X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace the coolant tank as a maintenance item?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Should I replace the coolant tank as a maintenance item?

Just got back from the shop, replaced the large thermostat hose, rear upper and lower arms, front left wheel bearing and both front links and then aligned it.

The car no longer seems to be leaking coolant, but I am thinking about replacing the coolant tank so I don’t have to worry about it cracking at the most inoportune moment.

Car is hit 60k miles today, which is probably irrelevant since it’s a ln 05 and the tank is probably original.

Replace or wait until it goes?

also the dealer is now selling the OEM at 100 dollars and the aftermarkets are 40-60 so unless the aftermarket tanks are somehow upgraded, it’s probably best to go with OEM.... opinions, please

Last edited by Spikepaga; 07-18-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Spikepaga: Depends how often you look under the hood, and if your drive long distances or short commutes. I presume mostly short commutes given the 60K miles on an '05.

When stress cracks form in an old reservoir, coolant seeps out very slowly thru the stress cracks, and only when the engine is hot and the coolant system pressurized. So if you regularly check under the hood and your trips are short, you will likely notice a slow drop in the coolant level in time to replace the tank without incident. But if you rarely look under the hood, or drive long trips, it's wise to replace the old reservoir. You could also keep a gallon of distilled water or coolant in the trunk to top off the reservoir, if you ever notice a slow drop in the coolant level.

An aftermarket reservoir is working just fine in my 2002 Sport for the past ~60K miles and ~5 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Spikepaga: Depends how often you look under the hood, and if your drive long distances or short commutes. I presume mostly short commutes given the 60K miles on an '05.

When stress cracks form in an old reservoir, coolant seeps out very slowly thru the stress cracks, and only when the engine is hot and the coolant system pressurized. So if you regularly check under the hood and your trips are short, you will likely notice a slow drop in the coolant level in time to replace the tank without incident. But if you rarely look under the hood, or drive long trips, it's wise to replace the old reservoir. You could also keep a gallon of distilled water or coolant in the trunk to top off the reservoir, if you ever notice a slow drop in the coolant level.

An aftermarket reservoir is working just fine in my 2002 Sport for the past ~60K miles and ~5 years.

Just my 2 cents.
thanks- could you tell me the brand of reservoir you purchased, please ?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

spikepaga: I have a ~$30 no-name eBay purchase, probably from China. No leaks or stress cracks for the past ~60K miles and ~5 years.

For critical parts, and parts that are difficult to access and replace, quality brands are worth the extra $'s. But these coolant reservoirs are simple to replace, and when they leak, the coolant loss is very gradual thru the stress cracks. I'm under the hood all the time, so I will notice any slow coolant loss, and a ~$30 import works for me. Up to you if you prefer the $100+ Jaguar brand.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

My new OEM tank has a pinhole in the seam. Never had that issue with the Eurospare parts.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wa3ra
My new OEM tank has a pinhole in the seam. Never had that issue with the Eurospare parts.
Its not the venting hole? Yikes, I ended up ordering a tank from the dealer. I will make sure I check it when I pick it up today.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dwclapp

Just my 2 cents.
This happened on my XFR at 50k miles. all of a sudden it was leaking like crazy from the tank

Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

I got the new OEMJaguar tank and jaguar tank hose in today. For a moment I panicked because The coolant cominng out of the car was looking green under the sun as I did it in the driveway, but upon putting some more Jaguar orange/pink coolant from a sealed bottle, I realized it looks green under the sun for some reason.

The old tank certainly had stress cracks at the bottom. I am very happy I replaced it and the tank hose, as it gives me some type of security that it’s not going to crack at the worst moment. At least I feel safer taking a trip to Galveston to enjoy our brown gulf water or to Austin.