X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swaping 2.5 for Lincoln LS 3.0 advise????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default swaping 2.5 for Lincoln LS 3.0 advise????

Hi There.

The old 2.5 is not going to make it. I will need a new engine before too long. If I bought a Lincoln 3.0 engine, can I use the parts from my 2003 2.5 to swap on the 3.0 LS engine?

If I get the Lincoln engine, does any year from 2003 to 2005 work? I would like to pull the engine from the top.

I have seen most of the threads on the swaps that have been done, and I would like a bit of insight as to getting the right engine.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Based on the first guy that did it, yes.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you swap Lincoln LS transmissions for the x-type 3.0L automatic from 2002? If so, how compatible are the two transmisisons?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

jaguarnewbie,

that is the most vague question I have ever seen.

Which way are you talking about - Lincoln to jag or vice versa?
you do realise that the jag is AWD and has a transfer case bolted to the trasnmission?

If the transmissions are not perfectly compatible, is there any percentage that is enough?

99% will only make the car into a very heavy paperweight!

lol not being a ***** really, I just cant find a helpful answer.

To the OP: How did you manage to kill the 2.5? these are pretty good engines.... mine has huge miles on it and still does not make any noises or burn any oil.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it has been done a few times if i remember. And the transmissions i belive are the same.

If you keep the accersorys fromt he 2.5 which i think are the same as the jag 3.0, strip the lincoln block and the jag block you are looking at two identical blocks in every way. Ive never done it but maybe wait for someone witha bit more info ont he transmission.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@ sport 30

I have 123,000 miles on it all original to the transmission and TC case, I was just curious if the transmissions in the Lincoln LS and the 2002 x-type FWD was compatible. I don't need to replace my transmission, I was just curious. I had just heard that the lincoln LS was similar to the x-type, and wasn't sure in which aspects.

Last edited by Jaguarnewbie2011; 01-22-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Hi Sport 30.

I bought the car with 80k on the odometer. I changed all the fluids and put 10k gentle miles on it. I started to hear some rod like noises from the engine. I took it to my mechanic buddy's place and we put it on the rack. We couldn't really identify the placement of the noise, so we went through the whole exercise of dropping the pan. That in itself is a big deal. So, a couple of the rod bottom end bearings were way past spec. Just poor maintenance on the previous owner I guess.
We put some new Ford Contour beaerings in it and it sounded OK (just a slight knock) for a few hundred miles. A new hard knock has come. I took it to an engine guy, and he said that it is a rod. Just changing the bearings hardly ever works. (the crank was fine. The bearings were just worn out.)
I also took it to another guy (transmission place). He said it sure sounds like a flex plate problem. I guess a cracked flex plate will sound like that too. He wanted $1200 to drop the trans and look for a bad flex plate.

At this point, I think I can hear a bad flex plate AND a bad bearing. In any event, I need to pull the engine. If I find a bad bearing, I will just swap out the engine. I just want to know what my options are. I don't want to get this Lincoln engine ordered, and find out the cam from the 2.5 won't fit the Lincoln 3.0 (to drive the water pump.) There is a $600 difference in engines, so it is worth it to me to do a few hours work on the garage floor.
I just wanted to hear from someone that had some direct experience, or knowledge on this.

To answer the other guy about the trans, the LS trans will not come anywhere close to fitting in the X type. Our trans is a Jatco transverse mount, like the VW jetta (I believe.) Like the trans guy said: the trans was not very highly regarded, lol.

The Lincoln LS is a longitudinal engine mount with rear wheel drive.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarnewbie2011
@ sport 30

I have 123,000 miles on it all original to the transmission and TC case, I was just curious if the transmissions in the Lincoln LS and the 2002 x-type FWD was compatible. I don't need to replace my transmission, I was just curious. I had just heard that the lincoln LS was similar to the x-type, and wasn't sure in which aspects.
no such thing as a X-Type FWD..all X-Types are all wheel drive all the time.

important question, does the 2.5 and 3.0 use the same transmission and identical bellhousings?

i know someone on here swapped out his xtype 3.0 for a LS 3.0 when his blew. it was a bolt in no issues from what i read in his thread.
so if the 2.5 is the same transmission as the 3.0 i would GUESS and say the lincon 3.0 will bolt on to your transmission.
you will probably need engine mounts... but if its the identical block you may not...but if you have it out at least make sure yours are in good condition.
you will definatelly need the computers out of a 3.0...going to guess and say the jag computer not the ls.
next, fuel system. look into the fuel pump requirements... you do not want to be giving less fuel than the engine requires.

to be completly honest, i dont think its worth it for this swap...just have your 2.5 rebuilt, it will be cheaper, and you will run into a lot less issues.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM

To put an end to this question from someone who just did it...yes the 03+ Lincoln ls engineis a direct fit! Aside from the necessary external swaps and waterpump cam swap. And NO the Lincoln trans will not work. Ford just used identical blocks...period! Stop racking your brain with the rest. A JAG is a JAG, a Lincoln is a Lincoln after that point.
Look up my post as to what to change. Really easy and worth the money diff! Good luck.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettomike
no such thing as a X-Type FWD..all X-Types are all wheel drive all the time.
there are pleny of FWD X-Types in Europe. I think they are all 2.0 diesels.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sport30
there are pleny of FWD X-Types in Europe. I think they are all 2.0 diesels.

Yes they did make fwd diesels. Just not in north america..a shame

Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Early Lincoln LS's done have VVT's. Unless you were just looking to use the shortblock?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Yes they did make fwd diesels. Just not in north america..a shame
really???this is the first i heard of it... usually the X in any cars name means awd.

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
To put an end to this question from someone who just did it...yes the 03+ Lincoln ls engineis a direct fit! Aside from the necessary external swaps and waterpump cam swap. And NO the Lincoln trans will not work. Ford just used identical blocks...period! Stop racking your brain with the rest. A JAG is a JAG, a Lincoln is a Lincoln after that point.
Look up my post as to what to change. Really easy and worth the money diff! Good luck.
i thought you did 3.0 jag to 3.0 LS???