X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change Question

Sorry to be flooding the X-Type section with so many questions! I've found a great deal of knowledge in the How-To's, FAQs and open threads, but I am seeking some additional clarification before beginning DIY work on my X-Type.

I've read the "safe" and "dangerous" methods for changing transmission fluid. I most definitely want to stick with the "safe" method, which appears to be a "drain, fill, run, repeat" process. My questions are as follows:

It appears the Castrol 03521 Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF is safe/meets Jag standards for the X-Type. Can someone confirm this for me, please? What other ATFs are recommended?

It seems about 3.5 quarts (of 8 total) will drain from the transmission drain plug. Is it okay for me to mix this Castrol fluid with the fluid that's already in there? I know with oil you can mix brands, so long as weights/viscosity are the same, does this apply to ATF as well?

The "run" part of the process is supposed to mix/cycle the fluid so you can perform another drain. It is my understanding that you repeat this "drain, fill, run" process until only the new fluid is in the transmission. Does the "run" portion mean cycling the J-Gate through the gears (P-R-N-D-4-3-2-1) several times, or do you actually need to drive the vehicle a certain distance before draining again?

Lastly, how critical is it to monitor the temperature of the transmission fluid during this process? Jaguar gives a specified temperature range, but I assume the only way to measure it is with some sort of Scan Gauge device?

Any tips, tricks and advice are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-Type Trans Fluid Change

Q- It appears the Castrol 03521 Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF is safe/meets Jag standards for the X-Type. Can someone confirm this for me, please? What other ATFs are recommended?

* Yes it does. With all the success on the forum with the Castrol Transmax Import MV I used it for my change and it worked out very well. About a year now and it is still running great.

Q- It seems about 3.5 quarts (of 8 total) will drain from the transmission drain plug. Is it okay for me to mix this Castrol fluid with the fluid that's already in there? I know with oil you can mix brands, so long as weights/viscosity are the same, does this apply to ATF as well?

* Yes. That is what I did and again I had no issues. Just make sure to put in the 3.5 + quarts you took out.

Q- The "run" part of the process is supposed to mix/cycle the fluid so you can perform another drain. It is my understanding that you repeat this "drain, fill, run" process until only the new fluid is in the transmission. Does the "run" portion mean cycling the J-Gate through the gears (P-R-N-D-4-3-2-1) several times, or do you actually need to drive the vehicle a certain distance before draining again?

* I did the run the engine and shift in place running through the gears. This worked OK but I suspect you will get much better mixing with driving the car. This is a guess. It is more of a time issue. If you have the time then drive it. Theoretically the pump should be flowing constantly as long as the engine is running. I just don’t have what the flow rate is so I ran it each time for 10+ minutes during each drain/fill cycle. I did have to run 6 gallons through to get the last dump of fluid to look good.

Q- Lastly, how critical is it to monitor the temperature of the transmission fluid during this process? Jaguar gives a specified temperature range, but I assume the only way to measure it is with some sort of Scan Gauge device?

* I didn't. The system has the required fluid in it and is not being pushed hard. I had no issues with this method.

Q- Any tips, tricks and advice are greatly appreciated.

* Others have has success accessing the fill plug without removing the battery however I didn't want to risk making a a mess so I did pull the battery. This really is as easy as changing your engine oil. There are some really good step by step directions on the site. Print them out and read. They helped me a lot.

The following users liked this post:
rjs5689 (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unibabble, thank you for the great response; you've given me the exact information I need. I was expecting to use about 6 gallons of ATF, and your post confirmed my suspicion. Good thing I have two of
these these
gallon three packs in my Amazon cart.

I'll be tackling the TC and rear diff fluid next weekend, and I'll probably do the ATF the following weekend after that.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, in South Africa they specify MOBIL ATF320 ONLY

Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I have done this procedure so many times it takes me 20 minutes. Personally I always add a bottle of Lucas transmission additive and 3 quarts of the Castrol import. I also do it every other oil change, probably not necessary, just a feel-good thing.