X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In tAftermarket Anti Roll Bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Aftermarket Anti Roll Bars

I'm in the process of talking with Addco about having some custom bent anti roll bars built for the x type. In my initial contact I let them know that there would probably be a small crowd from JaguarForums to purchase them if they weren't to highly priced. I also informed them that, due to Justink's suspension build, we know that the Mazda 3 front bar will work so for now to just work on the rear until I hear more. I'm hoping Justink will chime in on this and let us know if he ever got that bolted up to ensure that it will work.

They finally responded to my questions a couple days ago and asked for pictures and measurements so I sent them in just a little bit ago and I also told them that the ends of the rears are threaded to accept the end links so they new thicker ones would have to retain that same thread count and depth so we could use factory end links. If anyone has any ideas for a new, better end link, please chime in with opinions so I can pass them along. I'd love to go with an adjustable aftermarket end link!

So, right now, I'm wondering how many people would be interested in some thicker replacement anti roll bars for their X? There hasn't been any talk of pricing yet, just me saying that I could probably get a few buyers if they weren't astronomically priced.

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 09-23-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling error in title
Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mentality, have you looked at the Volvo S40 roll bar? That may work for you or atleast give the shop a good starting place on how to form the bar. Personally, I would be looking at a different end mount for the bar since you are going with a thicker bar which will mean more stresses on the end links. Just a thought. They may have some ideas too. I would need to sit down and see what sort of strain that I can come up with to help with the overall design.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah I looked into the s40 and if the direct replacement from addco is super expensive I'll probably try the s40 design but for now, I like the idea of a direct bolt on. The biggest I could find for the s40 is 24mm. I'm looking for a 25 or greater. I know 1mm isn't much at all but if I can go bigger I will. It's also a different style end link mount and I think the ears of the bar are facing the other direction (towards the rear). I don't know if that matters or not... I did let them know that if they wanted to come up with another idea for the end link then by all means, as long as it bolts into the factory locations.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mentality, the fact of the bar bending one way or the other doesn't matter as the bar will flex that way when you turn the car the other way. The sway bar simply tries to keep both tires at the same height and when one wheel is getting compressed (say in a high speed turn), it is going to attempt to lift the opposite side wheel to cause the body to "fall" down on the inside turn tires. By going with a larger diameter (aka, stiffer) sway bar, you are simply applying more force to keep the tires closer to each other when one is getting compressed.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
I'm wondering how many people would be interested in some thicker replacement anti roll bars for their X? There hasn't been any talk of pricing yet, just me saying that I could probably get a few buyers if they weren't astronomically priced.
Mentality, I just found your post and if you're still working on this would be interested in getting a larger, drop-in rear anti-sway. Did you ever get a price and was it contingent on a minimum order?

I'm about to check for Justink's mazda front, but do you know if it went in without any trouble?