X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?

Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?

Yes my dad is willing to give me his Jaguar for nothing but I have to give my corolla to my cousin. Both cars are around 90K.

Is this crazy? or stupid? or too good to be true?

I know Jag is all wheel drive, but not as good on fuel, insurance may be more $ and repairs are more money.

The good thing this is going to be the family car,

Thank you

D.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

go for it! here is the thing, the jaguar is probably going to require more maintenance then the corolla especially with 90k miles. With that said parts for a jaguar are alot harder to come by and they are more expensive than a toyota part. Insurance will also be more, but its the price you pay for owning an x type. after all, it is a jag

Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks Jaggyx,

sounds good to me. How difficult is DIY maintenance for this car?

Derick.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

well depends on what you are doing.

oil change- simple enough
changing the wipers- piece of cake
transfer case oil change- somewhat tough
changing a bulb- easy
switching out a broken starter motor- tough

so it all depends what you are trying to do with your car. like you said it would be a family car so im assuming your not in for mods such as exhaust and suspension?

if so then the jag should be simple to maintain. routine oil changes. 90k miles service etc

Old 02-18-2010, 04:38 PM

We have had our X-Type since new and now have 72K trouble free miles on the car. I assume since you are getting the X-Type from your Dad then you know the maintenance history. If the car has had regular service it should be good to go. I believe the X-Type shares a lot of parts with the Ford Mondeo, which has been around for a while.
We change the oil every 3K miles and average DIY stuff is not a problem. I have a separate set of wheels with snow tires for the winter. The car goes great in the snow and we have had zero issues with the transmission. I don’t like the driver’s seat it doesn’t fit my 6’1” frame. We get about 23 – 24 miles per gallon about the same as our XK8 & Super V8, must be the AWD drive train. If you go for the trade ENJOY!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  19.3 KB

05 X type? I'd say go for it....all the bugs were pretty much worked out by the time the 05's came out.
Give here what she needs when she needs it and do the simple oil changes etc regularly and you should be good to go. Obviously you have the advantage of knowing the cars history prior to a purchase / swap and then there's the wealth of info available here to help too.
Check out the insurance differential / work out the mpg on worst case scenario and build in sumthin each month for a nest egg fund for any repairs.....add it up and if you can afford that figure every month....DO IT
Just be aware that you might get some strange looks from friends / work mates etc wondering how you can afford to drive a Jaaaag?

Good luck

Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corolla... Jaguar... Corolla... Jaguar...

No brainer in my book, go with the Jaguar.. Much nicer car then your run of the mill generic rice burner.

Take care of the Jaguar and it will take care of you. I love my X and would only get rid of it to upgrade to an XJ or XF. I am sold on Jaguars.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Thank you every body, I think the risk is worth the drive, my wife is exited but a little concern, she loves the Corolla, and yes I know the history of this car, my dad takes good care of his cars, I went for a ride the other day and feels very good solid and strong, If I was going to buy it, after the test drive I could say that I really like it!

This forum looks very friendly and helpful. I'm not very handy with tools but I do change the oil to my cars and with your some help I think I can handle this beautiful car.

I appreciate you comments keep them coming!

I need my wife to go for a test drive, I'm sure she is going to love it!

Thank you,
Derick

Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

welcome to the jaguar forums, by the way! any other questions just fire away

Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

They are two different animals to some degree. You can be more mindless with the Corolla, just drive it and it will probably be just fine. The Jag will require more attention to your maintenance schedule, but not anything too severe. Parts are more expensive but general maintenance items are really not that bad (brakes, filters, etc) and easy to do. This forum is great for support.

So, yeah, um, what are you waiting for?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Jaguar is like an experience that is no like other
Go for the Jaguar

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Derick, just the fact you posted here (a Jaguar ENTHUSIAST forum) seems like you have kind of already made your decision and just need that extra push. Here is one more push....go for it and post the pictures of it when you pick it up. If your wife loves the Corolla I would find it hard to believe she wouldn't love the Jag even more. A 2005 with a known history for a 2004 Corolla????? Unless there is some piece of this equation we don't know this seems like an easy decision.

Just curious, if your dad is giving you his car and you give your cousin his car, what will he be left with?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ex had an 03 Corolla, I hated that car so much. The electrical system was so buggy, and the car was ugly and cramped inside. It cost too damn much too. But, it is cheaper to maintain than a Jag is. Not because its built better, (the recent recalls should hopefully be waking people up to that fact,) but because the cost of parts and hourly rate for repairs is cheaper.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM

BOLD are mine...

derick, just the fact you posted here (a jaguar enthusiast forum) seems like you have kind of already made your decision and just need that extra push yes!!! I'm 99.9% interested in this swap, I want it. It's a matter of time (couple of weeks)

. Here is one more push....go for it and post the pictures of it when you pick it up I will take many pictures!!! (i hope so)

. If your wife loves the corolla i would find it hard to believe she wouldn't love the jag even more I'm sure she will love it. Specially the heated seats!

. A 2005 with a known history for a 2004 corolla????? Unless there is some piece of this equation we don't know this seems like an easy decision. besides the fuel economy and insurance I feel comfortable with my decision..... But there was a little noise under the car, I went for a ride and didn't hear anything and a bad wheel creating a tiny vibration at highway speed, my dad offered to buy a new one. Right now it's sitting in the garage of my fathers friend a very good and trusted mechanic, my dad want's him to check everything before letting the car go.

just curious, if your dad is giving you his car and you give your cousin his car, what will he be left with? the jag is the car that my step mother has been driving and she's getting some thing else, my cousin keeps the corolla

Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Nah, I wouldn't do it. Other than my Jag ate a trans in 60K miles it has been relatively trouble free. Sure I do all the services...etc. I worked in the car industry for Chrysler and Ford years ago... The latest wonder was when Jag told me the AT is not recommended for service...ever...never...in it's lifetime...is that why I ate one in 60K miles???

Bottom line...look at the resale market...that will be the ultimate test of "worth" for your car. Jag is near the "worst" resale...right after Yugo.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Resale value rarely is relevant when buying a used car. You don't get a used car figuring the factors of getting rid of it. Maybe a new car, but not used. So this isn't a question of which is worth more.
There are only 2 possible negatives to the swap.
1. Check the price of insurance for you on the Jag. Particularly if your driving record is less than pristine.
2. The maintenance will be higher - meaning repairs cost more and may come with a bit more frequency.
If you're "into cars" get the Jag. If a car is just a utility to you, keep the Toyo.

One other factor is the "ding" factor. Do you park where you car will likely get dinged up? A ding on a Jaguar eats on you. Not on a Toyo. The same would apply whether you are a neat or messy person? If you are a slob, keep the Toyo. A Jag with an interior full of trash looks like hell.

Last edited by dfwx; 02-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm really into C A R S, I love cars, I'm not a mechanic but I enjoy working with my cars. This car is kind of a special gift from my dad to my wife, son and baby (daughter due in July)

I took this photo last year.

Ins. goes $20 more per month than the corolla ($724/year)

My dad is out the country right now so we'll wait until he comes back and see if we get to keep the Jag!

Thank you for all your comments. keep them coming

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 AM

doyou compare these 2?
i think it is a nobrainer

Attached Thumbnails Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?-2004-jaguar-x-type.jpg   Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?-2005_toyota_corolla_se_01.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

nobrainer to me!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Unhappy

So we traded cars over the weekend and after driving for about 250 miles going here and there, we came out with a conclusion...

We are not going to swap!!! turn out that ours is in much better shape than the Jag.

No offense to Jaguar owners, I wanted this car so BAD , but we are very sad to see how badly this awesome car has been treated (my step mother has been driving this car since new)

I figure out that the Jag. was going to be trouble sooner or later, suspension, wheels, tires, alignment issues, overall it wasn't as good as the Toyota.

We really like the quality and finish of the Jag, but my wife was concerned about a few strange noises and that took all the interest in the Jag. from her.

Thank you everybody...

I hate to see this opportunity drive away like this.

Attached Thumbnails Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?-dsc_1769.jpg   Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?-dsc_8760.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trade in my 04 corolla for a 05 Jaguar Type X what do you think?