 as an injector curcuit failure so we may be able to easily fix the problem.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

The P1316 code will also be accompanied by a code for the individual cylinder. Before messing with the fuel injection, fix the plug issue and the oil leaking issue by changing the gaskets. Chances are that is where your real issue is and that might have damaged a coil or two as well.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blujag
I haven't had the chance to do anything because of work and I'm preparing to go camping but my brother is using his more advanced OBD II scanner and it is reading p1316 as an injector curcuit failure so we may be able to easily fix the problem.
That sounds like a non-jag meaning for P1316. You want the jag one (just posted by Alfadude or read it in the workshop manual).

Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
The P1316 code will also be accompanied by a code for the individual cylinder. Before messing with the fuel injection, fix the plug issue and the oil leaking issue by changing the gaskets. Chances are that is where your real issue is and that might have damaged a coil or two as well.
if you had read some of the previous posts I've said that I replaced the plugs and swapped coils to check for a change in trouble codes. I'm going to try swapping coils again just to be sure but i think I can safely rule out plugs and coils. There are also two other codes besides p1316 including one giving the specific cylinder misfiring and my brother's scanner read the codes as manufacturer specific. I also believe the injector may just be clogged as the biggest issue because I realized this happened in the days after I bought fuel that wasn't top tier for the first time. I also realized that the misfires had occurred in the day prior to the engine codes but only occurs under heavier excel at the time.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:08 PM

I also understand i still need to replace the valve cover gasket that surrounds the plugs and clean around the plugs since the oil can cause issues but I want to get the misfire addressed first.

Last edited by Blujag; 08-14-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Wasn't specific enough
Old 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

I meant that you need to change the leaking gaskets so you won't get the new plugs fouled up again and . Also, that depending on how long you have been running with the check engine light on you might have damaged one or more coils, as that is one of the biggest causes when the light is flashing.

Not sure exactly what you mean by less than top tier gas, like from a non-brand name station or do you mean a lower octane. Either way, something like that would not cause a flashing MIL to come on or would block up an injector. Performance and mileage might suffer a bit, but nothing like what you are seeing.That would have to be some really REALLY bad gas and if it was that bad would probably plug up your fuel filter first.

I have attached the Jaguar X-Type diagnostic guide full document here for handy reference. You can look up all the various P codes specific to your car. Hope you find it handy.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar Codes.pdf (690.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:02 PM

Thank you to everybody, I am now sure of what the problem is and what caused it. Remember how I swapped ignition coils from cylinders 2 and 6 as the very first thing I did? At the advice of Alfa I reset the codes today after finishing replacing the spark plugs and after a short low speed drive until the engine light appeared; my scanner revealed the misfire to be in cylinder 6 now. My final conclusion is that my ignition coil is bad and at your suggestions for the cause of a bad ignition coils I will be replacing the bad gaskets around the plugs on both cylinder banks (I found oil around the plugs on both sides) to prevent any more ignition issues.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Glad that it sounds like you are finally on the way to getting this solved.