X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalled with Handbrake on - Engine Mgmnt light won't go out now...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stalled with Handbrake on - Engine Mgmnt light won't go out now...

I started my 2002 X-Type (Manual) just now - and put it in First Gear, with the clutch depressed and handbrake still on... My wet shoe slipped of the clutch pedal and it shot up instantly - the car lurched forwards and immediately stalled, with quite a 'thud'.

The car started back up again fine - but the Engine Management light would not go out - and it appears to now be in 'Limp Home mode' (although it still accelerates pretty quickly - just not as much as normal).

It is driving fine apart from that - with no unusual noises - and I'm sure a stall would not have done any significant damage to the car...

Does anyone have any experience of this - or know why the light won't go out? Is it likely to be a simple sensor that's been triggered, but due to it being a Jag, they keep the lights on, so the dealers can generate an income from a simple code reading / light extinguishing service?

I'm new to Jags - so a bit worried and also a bit sceptical that it's nothing much - but I'll have to pay a Jag dealer extorsionate prices to tell me it's all fine...

Regards,

Steve.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Steve,

I've moved this from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center section to X-Type section.

Graham

Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It's reading code P1647 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (O2 heater).

Thanks Graham,

I took the car to my local garage. They read the code as P1647 - turned it off and ran it for a few miles, with it staying off - but I started it up on collecting from the garage, and it (Engine Mgmnt light) came back on.

They said it must be intermittent, as he drove it several miles and all was ok - and ran some more diagnostics whilst I was there. The Tech said it was a Bank 2, Sensor 1, O2 sensor heating element fault.

He believed, due to it coming on only after me collecting it, that it was due to cold starting only - from the heater element not working on the cold sensor.

They told me to bring it back in the next day, to thoroughly check over the sensors and wires etc.

I've read up quite a bit on the forum tonight, about the P1647 code - and although there are some worry stories of it becoming a sometimes complicated matter to fix (with new codes then appearing) - the general consensus seems to be that if it's not a relay / fuse blown, or wiring - then you just need to replace the O2 sensor with an OEM part.

Could any of the Tech guys on the forum please confirm if this is correct (or offer any additional advice)?

I'm just a bit thrown by the way this happened, after re-starting the engine from a stall. Could the jolt from the stall be enough to break the heating element in the sensor, or yank one of the wires out? Or do you just think it is a big coincidence that the sensor failed anyway, at the same time turned the engine on?...

Regards,

Steve.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm not one of the expert tech guys (one of my most recent posts suggested using a big rubber hammer to smack the AC Clutch on forum member Disguay's car!), but only one time out of maybe eight times have I ever had to replace an O2 sensor on any car, regardless of the code.

The wires or connectors seem to always be the culprit - loose and/or corroded.

Given the "jolt" your car experienced, I'd just get under the car and start wiggling and checking everything.

Best 'o Luck!

(and for Christmas, buy yourself some nice Driving Slippers, so your foot doesn't slide off the pedal ever again!)