X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission issues

I have a 2002 2,oo auto V6. Suddenly lost drive, When the car is col i can get some movement but when it warms up, nothing. Certainly wont go up any form of slope. No noise, no shudder. On a manual would be like the clutch had gone. Any ideas. Could it be torque converter or fluid? all advise welcome.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Yes, it could be low fluid, but where has it gone? Leaks? More likely is that you are experiencing a common issue with the 2002 cars - the JATCO506E transmission had a few issues - Unfortunately you may be in for a transmission rebuild.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Simplest, least expensive move is to service the transmission fluid, then check operation. Lots of threads here on how to DIY. How many miles on your car, and has fluid ever been serviced?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage etc

The car has done 103000 and the fluid has never been touched. Thought it was a seeled unit.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 AM

Yes, Jaguar said "lifetime fill" on transmission, transfer case and differential, as have many OEMs. However, many owners define "lifetime fill" to mean "lifetime fill until component failure, then we'll be happy to replace it - at your expense." I'm in that group. Drain your transmission fluid and you'll likely find two things: Low level and the fluid itself looks (and smells) absolutely shot. Transmission fluid drain/refill on this car is relatively easy; transfer case and differential lube change is more difficult but can be done if you have correct kit for DIY. If you don't wrench on your car then you'll need to hunt for a competent shop.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission issues-fluids1.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 04-25-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just completed this task with the help of posts on here. In my case it has worked out terrific! After draining 3 1/2 quarts each time, my trans shifting has improved and the color and smell of the fluid has improved and I am only out like maybe 140 bucks. well worth the time and effort to try this before giving up on your trans!

My car is a 2002 with over 150K!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by neilw
The car has done 103000 and the fluid has never been touched. Thought it was a seeled unit.
The JATCO transmission is not a "sealed unit." The fluid can be serviced. The "lifetime fill" meme by OEMs has been out there for a good long while now, and the reasons why abound. I think it's because they're trying to force consumers to not only buy (and finance) the cars but also come to dealerships for service and repair. They don't want us proles wrenching on our own cars in other words. Most of my worklife was in military and commercial piloting, so I'm adverse to component failure. Hence I'm in the group that believes in servicing fluids and ignoring the marketers. Service your tranny and you may be pleasantly surprised.