X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be a believer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be a believer?

I took my 04, 3.0 to my mechanic. He's been working on cars since he was 15 and now owns the place he started out in. He's always did a good job on any other car I've had to him for many things. He did my tranfer case oil change and it went very smoothly. He used a pump to replace the oil then quickly put the plug back in with very little oil loss. We only got about a half of cup of fluid out so it really needed it. I also noticed when he changed my oil, the filter was in plain site, very easy to get to. I have read on here that is was not an easy change. I also had him look at my carrier bearing and there was no way to use a needle grease gun to grease it. It's a sealed bearing with metal surronding it. I showed him the post on here and he says all that happened was grease was going into the rubber surronding the bearing, not the bearing itself. I asked about changing the plugs as I think their still original. I explained that the intake has to come off to reach the back 3. He says no, that with the right tools, it doesn't. He's worked on many Jaguar Xs and says he's never had to remove the intake. Anyhow, my question here is, I'm going to have him do my plugs and change the tranny fluid. He going to look up the amout of fluid the transmission holds. He's going to disconnect the transmission cooling lines then using a pump, pump the new oil through the transmission cooling line until all the old fluid comes out of the other line He says if it holds x amout of fluid, by doing it this way you will completly change all the fluid and not just part of it. Has anyone heard of doing this before? It kinda made sense to me as you would be putting new fluid through the whole thing.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, you got a lot there but here's the info:

-Oil change is very easy, just as easy as any normal car
-prop shaft bearing can be greased just like in pics but you might need to clean it to see those holes. My mechanic gave me the same speech until I made him do it and he saw that it can be done
-I just changed my plugs and the rear three are impossible to change without removing the upper intake. The coils are too long and it would be impossible to get the socket in there without removing it. I really doubt he's changed plugs on X-types before.
-Transmission holds 8-9 quarts, use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. I suppose the pump via the cooling lines would work...? There are posts of how to do this via the regular fill procedure and still get all 9 also, but his method may work.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey is the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF the definitive choice now? Just curious, I have been told to stay away from that and use the Jaguar ATF only...

Originally Posted by blaydes99
Wow, you got a lot there but here's the info:

-Oil change is very easy, just as easy as any normal car
-prop shaft bearing can be greased just like in pics but you might need to clean it to see those holes. My mechanic gave me the same speech until I made him do it and he saw that it can be done
-I just changed my plugs and the rear three are impossible to change without removing the upper intake. The coils are too long and it would be impossible to get the socket in there without removing it. I really doubt he's changed plugs on X-types before.
-Transmission holds 8-9 quarts, use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. I suppose the pump via the cooling lines would work...? There are posts of how to do this via the regular fill procedure and still get all 9 also, but his method may work.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

From what I understand it is, but I'd like to hear from others. To honest, my suspicion is that some transmissions that were reported to have failed in the past were already on their way out when the owners decided to change the oil, and incorrectly blame the new oil when it finally fails.

As long as the oil is compliant with the spec (Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF is confirmed as compliant) then I won't lose sleep over it.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

ive been in situation my freinds, and my tranny did blow, just use the "classic" tranny about to go signs to judge, before doing anything cuase a oil change wont save it.

Pumping oil through may seem like a good idea, but im no mechanic and what i do in the lab ( bichemical and organic chemical sysntehsis, and seperation) simply tells me the fliud should be drained, then some ran throuGH, drained and then filled, but this is just my opnion, i think that by simply running new fliud through will just leave the sludge behind.