X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Shaking

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Shaking

Hi all! My issue is that my steering wheel shakes at all speeds. It shakes more or less depending on how bumpy the road is. It's not effected when I brake. It starts and remains the same when I hit about 15mph. To help diagnose I had the alignment, balance and rotate all done at the same time. The wheels are not bent, tires are great as well as the tire pressure. The auto shop said that they cant see anything wrong (so Ive been passing state inspections with no issues.) I must say though that when I turn left, if its quiet, I can here a very slight knocking sound BUT my wheel doesn't knock with it....I need someone to PLEASE lay some knowledge on me. I know enough about cars but this has me stumped.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Welcome to the forum NotTheLotion,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center forum to X-Type forum. The Advice / Feedback section is not for tech questions but members here will be able to help with the shakes issue.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM

I just came back from a hobby shop where I jacked it up, took off all of wheels and inspected them all. The issue was found! The front left wheel bearing knocks when turned. Its frustrating that I took my car in so many times and they couldn't identify this yet it took me 30 minutes to find it...by myself! The veteran mechanic there confirmed it and so did the other people working on there cars. Either way, Im looking forward to getting it fixed since the issue has been correctly identified. I have scheduled for it to be changed so I will post whether this really does fix the issue so that others wont have to go through months of guessing as I have and learn from my misfortune.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Great news and good luck..report back when you have it all fixed..

Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 PM

OK! Here is the deal. My steering wheel has stopped shaking!!!!! YAY! What did I do you ask-good question and I have two theories BECAUSE I have not changed the when bearing. It stopped when I changed one of my lugs nuts that was stripped and adjusted the caliper. Maybe the lug nut wasn't on tight cause it was stripped. I don't know. All I know is that once I put my car back together-Presto! But now there is another problem. the fluid in my coolant reservoir has turned to a pink milkshake! Now my car overheats quickly and the radiator fan stays on for a while after I turn my car off. I need to know what caused this and what liquid goes in that coolant reservoir cause apparently what I added 3 or 4 days ago has made something go wrong.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 PM

SO, I feel like such a fool because I have been reading wrong information and have been applying the same knowledge I have about Hondas to the jag which has cost me this incident. I am SOO embarrassed to say this but I accidently added ATF fluid to the radiator. Good news is that Im finding that it is easy but time consuming to flush the system. Just glad my transmission wasn't effected.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Notthelotion - so glad you got the original issue resolved, nice work.

Looks like you have another issue now with the coolant?

I'm going to close this thread though as its resoloved and a totally different question.
Please start a new thread, with a relevant title so we can try and get you the best help possible ASAP

Thanks