Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trading up???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default trading up???

Found a nice 2004 4.2l stype with 130000km, witht he bumpers that i like and is a sport model. I got a 2.5l 2002x type with 85000km, should i trade up, and the cost is farly the same as what i payed for my car.

heres the link
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_C...ributes=photos,,

heres another one
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_C...ributes=photos,,

Last edited by Disco stu55; 02-04-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an XJR as well as my Xtype I prefer the Xtype in the winter. I am unsure how great the S would be in the snow..

Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the S-Type. I think the X is much more beautiful and with the right wheels and exhaust a right hoot! Is fuel economy or performance more important to you?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disco, you DO realize it's rear wheel drive. Even with snow tires it's not going todrive as well in your snow storms. You already slid and hot a curb with an awd car. Is the asking price the same as when you bought your car or is that what it would cost with yours in trade? Plus, the gas mileage will be way lower in the V8, especially in winter. Still think you should wait until you find a nice 3.0 liter Sport, for what it's worth. A V8 S IS really nice though.............

Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

welll, yeah, i thought about the awd last night, i was comng back from skiiing and the car had to climb a hug icy mountiain, didn't slip once, the fuel economy on my car is not the best, but i do realize that its going to be lower on the v8, and that was my other question, in snow, on the stype forum, they say the car is actaully pretty good, so im wondering is this good for a rwd or just overall compared with other cars. Its just that i rather have a bit of a bigger backseat with abit more power, other then that, there no tother reall reason, and i would definitly store it for winer, i don't want to deal with the rust isssue.

Thats what there asking for the car, without a trade in, and its what the owner of my car wanted originally.

Heres my other question, i saw an xf the other day, and started wondering, would you guys prefer a xfr over the str, other then the fact that it has a more power? And why

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

XFR all the way even including XJR .S Type can be more comfortable but X Type is chicer ride .

Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

The S Type is the same as my car in the snow...absolute crap!
RWD in snow is bad, auto and RWD in snow is worse.
Check this out for what to expect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP28pbcz4tM
On the news here a couple of weeks ago there was a bulletin on the weather and guess what car was shown nose end in a barrier...an S Type.
Apparently winter tyres make a big difference but on summer or intermediate tyres you will have trouble.
Mine was parked up over the Xmas and the day I took it out it got stuck sideways across the road after droppng kids off and took 2 of us 20 mins to dig and push it out.Thanks to the man who helped!
I really wished I had my X Type back over the last 6 weeks.

Re the XFR
There is absolutly no comparison
I was lucky enough to drive one the other month
The XFR is quicker (bigger more powerful engine than the S Type R)
I drove it around a preset 10 mile route
On the route I pulled out of a T Junction onto a main road which had a 60mph speed limit.There was a small car a hundered yards infront and a gap in the traffic on the other side of the road coming towards the small car.I put my foot down and got forced back into the seat.In my car I would have timed the gap perfectly to get through the gap.In the XFR I had to brake (and good brakes they are too!!) before I hit the small car as it got to the car way ahead of the gap on the other side.
Remember the XFR is the fastest saloon car in the world and averaged over 225mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNRtuBdHS9o

My mate has just bought an XF diesel and it goes from 0-60 in around 6 seconds and its not even the sport diesel version and gets 44 mpg!
Fantastic cars

Saying that the S type in your link is a nice colour

Old 02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

XFR $80,000.00 USD. 2005 STR $12-14 grand (or less)USD There SHOULD NOT be any comparison to the two cars as people here are doing. 500 HP compared to 390-400 on STR . 2010 technology compared to 5 years ago ???.
Also from reading gas mileage chat on the X and the S forums it looks like the S with the 4.2 gets just about the same as the 3.0 and might be better than the AWD X.
The X lacks the respect that other Jag models get IMHO.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
XFR $80,000.00 USD. 2005 STR $12-14 grand (or less)USD There SHOULD NOT be any comparison to the two cars as people here are doing. 500 HP compared to 390-400 on STR . 2010 technology compared to 5 years ago ???.
We all know there is a huge difference in price
However Disco asked for preferences of the XFR compared to the S Type R and thats what he got.
At no point did he bring into the query any mention of price.
Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
The X lacks the respect that other Jag models get IMHO.
There are those who know how good X Types are and those who are misinformed or have ill conceived preconceptions who dont.
Dont let it worry you.
The X type forum is the most active not only on this .com forum but also the .co.uk forum too

Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Buck
you have your opinion and I hope I can have mine.
Price is usually a factor when I do comparisons on anything.
Thanks.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

well thanks guys, i know tha thte x type in winter is a snow tank, and i mean a snow tank, it will make it through anything, the snow storm that struck a couple months ago crippled all the big trucks ( we got alot of jacked up trucks here and they practically all got stuck) and then there was my car which trudged along, not a problem. I do realize the stype is not going to be good in winter, but i would store it. And now that you say the out date technology i recon ill be dealing with the same issues, just more power to fudge them up.

and respect....pfffft, in our town, as i've noticed, im not sure about mohrd, when you see the jag ornament on another car, you kinda smile at the driver of flash your light. I remeber in the summer pulling out of work and the v12 xjs saw the ornament, and the man gave a nod lol.

But now i think im leaning towards the xfr, and its not the fastest ( i might be wrong here), the cts--V, is hold that record, they put it in a test against the xfr and m5 and a car from mercedes,

the v8 xfr beat the v10 from germany, but not the caddy, heres one video without the m5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59fybrrUGEw

and i aprriciate the price comparison, but there are always factors you gotta count on. thanks for your opinions, i think i am going to get the xfr, in a year or two, instead of trading up now, ill keep the x as a winter car though and the xfr as a summer.

Last edited by Disco stu55; 02-05-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Buck, it sounds like where you are snow is the exception and not the rule. In winter it's all about tires. When it snows if you have any kind of summer tires you are taking life into your own hands, awd or not. You aren't going anywhere. Or maybe I shoould say you aren't going to be stopping very well. I have some good all season tires are they work great on the X, but if you have dedicated snows you would be almost unstoppable. Plus, chnaces are where you live they do not use salt on the roads. Salt sucks in that your car is basically dirty for several months, but when it snows there is nothing better at keeping the pavement from icing up. In that video that was all ice. Even snow tires wouldn't help you there. I know several people that have rear wheel drive cars that use dedicated snows in the winter and they get by fine. Not as good as a front wheel drive car or AWD, but good enough that you don't have to park it when the flakes start flying.

If I didn't have to contend with snow where I live I would definitely get an STR or XJR. They are a lot like the X in the bang for the buck department. Price independent, hard to beat a decked out XF.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Youre right Alfadude
Snow here is not common these days
Last time it was as bad as this must have been over 20 years ago and most winters its just occasional frost or light snow (one of the benefits of the Gulf Stream keeping us relatively mild given our 55* N latitude)
We got hit bad this year, ran out of salt and side roads are rarely gritted even when snow is bad.Cleared up now though, but very foggy
[End of weather report]

Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 AM

x type 3.0 awd all the way, great from winter driving condition....

Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Snow removal in the northern climes here is pretty much down to a science. Bare pavement within 24 hours in the rule on the main streets no matter how much snow. Always brings a smile to us when we see somewhere down south that isn't used to it that gets a a couple of inches of snow and the city is paralyzed for two days. Between that and drinking is about the only fun we have up here in the winter.............

Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
and i aprriciate the price comparison, but there are always factors you gotta count on. thanks for your opinions, i think i am going to get the xfr, in a year or two, instead of trading up now, ill keep the x as a winter car though and the xfr as a summer.
In a year or two, a used XFR is still going to be very expensive. I was under the impression that you got a X-Type because, like a lot of us, your budget is limited. The X-Type and S-Type's resale value is fairly low, but the XJ's resale value is higher and I'm expecing the XF's to be the same in a few years.

Don't think you'll be able to get a XF, much less a XFR, for some 15 grand in a year or two.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

lol, yeah, up north salth is brutal, we studied its use and how it works on the ice, which alot of people are mis informed about. Its actaully teh opposite of what many people think.

Yeai bought the x type, becuase it was fun to drive, looked awesome compared to other cars on the road and was nice on the interior, plus a reward for myself for not spending the money i had saved up ince i was 12 years old and could lie to get a job lol. Yeah, but by the time i looked at an xfr, i would have the cash required to purchase it and maybe then some, and use the x as the snow tank it is. Thats another reason i bought it, awd, you can't go wrong.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

So in that case, would you guys you recommend the jeep srt8, which has a bullet proof transfer case, 4wd and awesome power? over the str

Old 02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Disco, I thought you were going to save your money for a couple years for an XFR. Didn't know you already started using it buying pot. Jeep over an STR??

Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

alright, IN MY HONEST OPINION! i think the two cars have there pros and cons as every car does. Im not going to list them because there are to many, but they are both amazing cars.

S type- i've got class and people can see it cause i drive a jag
XFR- ive got class, and people can see it because they hear me when i put the pedal to the metal

both cars are great guys

Quick Reply: trading up???