X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

severe vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry severe vibration

car has started to have severe vibration at speeds 40plus mph making gear stick and dashboard shake several people suggest it may be flywheel as they say there is a fault on the x type 2.0 diesel anybody help

Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Bozza, if it is the engine's flywheel, it would be shaking you to death regardless of your vehicle speed.

You don't state where you are from, but if you are in an area that has recently been hit by a snow storm, it is very possible that you have some snow on the inside of the rim and it will cause what you are seeing. Because you have a diesel X-Type, you are over in the EU most likely. I would check the rims first for any signs of snow. I know recently I had some snow in my rims and it shook my car pretty good.

Next, you will need to rotate the tires front to rear and vice versa. Did the shaking move or change? If yes, then only rotate the tires on one side of the car. From here, you can figure out where your out of balance tire is. An out of balance tire will be easily felt on the front of the car but won't be felt hardly at all on the rear.

The other question I have to ask is whether you have hit a curb recently or hit a big pothole in the road (or any other situation where the car was shaken violently due to the car impacting something). It appears to me that the stock rims are easily bent on these cars and it can cause a wobble/out of balance like you are seeing.

After that, I would recommend checking the suspension for any loose/worn bushings. if there is too much play, that can lead to a tire wobble which will lead to excessive tire wear. If you have any questions on how to do these checks, let me know.

This should cover most of what can cause what you are seeing.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Angry severe vibration

im from the u.k had a full service and also changed discs/pads all round since picking car up from garage car started shaking/shuddering at 40mph i have since returned to the garage and they changed all discs in case they were out of balance slowly the shaking has got worse people have said it could be the flywheel as it supposed to be a common fault can anyone help me

Old 01-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Bozza, is there any noise associated with what you are seeing? Like a rubbing or grinding type sound that changes as you move the steering wheel? Does it start at 40mph and get worse the faster you go? Wheel bearing going? Like Thermo said, if you recently hit a pothole it could have damaged that.

Did it happen immediately when you picked up the car? Hard to believe a new disc would cause what you are feeling, especially without using the brakes.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

i agree that you may have something out of whack, something constantly in rotation while driving. could be other then tires, could be in the drive line. check your drive shaft and u-joints, a worn out bearing, shaft, or anything could cause a shaking at certain mph, and not others. check the bolts at all ends, and the carrier bearing. i once had an suv that shook like an old washing machine at 35+ mph, and a new driveshaft and u-joints and it felt like a caddy up to 90.... stevis05

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Talking severe vibration

thanks for your response eventually put car into garage and as suspected teeth had come off flywheel this is a common fault with x type 2. diesels boght new fly wheel etc etc pick car up tomorrow and bill was less than expected so beware any severe vibration check flywheel first thanks to everyone who looked /responded bozza