X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stereo replacement?

I have an 03 X-type that has a non-functioning CD player, also a little bubble on the screen of the climate control window.

Due to the fact that these are connected, i figured I can do one of three things.

1) Buy an entire replacement of all the center console electronics and replace them.

2) I was thinking if I am going to so what I suggested in the first otion, I might as well upgrade to the GPS unit that I have seen in other X-Types. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW HARD IT WILL BE TO UPGRADE THIS? Do I have to run new wires throughout the car? Or will the existing wiring harness work with both the GPS unit and the standard?

3) Does anyone know of a good aftermarket option for any of this that won't completely destroy the look and feel of the dash?

In the end I would love to have iPod connectivity if I can, but if that is not in the cards, then just getting CD would be good enough.

Pleas give me your input.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I just installed an Alpine INA-W900BT and it looks (see photo) and works great. It has navagation, Bluetooth Handsfree for your cell phone, you can play music via Bluetooth from your cell phone or any other Bluetooth device and it has great iPod connectivity. Plus you can add any number of other modules to give you XM or Serious radio, HD radio, a high end amplifier, and it plays CDs and DVDs (including movies).

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Stereo replacement?-12152010002.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this, i put in a kenwood system and it is awesome. Sounds great. Go to crutchfield.com if you want to order a system. They give you the harness, attena adaptor, and metra faceplate for free. You also have the option to order the ipod cable.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Climate Control Unit is a seperate part

The climate control unit is a seperate part. I had a stain in the center of the temperature display window, and I bought a new climate control unit online for $40. It was relatively easy to put in, but the trim panel color was off a bit, so I swapped out for the original one to get an exact match. In the process of taking the original apart to get the trim panel, I discovered that there is a thin plastic membrane over the glass (anti-scratch or something) and that a spot of oil or something had gotten between the glass and the plastic - no wonder no amount of scrubbing would get it off! once I cleaned it up (looks perfect again) I ended up putting the original unit back in.

As for the radio replacement, I would love to do that too - mostly to get an MP3 player or at least an input jack for an MP3 player - and a nav unit would be nice too. But isn't that more complixated than swapping out old for new? Isn't there another DVD drive in the trunk of cars with nav units? which also means wiring to run all around the car, etc... Or is my imagination getting ahead of me and is really isn't so bad? Do tell...

Last edited by MeatBag; 12-27-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I had neither a Nav unit or a trunk mounted multiple cd changer, so that depends on what you have in your car. Several years ago a buddy and I installed a much less complex single din unit with XM and Bluetooth into another car and that was just at the limit of our abilities. Therefore, I opted to have a professional put in this unit. As can be seen from the photo above, he did a great job and I'm very happy with the result.

I had previously talked to the Jaguar dealer about installing the factory XM and Nav system but they are not really setup to do that work and quoted my $10,000 for the job. The Alpine unit, installed, cost me $1500 and is more advanced than the factory unit.

Mark

Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not very good mechanically...at all...but i was able to do this. If you have a 2002 or 2003 model make sure the double din unit is no more than 6.5 inch in depth. There are a bunch of threads here on the installs, so just look around.