X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case seals

02 x type 3.0. I just got a transmission rebuild on this car and noticed some trans fluid on my driveway. I took it back and they said that the transfer case had very little fluid in it and they filled it up... And this is now making fluid come out of a worn out seal. How urgent is getting this repaired... Can it wait a month?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jagm, when they said a little bit of fluid, how little? Do you think that the mechanics realize that the transfer case only gets 600ml of fluid when it is brand new. When you do a fluid change, you only add in 500 ml (or about a pint of fluid). That isn't a whole lot.

Now for the part that will really blow your mind. A lot of us here have gone to change the fluid in our transfer cases and when we pulled the plug, nothing come out. NOTHING!!!!!!! (how long were we driving with no fluid in the transfer case?) I am one of them. While I am not saying that you should run it without fluid, it doesn't seem to hurt it either. If the mechanics put too much fluid in the transfer case (which is commonly done), it will spit fluid out the overflow tube and it will create a spot in the driveway on the passenger side.

As for waiting, I do not see a problem with that. if it truely is a seal (after about a week or so, the "leak" will stop if they over filled the transfer case), then the longer you wait, the more likely you are to create bigger issues. But, with new fluid in the transfer case, you should be good for awhile.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The usual reason for overfilling the transfer box is that when drained using the drain plug, 250 mls of fluid remain in the box so only 300 mls should be added to get to the recommended level of 550 mls. (I have an additional low point drain plug fitted that proves all that) Many mechanics - professional and DIY -add 550mls, so you might not have a leaking seal - it might just be the air vent blowing off the excess as described above!!

Of course depending on whether seal is leaking or not, there may be less than 250 mls left. Filling to the level of the drain point will give a datum for adding a further 300 mls.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'm thinking the mechanic just added fluid without knowing how much. They said it was a seal that was leaking, and they want to change out all the seals ($500)but I'm not convinced they really know or if they are just guessing. The leaking on the driveway have become very small. When I get under the car the it is very noticable that the fluid has spashed all over the place. The driveway marks are not to on the passenger side but they are in the middle. I looked online to find a picture or drawing or something to indicate what the overflow tube looks like so that I can check to see if it is coming from there. I'd hate to pay $500 to get the seals replaced if they don't need to be and still end up with the same problem. Could you identify what the overflow tube looks like or where it's located? From what you guys are telling me and talking to the mechanic, I'm more convinced it is just an overflow issue but would like to rest easy by checking myself. You guys are awesome, Thank you so much!