X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension questions

Hi guys, I am fairly new to this forum so dont flame me for not searching effectively enough!

Anyways, I have a 2002 X-Type sport with 135,000km and the suspension is feeling very soft and I am getting some weird clunking from the rear.

I suspect my shocks have bit the dust and was also told last year after an alignment that the car is sitting quite a bit lower in the rear possibly due to sagging/worn rear springs.

My question is if there are any cost efficient coilover setups for our cars? I have searched around and can only find the KW V1 setup (which I am sure is awesome as I have the same setup on my E46 M3) but it is quite pricey.

Can anyone reccomend a good set of lowering springs and shocks that keep the car comfortable but will give the more aggressive look along with some more rigid balanced handling?

Can anyone reccomend any good vendors for aftermarket parts or even OEM parts? I only know of Mina Gallery

I will also be looking at replacing all worn suspension bushings when I do this suspension facelift so need to know what I should be looking to replace and where I can source the parts. I want the car to drive like new with a little bit more rigid handling, not looking for anything too crazy but dont want to replace with stock parts if I can upgrade to better parts for around the same pricing.

The car is my winter car only so I have some time to source everything and put together a list of items I will need for this project, so I am really looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Go k&n or eibach. They'll stiffen it up. The clunking is either coming from strut bushings, sway bar bushings or lower control arm bushings.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The KW coilovers for our cars are great! The car will be much stiffer and lower. However, I do agree with you that it is a bit pricey.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, not sure about the guy who said k&n suspension lol!
Anyways, can anyone make some suggestions on where to source oem and or aftermarket parts for the xtype? I am looking for some well respected online vendors to source suspension and aftermarket parts for my car and can't find anyone other than Mina gallery.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akgambino
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, not sure about the guy who said k&n suspension lol!
Anyways, can anyone make some suggestions on where to source oem and or aftermarket parts for the xtype? I am looking for some well respected online vendors to source suspension and aftermarket parts for my car and can't find anyone other than Mina gallery.

Thanks
jcwhitney.com is always a good choice. VERY reputable and have a large selection of oem comparable parts. For aftermarket parts, I would suggest no other place than ebay. Ebay has just about any and everything under the sun and as long as you make no boneheaded mistakes, then you're golden.

If you're not too big on using ebay for whatever reason, you could also try jagbits.com (haven't heard any bad things about them). If you're looking for those specific eibach or h&r lowering springs you could also try out tunersdepot.com

I also found a junkyard database online ( car-part.com ) that has been really reliable. You search by car, part, and the location of the junkyard. The site provides contact info (usually an email address, and sometimes accompanied by a phone #). Good for finding more oem parts without too much wear and tear.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

k&n??? LOL....I think maybe H&R. There is a German Jaguar aftermarket parts supplier, Arden (http://shop.arden.de/?___store=en). A bit pricey, but if the pocketbook allows they've got some good stuff. I think you'll end up with Eibach or H&R as they're the most economical choice. BTW, the rear shocks on mine were crap at 50K. I replaced all four corners with Bilstein HDs.
For suspension bushings, try Powerflex (http://www.powerflex.co.uk). It's an English parts maker that does good quality poly bushings (there are N.A. distributors). They produce front and rear swaybar mount bushes and both front and rear bushings for the front control arms. The rear control arm bushing is designed to allow caster adjustment. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by PreJag; 07-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.