X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid too old to change??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid too old to change??

My Jag 03 x-type has never had the transmission fluid changed. Found out on this forum that it was possible and took it to a transmission place that works on Jags. The mechanic told me, after looking at the existing the fluid, the fluid was too old to change. It was totally broke down and black. He said by changing the fluid the filter would clog and my best best was to wait until I needed a new transmission and replace/rebuild.

Has anyone experienced this?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would drain what was in the pan and then refill that amount, do it 3 times to refresh the fluid. The fluid is really not that expensive. Drive it for 30 miles or so between each fluid drop/refill.

I do not always believe mechanics and try to do all of my own work. I can not see how what that mechanic was true. He may have meant the flush procedure but what i described above is not a flush but more of a replenish.

i used the castrol multi import on mine. I now refresh the fluid every other oil change.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 PM

The mechanic said the new oil would start "cleaning," breaking down the sludge, etc. and cause more problems.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sstacx03
The mechanic said the new oil would start "cleaning," breaking down the sludge, etc. and cause more problems.

Why dont you drop the pan , change filter

I would think

Fluid swap x2
Then change filter
Then 1 more fluid swap

Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

There is no pan on our transmissions. What is referred to as a filter is internal, needing disassembly of the transmission, to change or clean, and only catches big chunks, which came out with the flush. The mechanic is not going to kill his day doing this to your car

I bought four 5 litre jugs at Autozone for $80 and did the flush and fill many times, until the fluid came out nice and red. If you have a jug to take the flushed fluid, Autozone will take it back for free. Mine came out black initially also. If you have 4 jack stands, and keep all 4 wheels off the ground, so they can spin, you don't need to drive it 30 miles.

Drain it, measure how much you get out, and put the same amount of clean fluid in. Have a long funnel, because the fill plug is on top of the trans behind the battery. ALWAYS PUT THE FILL PLUG BACK IN, or bad things might happen. Run it on the stands for 15 minutes, and repeat until the fluid is coming out red.

On the last fill I did what I advise people not to do, and added half a bottle of Lucas conditioner, because the transmission fluid is so thin, and the front differential is part of the transmission. I was amazed at how smoothly she shifts now. Also, don't forget to fill the transfer case. It probably hasn't been touched either, if your fluid was that black.

I added the rest of the Lucas bottle into the transfer case. It is a physically demanding job, but pays off in spades......Good Luck....Mike

The following users liked this post:
sstacx03 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I sorta did what mrplow58 suggested and changed out all fluids with a high quality synthetic, Amsoil. Transmission, transfer case, differential and of course the crank. The difference is amazing!

Kitty was struggling with some shifts and showed signs of future failure, but almost immediately all of that went away with the new fluids.

Whatever you do... use quality fluids that match or exceed Jaguar's recommendations. Or do a search, there are plenty of opinions on the subject of oils.

BTW, Kitty had 50k miles on her when I did everything and the "old" oils in the trans, t/c & diff's were all black!

Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by hobbs
I sorta did what mrplow58 suggested and changed out all fluids with a high quality synthetic, Amsoil. Transmission, transfer case, differential and of course the crank. The difference is amazing!

Kitty was struggling with some shifts and showed signs of future failure, but almost immediately all of that went away with the new fluids.

Whatever you do... use quality fluids that match or exceed Jaguar's recommendations. Or do a search, there are plenty of opinions on the subject of oils.

BTW, Kitty had 50k miles on her when I did everything and the "old" oils in the trans, t/c & diff's were all black!
Thanks for response - Just an FYI - My Jag has 150K

Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I would love to know how the "mechanic" checked the fluid, access is nearly impossible. Big prob here is that if you speak to Jaguar, they tell you that the trans is "Sealed for life" absolute rubbish ! If looked after, these engines, petrol or diesel, will run to 300K, no oil will survive that. The advice above is superb, but have a look at the workshop manual, temperature, draining and filling need some care. Good luck, please let us know how you get on. Martin.

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sstacx03
Thanks for response - Just an FYI - My Jag has 150K
Wow... 150k, and that's without a change of oils in the transmission, or transfer case? You must have one of the Tuesday built Jaguars. I've read some have had their trannies go out at 75k and t/c's at 60k. Someone's been watching over your Jag.

I would definitely change out now! I would follow mrplow's suggestion and clean out both tranny & t/c. Just my 2cents.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.