X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking After Turbo Replacement

Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking After Turbo Replacement

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Recently had my turbo replaced on Jaguar X Type 2 Litre Diesel 2004.

I had the car done, and on picking up the car - seemed fine. The car had a slight exhaust rattle after the repair had been completed, and took it to my local exhaust place a week after I had the work done and they found the exhaust was not fully connected up, it was together but just resting on the bolts, causing the rattle and was obviously not air tight. Can anyone tell me if the attached picture shows exhaust which pipes would have needed to be disconnected by the garage when they replaced my Turbo?

Full list of work done:

Replace Turbo Unit, Clean out oil feed and return pipe, remove intercooler and pipes and full clean and re-fit, oil and filter changes, run to temperature and road test completed.

There had been no smoking whilst this had been disconnected, and once I had the exhaust connected back up, the smoking began (which was the problem I had before the turbo got fixed). I'm wondering what damage having the exhaust disconnected may have caused? If Loss of back pressure caused damage to turbo etc or what damage could have occurred to other parts of the engine. I'm unsure as to whether it is likely to be oil left within the exhaust burning off, but it seems unlikely as there is quite a lot.

Not going to be driving it for a few days, so some answers would be appreciated so I can try and get the problem resolved before I need to use for any long journeys.

Attached Thumbnails Smoking After Turbo Replacement-disconnect-exhaust.jpg