X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tp sensor help!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tp sensor help!!! Please

HI EVERYONE, i just performed a tune up on my xtype and after starting it up the powertrain light came on. car was ideling super high and when i put it in gear the gas pedel really wasnt working, im pretty sure this is a throttle bady sensor after the research online here. could this be?? could it be dirty sensors else where or any other issues im not thinking of?? any help would be a great help

Old 12-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

robiwhan, get yourself a can of throttle body cleaner and spray the inside of the throttle body really good. If you see brown, wash it away. This will probably flood the car, so, when you go to start the car, place your foot flat on the floor with the gas pedal under your foot. This will clear the flooded engine condition and allow the car to start. Then lets see what you have at that point.

It may be possible that you simply have a bunch of gunk inside the throttle body and it is causing the butterfly valve to stick partially open, resulting in the high RPM and when you step on the gas pedal, nothing else to happen.

Oh yeah, make sure to spray the side of the butterfly valve (the thin edge). If any part of the throttle is going to stick, it will be that small area. Do not forget to spray where that edge will touch the throttle body. In short, if you can see brown, wash it away.

The following users liked this post:
robiwhan (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 PM

thanks thats what ill do tomorrow. i can see that the butterfly is dirty and the walls of the throttle body. ive found a used one online fairly cheap, should i take the chance to buy it?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

seems odd that all of a sudden you have an issue like that after just having worked on the car. You might want to check that you haven't disturbed some wiring or loosened a connector when you were under the hood, especially if you didn't have the problem before. Just seems like too much of a coincidence. It is a good idea to clean the throttle body though. Hope you get it sorted quickly!

The following users liked this post:
robiwhan (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Default throttle sensor

thanks for the info if anyone has any other ideas.

symptons: idles really high, when in gear it moves but gas pedel doesnt work, power train warning light came on.

only work i performed was new spark plugs, ignition coils and accessory belt tensioner replacement.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:01 AM

and new o rings for the intake too.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Default Throttle position sensor

just writing this in hopes it may help someone else. cleaned throttle body really well and it seems to be running fine. ive ordered a used one for $100 and will hold it just incase. if all turns out well ill be happy to pass it on at cost. if anyone has any questions on the work I performed or troubleshooting to solve please ask and ill provide details.

spark plugs, coil packs, O-rings, belt tensioner, new headlight, throttle body cleaning..

Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Robiwhan, not to ask the silly question, but did you plug in both plugs for the throttle body? There is one for the TPS sensor and one for the throttle motor. The one for the TPS sensor is going to be the harder one to verify that it is made up.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 PM

yes I have. both are in good shape and clean and were connected up correctly when the problem started. the removal and cleaning of the throttle body was the easiest part of the day and your advice worked great. car is up and running well. as you already see ive a second throttle body and sensor on the way so if you come across anyone needing one cheap let me know.