X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel and Lighting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel and Lighting Issues

Hi there, i recently bought a 2003 X-Type 2.5 AWD. When I drove it in the parking lot of the dealer, it ran fine but once i start speeding up on the highway then my steering wheel started to shake and vibrate. Ever since then now it shakes in any speed (occasionally not shaking for a short period of time) what could this be? bent rim? or something more serious?

The other couple of issues i found is when i have the lights turn on, the inside lighting the temperature display and the dashboard lights up and brightens fine but the radio stays dimmed? how can i fix that?

My reverse lights are also not working (stick shift) could the radio light be a side effect of reverse lights?

I really appreciate it more than I could say for any information you can give me.

Thank you guys.

B.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Default RE: Steering Wheel and Lighting Issues

I have a 2003 X-Type 2.5 (auto) and Iexperienced the steering wheel vibration problem. It turned out to be the driveshaft. It was covered under the extended warranty. I fortunately have not had any problems with lighting.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

ORIGINAL: tanboi09us
Hi there, i recently bought a 2003 X-Type 2.5 AWD. When I drove it in the parking lot of the dealer, it ran fine but once i start speeding up on the highway then my steering wheel started to shake and vibrate. Ever since then now it shakes in any speed (occasionally not shaking for a short period of time) what could this be? bent rim? or something more serious?
Gonna go with a possible out-of-balance rim first. Can happen if the weights get knocked off the wheels. Thats a cheap 1st attempt at a solution, then work your way up the drivetrain.

Not sure what to tell you about those lights. Sorry.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 AM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhh mr bojangles just rode on this guy

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA

damnit i need to buy this extended warrenty :/

Old 03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

A manual transmission X without reverse lights is normally the switch on top of the transmission. Reverse switch. They go bad frequesntly.

As for the light in the audio unit. There is a single wire going to the audio unit that controls dimmer lighting. I bet it is either broken or pulled out of connector. Easy enough to check once you have radio pulled out.

Vibration? I go with warped rotors, bad tires or wheel balance.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lighting display in the radio possibly bad as well
not aware of fix for this without radio repacement
vibration I"d guess bent wheel or wheels

Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 PM

thank you for everyone for posting information. Sorry I wasn't very clear with purchase information: I bought it from a RepoLot Dealership for very very cheap price compare to what they are asking normally for a car in this condition. They wouldn't allow me to leave the parking lot because they don't have plates to put on the cars...

I called the Jag dealership because I checked both bulbs and then look at the passenger fuse box and it says there is supposed to be a relay (r17) but there is nothing there, and then i also found another fuse that is related to reverse lights and that was in place but not burnt. They told me I should check f34 fuse which is related to the manual shift fuse with reverse lights. So I am going to do that today but I don't understand why they have a relay for reverse lights and not have anything in there???

The vibration issue is solved: The repo place had 1 tire bigger than the rest 3 and the out of the three the passenger front tire was cracked and bulged, so once i bought new tires the vibration is gone. Now i am thinking is alignment really necessary??? I hate to take my car to shops because those people seem to leave marks on the car such as chips dents and what not. And I am really picky with that..

thank you to all who gave me any information on how to fix my problems. And to those who are here to make fun of others, all i have to say is Karma. :P It will come back to you.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

a alignment check is always a good idea.. when putting new tires on.. exspecially buying it from a repo place.. piece of mind knowing your new tires wont be bald on the inner edge in a month..

Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM

If you dont want to go to a shop, take it to the dealer and get a real alignment by people that know your car. As Genius said, if you neglect the alignment after tire replacement, you are asking for your new tires to get eaten off.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 PM

and plus we got the best alignment machines..one we got was 40k

Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Hunter laser machine?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM

yep.. and she is sweet .. very fast doing alingment

Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM

ok, then i will definitely get an alignment, as far as the lighting goes, there is not a fuse f34 shown in the picture for fuse boxes on owner's manual and in the list it says it is not used, so i am not sure why the dealership told me to check that because i can't even locate it.So I am going to take the car in for reverse light problem unless there is another way i canfix it myself.I found out that my covers were off on one side of the headlights so i put the cover back on inside but they seem to just sit there and would possibly move if i would go through a pothole or something. is it supposed to be that way?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM

there is to metal 2.5 inch clips that hold it it.. the fold over the cover..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 AM

So I was messing around inside the car last nite, and found out that my headlight that was pointing low had the cover off just hanging inside. So i put the cover back on and put the metal clips over the covers But the light itself seems to just sit there losely as if i go through a rough road or a pothole is it going to move out of its place?????

there wasn't a fuse numbered F34 that was listed under the pic of the fuse boxes. In the list it says that it is a diode 3 and it is not used. So i am not sure why the dealership told me to check that for not having reverse lights. FJT: is it easy to change the reverse switch and how do i go around doing that?

With the inside panel lights, when i dim it all the way they are are equally dark, when i start to brighten up everything brightens up including the radio, but the screen that shows the temperature and the lights for the gages gets brighter while the radio just gets a little brighter and stops, so i am thinking it can't be the cable otherwise it wouldn't do anything if there was a lose or bad connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
hope everyone is having a great day

Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM

The radio will always be slightly dimmer than climate panel. Thought you meant it didntchange at all.
Reverse switch is easy. Look down from battery slightly toward engine and you will see a big nut looking switch with connector on top. That is reverse switch. Do it cold.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 PM

for your light assembly.. the inner clip that holds the assembly breaks someitmes when changin the pilot bulb,..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM

i will definitely check that out for the reverse switch. THe radio light is majorly dimmer than the rest. Even my roommate who owns a 2003 Jag x-type 3.0 said that is weird when he drove my car. so i am not sure what's wrong with it but i guess if i can't find an answer i am not going to spend tons of money to fix it.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 AM

Probably not worth it to get it traced. If it is dimming, but not like it should, either resistance in wiring to dimmer in audio unit or audio unit itself.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel and Lighting Issues