X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some or All with HID self leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Some or All with HID self leveling?

Hi: I just got this '02 2.5 sport but it had no manual. I downloaded one courtesy of links on here (thank you) but cannot determine if my car was fitted with the HID self leveling headlight system. Enclosing the rear of the high beams are big black plastic cups, and there appear to be plastic screws accessible from the top between the high and low beam elements (I did not turn them) which would seem to provide adjustment of the beam angle. This is an early car from nov 2001 which I guess makes it a 2001.5 officially.
I only used the high beams once so far; they are extremely bright and bluer than the lows; like nothing I have ever seen on a normal incandescent-lit car. They seem correctly aligned. So do all these have HID self leveling headlights from day one or is that on later ones or part of an option package? Thank you.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Every factory HID has self levelling. Check your light switch, if there's a knob there for lowering or rising your headlights, the HID's are not factory.

Also, the high beams are never blue colored, in fact, they are regular halogen bulbs, even on HID cars. Maybe the PO changed these over, and you could still have factory HID's, but with other main beam bulbs.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All original spec UK HIDs were fitted with self levelling and jets for cleaning - legal requirement.

I think only the dipped beam (low) have HIDs, the full beam (high) don't.

It could well be that after market HIDs have been fitted to your car - a very popular mod, often discussed on this forum.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Thank you for the replies but I am still not clear about this. Everything I have read including a big long sticky on here suggests the mains are HID but the dipped are not which is different than your reply above, TGK711. My car has no jets for squirting embedded in the bumper as it is not a UK car but US spec. Maybe this is the source of confusion. I should have stipulated from the beginning this is a LHD US car. So rephrasing the original question: Did all US spec LHD X-type sport come with HID self leveling beams on either dipped or main? There is no command button on the light switch to carry out a leveling routine. I thought I might try to see if the car has a electronic control module up under the dash for the self leveling. That might clear up the mystery. --Tom H

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

There are 2 possibilities:

1: you have factory HID in the low beams, with auto levelling, and normal halogens in the high beams. (low beams are outer lights, high beams inner lights)

2: you have factory halogen lights, with "manual" (electrical, but user controlled) hight levelling, found under the main light switch.

anything else is after market.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Thomash, first, open up the drivers door and look in the door jam and see if you have a silver sticker there saying something to the effect of "This car equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs". If you have that sticker, you have the auto leveling headlights. Next, with the car parked about 6 feet back from a wall and the car running, turn on your headlights. Do you see the reflection on the wall moving up and down a little bit or did it stay in one spot? Staying in one spot means you have the fixed headlights or your auto levelling system is toast. If they move up and down, then you have the auto levelling. The final check is to look under the rear bumper at the lower control arm (runs to the center of the car). Out near the tire, you will see a small rod coming off of the lower control arm that goes to a small electrical box. If you see that, you have the auto levelling headlights.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Do US X Types with factory HID also have the headlight washers as standard? [This is the case in the UK]

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by TGK711
Do US X Types with factory HID also have the headlight washers as standard? [This is the case in the UK]
... and in Belgium.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The US X-types equipped with factory HID dipped beams do not necessarily have the headlight washers. I am not sure if it was an option, but mine has factory HID and no washers.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 PM

There are none of the indicators listed above present on my car so I guess I don't have HID self leveling headlights. Thank you for helping me understand this.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:59 AM

Did you not say that you do NOT have the levelling button on the main light switch? On UK (and European?) models if you have factory fitted HID you don't have the manual levelling adjustment knob. We know from replies above that US models don't have the headlight washer jets as standard with the factory HID.

So you may still have factory fitted HID but with the levelling system not working.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

My kitty is an '03 US with HID. When i bought it i noticed the headlights doing their little dance, so it has the leveling system. (No headlight washers, btw.)
However, on the left light, the plastic adjusting screw mentioned earlier is connected to a toothed rod inside the assembly, which was shattered so that light pointed up into the trees. I bought a new headlight assembly (AutoPartsWarehoue - OES Genuine Jaguar X-Type Headlight Assembly W0133-1657822) that looks identical and authentic, but after replacing the headlight the leveling system seems to have shut itself off. There was only the single electrical connector to the headlight - did is miss something? Ot is it that these "OES" (S for Specification - as opposed to OEM) headlights just don't do the leveling thang?

Last edited by MeatBag; 04-11-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typos make me look like a retard
Old 04-11-2010, 05:07 PM

When I purchased my 2004 w/factory HID, the dipped beam lights did not project very far ahead of the car. I took it back to the Jaguar dealer that I purchased it from and they used their computer to reprogram the module or modules. It now works perfectly. There were no obvious error codes before the reprogramming. Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 PM

It is true that I have no manual leveling button on or near the headlight control switch. I could not find a sticker in any door jamb mentioning HID. I could find no rod or attachment from the rear of the car to the suspension control arm. I did not look under the dash for a control module yet. There are giant cups on the rear of the outer headlamp assemblies; I have not twisted them off to see what is in there.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:51 PM

I have a 2004 x-type and I recently had an accident with a deer. Car was in the shop for 2 weeks, $6300 in repairs with two new headlights (among other stuff), but afterwards it looked great. I picked the car up yesterday but noticed today that my new HIDs do not auto level (the old ones did). I do have the sticker in the door that says something about mercury and HID headlamps, if that was the one referred to. My question is if they should be leveling and do I need to go back to the body shop and complain? They told me that they ordered the headlights right from Jag, $1300 a piece.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sqenixs, yes, the HID headlights are self leveling. They may have simply not got the plug on all the way, but they could have done something else. One thing that I would check is to see if the headlights are properly aimed (pull up behind a truck and see that the headlights are aimed downward, not trying to light up the tailgate). I have found that if the internals of the headlights are damaged, it can cause the self leveling portion of the headlights to act up and give you problems.