X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theorical RWD mod

Old 02-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Theorical RWD mod

Hello guys, a though came though my mind... doing a RWD mod on the x-type!

So first of all, from what i've read, the newer transfer case is a simple open differential. lets say we take this, and weld it, and not attach front axles... it should work... right? am i missing anything? i'll soon check indeepth the exploded views of the TC and try to figure out how right or wrong i am... but by the mean time i'd love to hear others opinion about this.

I probably miss something though, because if the newer model is still 60% rear, i'm not sure how a regular differential could handle to do this. and yet, all the info i got indicate that, its a simple differential, and that its 60%...

Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Welding will work, just need to weld it really good so it wouldn't break loose. I guess rear diff would be able to take that power but not 100% sure.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Pierrick, you are correct in that by welding a specific point in the transfer case that you can make it a RWD only vehicle. The transfer case splits the power through the gearing in the transfer case. But, by welding things so there cannot be any slippage between the front and rear, this will force whatever wheel that is moving the fastest to take all the power. Since the "front wheels" will be moving at the same speed as the slowest rear wheel, all the power will go to the rear.

Here is the problem though as I see it. The bearings in the transfer case have enough problem handling 60% of the power going through the case. Now you are going to load them to 100% of the possible torque (or to 160% of what they would normally see). I can see the transfer case potentially having a short life.

The other thing that you will need to keep in mind is that you cannot simply just remove the front half shafts and be good. The front wheel bearings need the half shaft in the middle to give them additional support. So, what you will end up doing at a minimum is taking apart the CV joint and leaving the outer portion of the shaft in the wheel bearing and removing the shaft part of the half shaft. Otherwise, you will need to obtain a set of front spindles for a RWD car that will work on the X-Type.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad to see its not as crazy as it sound.

Thermo, since you've been folowing my other post too, i might add that it was mostly a though, MAYBE... considering a summer t-case, haha.

Just removing axles was definitely not a very polished idea, oil would split out anyway, even if it would work. plugging them is definitely a good option, best of it is, i arleady have a broken CV joint that i could make one of my two plugs with!! yayy.

I also though about the T-case issue of too much power.. but i guess it will be hard to be avoided, at worse it will be fun while it last. haha. i'm definitely interested into trying it out, if the budjet allow me to. since i'd need to buy another transfer case, since i will end up with two VC tcase, gotta get a third that is not VC for that. I'll keep you guys updated on my extended research about it and if it end up beign done.

Oh and, i also though about that crazy idea of modding the tcase so i could just block a gear somewhere, or whatever, so i dont need to swap. but not only it might be very difficult, it would most likely burn the tcase QUICK. also makes a power loss of 50% (since it would make one side go twice as quick..) AND.... still cant figure out how i would disengage the axles... unless i try to mod some trucks electric axles lock.... overall thats a pretty stupid idea, but figured it might make someone laugh, hehe

Old 02-16-2015, 02:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Pierrick, there is never a stupid idea as long as you talk it out and figure out if it is realistic or not. It is whether you actually act on it or not. I have pondered installing 44's on my Expedition with only a 4" lift. It is possible, but it would also take more body modification than I care to admit to. Hence why I haven't done it. So, keep the dreams coming and we can talk it all out and see if you might not hit on something that would be very interesting to do.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 AM

Transfer case takes 100% power from the gearbox, then splits it 40/60, sends 40 back to diff that's inside the gearbox and 60 to the rear so only rear output bearing would need to handle more power.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I have to be the one to ask, why? It seems pointless to me, you wouldn't really gain anything from this, and there would be a lot of unknowns and problems for very little, if any, gains. You wouldn't really be losing any weight, the car isn't going to handle better, and other than being able to do a burn out, I don't see why. Now if you were going to take the engine and trans out and put something like, an xjr engine and trans in it and make it rwd I could see that being a good reason to go rwd haha. That would take a lot of money and work though.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Justink201
... and other than being able to do a burn out, I don't see why.

What? That's not reason enough in and of itself?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is something that has wondered through my mind a few times just out of curiosity. I'll defiantly be keeping an eye on this thread.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 AM

There is no good reason to weld the TC on X-Type, you don't have any extra room under the hood and would only lose grip as the rear diff is open.

But I have welded 1 X-Type transfer case with viscous coupling when I was building a RWD Mondeo with 3.0 V6 from X-Type. Can't tell if welds hold or not as I have not found time to finish the project. Mostly done, engine installed and everything so if I finish it someday I will tell you guys if it holds together or not.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Fwd

Why not just remove the rear driveshaft now you have a FWD car

a little less fun in the snow but now you have eliminated any stress in the TC.

just throwing it out there

Last edited by Paulc732; 02-19-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Looking at the trans model on All data. If you remove the drive shafts up front, the CV joint mounts would just spin, and if you took the CV mounts out the ring gear, it would fall because they hold it up. You would need to keep the outer CV joints attached, because they hold the front bearings together. In the end you will have a car that has lost the weight of the front driveshafts, with 2 CV joints still on the car, and a good possibility that nothing would move, because the front diff would just be spinning. That is why if you break a front joint, the car is disabled. In the end, you would need to weld the front diff solid, so you could get power to the transfer case.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:45 AM

Mr plow. That's why I talked about welding it. If you dont weld of course just the front would uselessly spin. But if it's welded. It's like a locked differential. It will be forced to move both side at same time

And about that fwd "idea".... well. If that car would be a fwd. I wouldn't drive it. I hate those cars realy bad. I'd rather burn it than drive FWD. But I guess it was a joke anyway