Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problem?

Hello all.

I am new here. Just picked up an 02 X type sport with the 3.0.
We are having a strange issue with the ABS. I am thinking it's a speed sensor from reading other posts, but wanted to get some opinions.

When I am braking I can feel the pedal drop a little just before we come to a stop and then the ABS seems to kick in and I get the pulsating. It doesn't do it all the time, but seems to be worse when stopping on ramps from higher speeds. There are no check engine or ABS lights on.

Also the button for the DSC is not working and seems to be stuck. yesterday I got the DSC button to work once and saw the info say DSC on. It seems to have helped lessen the problem, but it's still there a little. I know the 2 systems are connected so I thought maybe it would help. I don't want to be driving around in an unsafe condition. I put about 80 miles a day on the car and I feel as though I won't be able to stop in an emergency situation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pat

Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Rabbit, what I would say is to get out and do a few hard brakes from a decent speed. This should force a code to occur. I would expect a code like C1155, C1165, C1175, or C1185. Those are the 4 wheel codes. From there, that will narrow it down to a single wheel. Odds are, you are looking at a rear wheel though as that seems to be where most of us have issues. You can try removing the wheel and then removing the wheel speed sensor. From there, you can look down in the hole for a toothed gear there. If you don't see it, then odds are that is your problem. I would also look at the wiring for the rear wheels too. Some people have had issues with something getting under the car and damaging the wiring, leading to random issues.

Hope this all helps.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks
I did try that last night. Couldn't get a code to come up.

How hard is it to get at the sensor? Any write ups or how to articles?
I haven't had any time off to crawl around under car yet.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Rabbit, if you can remove a tire, you can access the speed sensors. So, get the car supported properly in the air, remove the tire from that corner of the car. If you look, you will have a cable running to the area near the rotor. That is your wheel speed sensor. It is held in with a single screw. The speed sensor will be a black plastic piece about 1/2" x 1" in size as I recall. You can pull it out and do a visual of it. Look at the end of the sensor. If you see rubbing marks on it, there is a good chance the sensor is damaged and that is your problem. Look the wiring over for any damage to the insulation (if you can see copper, problem). Also look for the wiring making a sudden change in direction (ie, very sharp bend). that can possibly indicate a broken wire inside the insulation.

If you want to check the sensor, what you will need to do is to get a multimeter and clip the leads to the 2 pins of the sensor. Set the multimeter to the 2VDC range scale. Now, using a piece of steel (large screw driver, scrap piece of steel, etc), wave the steel in front of the sensor as you watch the multimeter. You should see the multimeter jump all over the place. Just make sure not to strike the end of the sensor. This can damage the sensor. The faster the metal moves past the sensor, the more the multimeter will change.

Repeat for each wheel. The front wheel sensors are mounted at the 12 o'clock position. The rears I do not recall right off hand.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 AM

Thanks. I will check it out as soon as I can get some garage time. Have to work all weekend.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Ok, seems the problem is the tone ring on the rear drivers side is cracked.
What's involved in this repair and any idea what it may cost?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Rabbit, replacing the rear hub is not difficult. It will probably take about 3 hours to do. If you pay someone to do this, plan on spending about $500.

The following users liked this post:
RapidRabbit (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Thanks thermo.
Where can I get the outer cv joint? Dealer wants to sell me the whole drive shaft for $1000.

I did find the part number in an old thread. Called the Jaguar dealer and they can get the cv joint in 3-5 days for $180.
The dealer I bought it from is paying part of the cost too under my 90 day warranty. Hopefully it solves the problem.

Thanks for all the help. I would have been in for a major chunk of change if not for the forum.

Last edited by RapidRabbit; 06-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Just wanted to update quick and say thanks. Replaced the drivers side rear cv joint and all is good now. The ring was broken in several places and very rusty. It's nice to step on the pedal and feel like I can stop again.

Thanks for all the help. Saved me a lot of time and money.