X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire debate

Hello all, hope to not start a debate or go over old ground but. Tire suggestions anyone? I have the factory 17's on my sport and not to impressed with current tires. will need some by x-mas. At least that's what I'm telling the wife! Any input is appreciated, Thanks. Bill

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: tire debate

I assume you have Pirellis on your car . I would recommend you Michelin or Toyo Proxes .

Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

My brother got the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on his A4, he swears by them in terms of performance and low noise level.

I'm waiting for another 10K and replacing the POS Conti that came with the car regardless if they're worn out by then or not.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait cadi he probably has the stock continentals...nobody I've heard from likes those...me personally I've had toyo proxes 4's and right now I have 225 45 zr17's on my car right now that are toyo proxes fz4 and they are alright. I assume ohio meaning you live in ohio and I live in michigan....so your weather is the same as ours I'm sure...me personally I like bfgoodrich tires...the wear the look and the sounds I've always been happy with....if you are looking for some good all weather tires I've heard of a few that are good but I'll have to look them up again the name escapes me...
I was looking at these but more than likely I'll be getting a rim/tire package here in a second so new tires wont be needed...otherwise the price is great they look great and the snow driving from what I found from the reviews people put were better than the n/a that tirerack puts on their review...
Link
I'll have to look up some more...

Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Aquill, how are those FZ4's in snow? I have the regularProxes4 (225/40r18), and they're great in dry or rain, but in snow they absolutely SUCK!. I have some no-name all season tires on my stock 16" rims that I use in winter.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

I had the proxes 4's on my 97 front wheel drive monte carlo and they were dismal as well! The proxes fz4 aren't too bad but that is because the car is awd....thus I really don't think that either are good in the winter...I was looking at a set of dunlop winter tires last spring and man did I want a pair! I could only imagine how much better the car would drive with those on! I also had a pair of hankook ventus tires on my 18's for my monte carlo and those were horrible too as the tread only lasted a summer front and rear so it wasn't like I was abusing them they were just poor tires. Personally the best tires I've ever had are bfgoodrich I had on my f150 one of many different kinds I had on it and than the toyo open country tires I have on my escape right now are AWESOME! I'd recommend either of those tires in a heartbeat and I got a good deal on those...

For the jag I'd just buy whatever was the best deal as the awd is so awesome there is almost no reason imho to get sweet tires unless you have the extra money to spend.

Hey Bill I will talk to my wife's uncle that gets deals on tires and see what he can do...the shop he called for me told me 430 for some bridgestone's installed but that was a family connection kind of thing but I could see if he'd help you out?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 PM

yes i do have the contis and are junk. dont like the road noise and the grip in rain was crap. I wasn't sure if , as Aquill put it, with similar weather, and the like what would be good. had a new mustang a few years back and just loved the bf goodrichs I had on there, the factory "performance rated" goodyears were just junk. thanks for all the replies. happy motoring .Bill

Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  7.4 KB

Hi Bill............this issue is all down to personal preference like many things.
I am a great fan of the Pirelli P Zeros and have run Pirellis in the form of P7's and P6000's prior to that for many many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. I used to travel around 50k miles a year and found that noise levels were good, tyre wear rate excellent and they grip like nuthin else.
In out wet, icy snowy roads they are a fantastic performer as an all rounder as they are also good in the dry. I'm currewntly running them on the X
I have Conti Sport contact 2's on the A6 as thats what came from new and have just replaced like for like with 2 new on the front. Also seem like a good tyre with decent wear rate and good grip.
I had a really bad experience a few years ago with Dunlop and wouldnt put them back on my car if you gave me a set fro free!
Others recommend Falkens, or maybe Michelin Pilot Sports.

Let us know what you decide to go with !!

Jim

Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 PM

thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to check on prices in the next day or so. had pirellis on an audi I had years ago and they handled great. just not sure with the price to performanve, but this was close to 22 years ago, so maybe the cost isn't as great as my then teenage pocket book could afford

Old 10-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  7.4 KB

A lot of members on here swear by Tirerack...check it out?
Personally checking various tyre dealers online that come and fit them at your choice of location etc etc...........These guys are falling over themselves for work. Check out a few and I'm sure you'll get a great deal.
Keep us up tp speed with what you decide to go with, how much you pay etc Bill

Jim

Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hey bill what do you have for stores in ohio? Depending on how much you want to spend per tire changes what you will get. I went to sams club and they had a set of I think they were michelin pilot sports as Jim stated that are supposedly have carbon fiber on the sidewall or something and they were like 220 a tire but man did they look like an awesome awesome tire. Like I said it depends on what you want to spend...if you are wanting to spend a little moolah and get something exactly what you want or spend half that and get a decent tire to replace the contis....me personally I just want to replace the crappy tires I have with some new ones..it just so happens that the rims I'm trying to get have toyo proxes fz4's on them[:@][:@][:@]

Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 PM

aquill, is there a special or cerain rim you have to use? I'm normally not a big fan of aftermarket rims, but would really need to refurb my rims and would rather spend money than time at a friends garage doing the repaint etc. thanks again for getting back with me. Bill

Old 10-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on what kind of money you want to spend...I can't remember whether you have the sport or not but your choice of rims from tirerack are less if you have a sport model as I assume they don't show any that wont fit with the sport suspension...but I really don't know other than suspension set up being the reason they limit the number of rims they have you choose from...anyways if the link doesn't work just select your year and model of jag and than click on wheels and find one you like...click on the size of rim you'd want and than click on VIEW ON VEHICLE and it will show you your car with the rims and you can even change the color of the car as well. Keep in mind though the rims will look better on your car because the program they use isn't dead on for wheel gap and what not.

Rims I like that are similar to the stock rims:

Rial como
They cost about 139 for each 17" rim...556 for 4 rims before tax and shipping

Rial Porto
I could see these on a jag perhaps even stock they are 169 per rim for 18's and 676 for all four

ASA JH9
I love these rims and would more than likely buy these if I had the money...I'd get them in 19's but the cost of the 18's is 159/636 for 4 rims...

Tires

LINK

Tires you could use range...since you live in ohio I'd get a high performance all season tire. From what I collected on the all season tires the best ones were the bridgestone and michelin pilot sports.
I checked the pilot sport out and they are extremely nice tires. I'd buy those as they are very nice but they are high priced. Either bridgestones can be had for less than the michelin pilot sports...the prices are 134 for the pole position and 142 for the g 009. The michelin is 181. The pole position ranks 1st in its category and the g009 is second while the pilot sport comes in 3rd. The reviews on the tires show how many miles the people that have driven with the tires are rating them. Basically each tire has been rated and the people let the site know how many miles they have had on them and their experiences with each tire. The pilot sport has had the most mileage at 18.2 million miles. All of the said tires though have all been driven over 1million miles. For the money I'd go with either bridgestones and probably lean towards the g 009.
Keep in mind the prices I gave are for 225 45 17.
If you go up into the 18's the tire size needed is 225 40 18.
The g 009 does not come in size 18 so the only choices of the best 2 tires are the pole position for 151 or the pilot sport for 212.

In the end I'd go with the 009 if you go 17's or the pole position if 18's.

This is my opinion though...

Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I get my tyres for around £10 each (from the Kwik Fit fitter who comes into our bodyshop quite a bit in return for allowing him to take away knackered alloys which he gets around £5 each I think).I have a couple of spares in my garage for when my current tyres get low.I like the Pirellis and the guy from Kwik Fit reckons the Contis can crack slightly inside the tread which I checked on my dads Vauxhall Zafira which has them and his have this crazing.I used to use Falkens on my MR2 MODDED Turbofor track days...would start off with 8mm tread and by the end of the sessions there wasnt much left but thats the price you pay for grip.
A panel beater at our place got some Kumho's on his Seat Turbo and he is very very impressed and they were a steal compared to Contis and Pirellis.
To save a few dollars more (wasnt that a Clint Eastwood film) cant you guys in the US get tyres from a local tyre distibutor which suppliesthe tyre retailers in your area with their tyres so cutting the retailersout and buying direct to save a little bit perhaps?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't tried that before but I doubt it...Any update bill?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found this thread. I'll be looking for new tires soon because yesterday I had my second blowout on these crappy Conti's. Potholes shouldnt kill my tires so easily. Its not as if they are low profiles or something.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the POS Continentals..worse tire in the world IMO...lasted 24,000 miles..replaced them with Kohmo ACSTA-ASX...by far for the money, the best tire I have ever had..Quiet, handling, wear rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+ASX

Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Shame on Contis [&:]lol .Even Kumho can outperform it then lol .

Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all, hope to not start a debate or go over old ground but. Tire suggestions anyone? I have the factory 17's on my sport and not to impressed with current tires. will need some by x-mas. At least that's what I'm telling the wife! Any input is appreciated, Thanks. Bill
i love how the title of this thread is "tire debate" and the i read bill's first sentance. LOL

Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM

I bought 4 tires from the tirerack and I've been very happy with them. I bought Fuzion HRi for $68 dollars each since they were highly rated and I am happy with them. Good traction and they are quiet. much better than the Conti's! Now these tires are going for about $80 now.

Quick Reply: tire debate