X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked Headlight/Taillight Film?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked Headlight/Taillight Film?

Hey Guys,

New X-type owner here (2002 3.0) and I've been trying to find somewhere online where I can buy some film to give my headlights and taillights a lightly smoked appearance. Not like those terrible black headlight covers you see on camaros, just something that will make for a nice color scheme with my silver paint. I ran a search and couldn't find anything, and am very new to the Jaguar ownership experience, so please excuse my ignorance. I am wanting to go with a film instead of a custom job so that I can go back to oem if my opinion changes. I've found one site with headlight film here. I'd be looking to go with the 50%. I've been lurking for about a week and this seems like a really great online community, glad to be a part! I plan on a mesh grill, some tasteful tint, and am considering a borla/interior wood kit/wood steering wheel. Thanks again for the help guys, sorry for the lengthy first post, I am very enthusiastic about my new baby!

P.S. - anybody know if any Dallas area dealers have any acm's in stock? I've heard Boardwalk in Ft. Worth has the best service.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Congratulations on your Jag! It's always fun getting a new ride and figuring out ways to personalize it. I know cosmetic things like tinting are subjective, but I don't understand why you would do that on headlights (or tailights) if their brightness would be reduced, if even a little. Maybe consider an HID kit instead. A lot of members have gotten the Borlas (me included) and I think they are a great bang for the buck enhancement.

Good luck getting your X-Type the way you want it!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when I first posted here, one of my threads was about this. I swore I saw an X-Type with smoked tail lamps, and it had a new tag on it like it was bought from the lot just like that. However, no one else has seen it. So maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

My suggestion to you would to find some tail light film, get an HID kit from ebay, and you'll see a big difference in your car's appearance.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, my main concern was finding it for the taillights, just wanted to see what the headlights would look like b/c I found a kit for cheap, haven't pulled the trigger yet though. I'd love to do HID, what are some good options in that area? Thanks for the welcome and the response!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

MR, do some searching on the site and you'll find a ton of info on what others did with HIDs. I haven't done it, but from what I read it doesn't sound that difficult if you have some patience and ability you can do it yourself Good luck and have some fun with you X!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRWindle
Hey Guys,

New X-type owner here (2002 3.0) and I've been trying to find somewhere online where I can buy some film to give my headlights and taillights a lightly smoked appearance. Not like those terrible black headlight covers you see on camaros, just something that will make for a nice color scheme with my silver paint. I ran a search and couldn't find anything, and am very new to the Jaguar ownership experience, so please excuse my ignorance. I am wanting to go with a film instead of a custom job so that I can go back to oem if my opinion changes. I've found one site with headlight film here. I'd be looking to go with the 50%. I've been lurking for about a week and this seems like a really great online community, glad to be a part! I plan on a mesh grill, some tasteful tint, and am considering a borla/interior wood kit/wood steering wheel. Thanks again for the help guys, sorry for the lengthy first post, I am very enthusiastic about my new baby!

P.S. - anybody know if any Dallas area dealers have any acm's in stock? I've heard Boardwalk in Ft. Worth has the best service.
Just go to any realiable tinting place and they will do your lights for you. I am in NYC and the guy right across the street from me tints the lights perfectly, and has done them on many other cars. I had him tint the fog lights on my Mustang Gt and they came out great.

Otherwise look into HID's..They have become inexpensive and you can get a great kit for the headlights and fog lights for under $200.