X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon

Hi everybody, I'm trying to find out the total number of X types produced over the production run from start to finish, particularly the production numbers for the sports wagon, and North American sports wagon in detail. I own a 2004 Sportswagon, (Canadian spec.) and am curious to know how many of these made it to North American markets. I am aware that the wagon was not introduced to the US market until 2005. I have tried google, and wikipedia, but other than a vague 350,000 total production, there is no defining the wagon production totals at all. Someone told me there were upward of 25 sedans for every wagon(?), I'd really like to know how rare these wagons are, as other than my own, I only know of 3 others in Ontario! I know there must be more. Looking forward to the membership to answer this question!
Thanks in advance guys.
Cheers!

Last edited by GGG; 02-26-2016 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Reduce font size
Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

According to Nigel Thorley's 'Jaguar - All the Cars', total production of the X-Type was 355,227. He gets his figures from Jaguar so they are reliable.

He doesn't give individual years production or market for the X-Type but does break this total down by model. The figures below are for 'all markets'.

I assume what is marketed in Canada and US as 'Sportswagon' is what we in the UK call an 'Estate'.

2.0 litre Estate (2004 - 2005) = 1,587
2.0 litre diesel Estate (2003 - 2007) = 16,747
2.5 litre Estate (2004) = 4,306
3.0 litre Sport Estate (2004) = 4,382

The petrol ones at 10,275 are a very small proportion of the overall total produced and the diesel version is likely to be found only in Europe.

Graham

Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beat me to it! Is that a great book or what?

Old 02-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The Sportwagon was so-called on introduction to Canada for the 2004 model year because it had the Sport suspension, interior, and exterior trim (or rather, the lack of exterior trim) as well as the larger wheels; I think it quickly became apparent that this hard-riding beast was not going to be as successful as Jaguar hoped. So for the 2005 model year, while the "Sportwagon" name was retained, the car was outfitted (again with reference to the Canadian market) exactly as the saloon was, that is with the "comfort" suspension and the normal leather and wood-trimmed interior and all the Canadian cold weather equipment. A similar model went to the U.S. for the 2005 model year, the first year the Sportwagon was sold there.
Thorley's
books are excellent, but a caveat: he is completely unaware (apparently) of the Canadian market cars (and I mean of any model Jaguar sold in Canada - he has no reference whatever, for example, to the Series III XJ V12 Vanden Plas (1982-1992) which Jaguar made for Canada only, and that is because Jaguar itself kept no record of these cars (they were taken from the Daimler Double Six OR the V12 Sovereign lines, depending upon the year) so while Thorley is a wonderful resource, his books do have (almost inevitable) errors.
The total production of the X-Type may be as he says or it may be higher. In any case, this model which automotive journalists love to call a "failure" is to date the largest-selling Jaguar model ever produced. And generally speaking, those who have them, love them.
And the Sportwagon/Estate is the best-looking of all the X-Types! With regard to the rarity of this model, here in Victoria (a city of about 350,000) there are about a dozen at most, and there are a lot of Jaguars here - close to 200 in the Jaguar club alone.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 PM

Thanks to Graham and Gregory for such informative answers! I remember reading somewhere, that there were fewer than 2000 wagons sent to North America for the whole production run, and that they were all 3.0 gas powered cars, if that's so, it would appear that the N.American spec. wagons were the rarest of all, and without knowing the Canadian numbers for 2004 of the sport wagon, it would seem likely that these were the rarest of the rare! Certainly I feel the car I have to be sportier in feel than sedans that I've driven, which would make sense if they had the sports package suspension etcetera.
Thanks very much to everyone that has answered my enquiry, I'm really psyched!
Cheers!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, every Sportwagon for Canada and the US was a 3.0 litre automatic, and yes, they are rare. To me, among the very positive qualities of the wagon is the fact that the interior is trimmed to the same high standard and specification as the sedan (for UK readers: the highest specification: Jaguars for North America are always trimmed and optioned to the highest specification), and further that it drives, feels, and sounds exactly like the sedan inside and out - and that is something you can rarely say about a wagon - there is no cavernous feel to it (I can make this comparison because we also have a similar X-Type sedan). The Sportwagon is a beautiful car.

Attached Thumbnails Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-x-types-001-small-.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-x-types-003-small-.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-x-type-sportwagon-005-small-.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-x-type-sportwagon-004-small-.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-x-type-sportwagon-011-small-.jpg  

Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-x-type-sportwagon-006-small-.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:00 PM

Hopefully this works, here are some pictures of my sportwagon, it has 173xxx kms from new, I've just had all the fluids renewed, new battery,(inconsistent voltage was throwing up all sorts of codes!), new vacuum hoses, brakes and tires. The car runs like a top and I'm very pleased with it. No rust, other than those finishers at the base of the windows, which I've ordered, 4 out of the 6 needed.

Attached Thumbnails Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0066_1024.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0073_1024.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0070_1024.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0069_1024.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0065_1024.jpg  

Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0062_1024.jpg   Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon-thumb_img_0059_1024.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Nice - you can see the difference in trim, inside and out, with my 2005 Sportwagon (which has just 58,000 kms on it).
But... uh.., hmmmm.....what is that white stuff in your photos?
One reason that cars last so long in Victoria is that we get no snow. No snow=no salt. No salt=no rust.
At this moment I am looking at the daffodils and camellias in my garden (really). On the other hand, this is an active earthquake zone, so nothing is free (for non-Canadians: the comment above is an example of why other Canadians dislike the attitude of people in Victoria and Vancouver).

Old 02-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

When the X-Type Sportwagon was announced for North America in late 2004, they said they expected to sell "2000 units" per year between the US and Canada.

That's what they planned, in reality it was much much less than that. I do recall a number mentioned of "about 500 cars" for 2005-2007 being sold in North America.

I remember reading an article on the XF Sportbrake, which referenced back to the X-Type Sportwagon as only selling three units (yes, 3 cars) in 2007. Pity I can't find the article now...

Not many sold in North America at all. They were never sold in Australia, although at least two have slipped in as Personal Imports, that i've seen anyhow...

Old 02-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Gregory, We've been very lucky in Toronto this winter, not to have too much of the white stuff,(thanks el nino!), in fact on the 3 or 4 occasions we have had a snowfall, it hasn't lasted more than a day or so before it's all melted. I believe my car wasn't used in the winter months evidenced by the lack of rust anywhere on the body or undercarriage. The pictures I posted were from the day I had the car cleaned and the roads were clear, so it went straight back into the garage once home.

Great bit of info Cambo, sorry that Oz never got these cars back in the day, I'm sure they would've proved popular over there, might've boosted Jaguar's sales figures by their having been available.

Thanks again to all who have responded to this post, I'm learning more with each reply!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok so the next question. How many are still on the road? Where are the most still running?

Old 02-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

They were very popular in the UK, especially in diesel form...I cannot believe that only 3 were sold in 2007. And apart from accident write-offs they are probably all still on the road. Great cars.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:55 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

That was the number in North America, they still sold many thousands in the UK and in Europe.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been looking for the same info as Etobicoke...the production run of the x-type Estate in U.S.A./Canada. If Cambo is correct that only three were sold in the U.S. in 2007, then I would be one of those three, and most likely the last one that came into the U.S. I special ordered my Estate (you won't catch me calling it a sportwagon) when I heard the X-type production was to stop. Perhaps the reason for only three shipped to the U.S. in 2007 is due to all X-types imports to the U.S halted in May of that year. My dealer had to work hard to get the special order Estate, as I believe they had to pull it from the European production line and the dealer had to trade vehicle allocations. I'll have to try to find the article Cambo refers to. I just passed the 62,000 miles/100 km mark. It's going strong and I'm proud to be an Estate owner.
Squito

Old 06-26-2016, 07:41 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

US Car and Driver magazine did an article on rare cars a few years ago. It said Jaguar N.America sold 1,602 X-Type Sportwagons in 5-years. Don't know if that included Canada. More rare than a Bently or most Ferraris.
I asked my dealer if he would custom order me a XF-Sportbrake in N.America spec from Jaguar SVO. He said "sure - if you have unlimited budget." Rear lights would likely have to be custom made. That would be rare! Better to save the $ to keep my X-Type on the road.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I recall reading a long time ago that in the North American market (US/Canada) only approximately 1600 were imported (or, 400 per model year 2005-2008). Also, C&D magazine (maybe R&T?) noted the Estate/Sportwagon was more rigid than the saloon and the frame was slightly longer as well. Mine is about to go on the market - AutoTrader dot com does not show any of these for sale 2007-2008 model years but I doubt I will command a premium, but i still get curious onlookers everywhere I go ("I've never seen a Jaguar wagon") even after almost 10 years of driving this.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of curiosity, I just checked on Autotrader. It shows 14 listed for sale in US today.
It seems they are all 3.0's. Prices from $3900.00 to $11,400.00 -depending mostly on mileage.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks!

I probably put in wrong filters - I will look again when I list mine.
Originally Posted by foxbottom
Out of curiosity, I just checked on Autotrader. It shows 14 listed for sale in US today.
It seems they are all 3.0's. Prices from $3900.00 to $11,400.00 -depending mostly on mileage.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that was for all model years though...

Old 07-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

So glad to have found this thread. I am also an owner of a 2006 Jaguar X-Type Sportswagon. Not a lot of information can be found on these great cars. I spoke with Jaguar and at one time they told me only 1602 were sold in the US during a 3 year period. I was trying to find out more info as to how many of those models have DSC (dynamic stability control) as I don't believe many did. From what I see of the ones for sale online most have a coin slot where the DSC button is on mine. What about yours? Do you have DSC?

Quick Reply: Total Production numbers for X type and Sportswagon