X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Why don't you belive them? Autolites are very common in Ford engines. You will be
fine with Autolite double platiums. Part Number APP605.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I used the NGK Iridium on mine. I have read and mostly agree that some of the other Plugs out there can create problems due to resistance and/or temp.

As far as the "split" plugs. I don't get it. If all the tangs on the plug are in the same hole, exposed to the same conditions, build up or burn out will occur on all tangs equally. Maybe it is to give the spark more ground area to discharge to instead of a small single tang. This seems to be the only good purpose of multiple tangs. Another is the arrangement of the tangs keep a more open center in the plug. With one tang, you cover the center and electrode. However spark is spark, no matter where it is located it will ignite the compressed air/fuel mixture. I isn’t no rocket scientist.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just get OEM spark plugs from your Jaguar parts dealer? I can't imagine the price differential would be that material, and it would give you confidence that you're using factory approved spark plugs.

Or at the very least, visit the dealership and ask them what brand and part number the spark plugs are, then shop around for quotes from Autozone, etc.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

While I haven't done anything with the 3.0L motor in my Jag, my experience with the Bosch +4's in the newer motors, you won't gain anything other than a lighter wallet. My experience comes from a Ford 5.4L motor. I installed the +4's into that motor hoping for a few extra ponies, possibly some better mileage. I saw ZERO!!!! change. So, save your money, go with a basic double platinum plug and call it good. As for Autolites being better than NGK, better than BOsch, etc, etc, as long as the plug is of good quality, you are going to get the same result from the engine. Now, if you are running high energy coils, high RPMs, etc, then yes there is a slight difference. But, in those cases, there are certain characteristics you are looking for and this will then make a difference.

So, pick a brand, buy them, and call it good with no worries.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar, Ford, & Autolite

FWIW, Autolite was Ford at one time.

Back in the day, Autolite was a Ford subsidiary, kind of like GM & Delco, Chrysler & Mopar. It was a Ford brand. Autolite meant "Genuine Ford Part" as it were.

Ford sold Autolite to Alan Bradley, maker of very fine switches & such, and continued to use Autolite parts and began creating the Motorcraft brand as genuine Ford. Then they spun off their Visteon division as a stand alone company that tried to build on the "Genuine Ford" brand name (your transfer case is made by Visteon) and so on and so forth.

Point is, Ford (Jaguar till recently) and Autolite used to be one and the same and still have a close relationship.

That's why Ford (Jaguar till recently) uses lots of Autolite parts. Okay, I've bored you enough with ancient history.

Adios