X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this timing chain removal / replace tech sheet correct?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this timing chain removal / replace tech sheet correct?

How to Replace timing chain on Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD 2001-2009

It looks good from what I have been able to learn, but I am not schooled enough to really say. I guess I am pulling out my engine to do it which sucks. Head gaskets were done recently and apparently timing isnt right. car turns over but wont start. has fuel pressure and low compression.

please look at link and let me know.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I can't say, hopefully someone will help, however there is a lot of timing information in this thread. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...all-faq-11448/

Old 09-24-2016, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks. my motor is a 2.5 not sure if the same exactly.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Galinho, you should not need to replace the timing chain on the car unless something happened to the engine where it made a sudden stop (ie, bottom kept turning while the top end did not). It is possible that the timing chain skipped a tooth, but this would be due to bad tensioners (part 4) or bad slides (the pieces that the chain rides on), not a bad chain. But, this is normally associated with a rough idle and lots of noise from the front of the engine due to the chain slapping around.

Low compression can be caused by a lot of different things. This is where I recommend a cylinder pressure test. What you essentially do is get a cylinder at top dead center (TDC) with both valves closed. You then remove the spark plug and slide a modified spark plug into the hole that allows you to pressurize the cylinder to about 90 psi using an air source. You then can listen to the oil fill cap opening, the exhaust, and an opening in the intake and if you hear air, then you know where the air is going and where the problem is. If you happen to see air bubbles in the coolant bottle, then you know that you have a bad head gasket.

Looking at the procedure, things seem to be correct based on my experience with newer Ford based engines. The big thing is to pay attention to which chain goes on which side of the engine as there are slight differences between the left and right chains. You should be able to look at the dark links (they may even be a very bright silver, but will definitely be a different color than the rest of the chain) and make sure that they line up with the marks on the gears. I guess it could be possible that the marks got off on the lower end if you recently replaced the head gaskets. But, if you kept tension on the chains, this should not have been an issue.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I uploaded my student guide from Engine Course 168 which will have the V6 info.
It is available on this forum and from Gus at Jag repair dot com.

bob