X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs and leaking valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Spark plugs and leaking valve cover

I'm going to pull off the intake and replace the valve cover gaskets so what do I need as far as parts to do the job? (2.5 liter)

*Valve cover gaskets
*Intake manifold gaskets
*Spark plugs- Best type?

Anything else?

Thanks, Chris

Old 08-02-2017, 02:54 PM

New PCV valve as it seems to be leaking on the valve cover.

Hasn't anyone done this job?

Old 08-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

These cars have cam covers in lieu of valve covers. But when you're doing spark plugs, you don't get into that. You're only dealing with intake manifold gaskets -upper and lower, or plenum gaskets. Both sets of manifold gaskets are very critical to the performance of the car. If not done and done correctly, you will have vacuum leaks that will make it run like crap.

The following users liked this post:
Mr rx-7 tt (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

These parts work:
+ Spark plugs: Autolite Double Platinum APP605
+ Lower intake gaskets: Fel-Pro MS 96485
+ Upper intake gaskets: Fel-Pro MS 96494
+ Valve cover gaskets: Fel-Pro VS50615R

Amazon and eBay have some surprisingly competitive prices.

The following users liked this post:
Mr rx-7 tt (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Chris, when it comes to spark plugs, the more simple the plug is, the better you are going to like them. With that being said, you do need to stick with a platinum (sometimes referred to as double platinum) plugs. The cheaper "old style" plugs that are not platinum work in the car, but you will be replacing them after about 20K miles. ONce you do the job, you will be glad you paid the extra $1 per plug to get something that lasts 5 times longer.

What dwclapp lists as gaskets is all that you should need. Do you need to do those gaskets? No, not really. But, the cost of the gaskets is fairly cheap and it is cheap insurance from getting a vacuum leak in say 10K miles and having to pull everything back apart again.

I would say if you want some help, I am about 3 hours north of you. I am sure we can get what you need done in an afternoon. I Have all the tools.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by foxbottom
These cars have cam covers in lieu of valve covers. But when you're doing spark plugs, you don't get into that. You're only dealing with intake manifold gaskets -upper and lower, or plenum gaskets. Both sets of manifold gaskets are very critical to the performance of the car. If not done and done correctly, you will have vacuum leaks that will make it run like crap.
That's nice to know. I have a small oil leak it drips on the garage floor every one in a while and you can smell oil when you drive. It gets on the exhaust manifold. It looks like there is oil around the PVC hose going into the valve cover. Maybe that's the only issue?

I'll look at it today. I would still like to replace the plugs though.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dwclapp
These parts work:
+ Spark plugs: Autolite Double Platinum APP605
+ Lower intake gaskets: Fel-Pro MS 96485
+ Upper intake gaskets: Fel-Pro MS 96494
+ Valve cover gaskets: Fel-Pro VS50615R

Amazon and eBay have some surprisingly competitive prices.
Thanks Dyson, that's what I was looking for.

Trending Topics

Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Chris, when it comes to spark plugs, the more simple the plug is, the better you are going to like them. With that being said, you do need to stick with a platinum (sometimes referred to as double platinum) plugs. The cheaper "old style" plugs that are not platinum work in the car, but you will be replacing them after about 20K miles. ONce you do the job, you will be glad you paid the extra $1 per plug to get something that lasts 5 times longer.
I pay $40 dollars for a single plug on my RX-7 so I'm not so worried about the cost, so I will get the platinum plugs as you suggest.

What dwclapp lists as gaskets is all that you should need. Do you need to do those gaskets? No, not really. But, the cost of the gaskets is fairly cheap and it is cheap insurance from getting a vacuum leak in say 10K miles and having to pull everything back apart again.
I'll just buy what Dyson listed. I like to do the job once.

I would say if you want some help, I am about 3 hours north of you. I am sure we can get what you need done in an afternoon. I Have all the tools.
I appreciate the offer Chris, but I don't think it's that bad of a job to make the drive worth it.