Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifting on 05

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Transmission Shifting on 05

Hey guys;

I have a 05 with 51k miles I got last week. I bought it in VA and paid an independent 3rd party to inspect the car and test drive it with special emphasis on the transmision and transfer case noises and performance. The mechanical inspection and test drive came back as great, so I got the car.

The transmission seems to shift flawlessly 98 percent of the time, but I have noticed now on two occasions, and only when turning right, if I quickly let my foot of the gas and then accelerate again the car won't exactly jerk, but will have a strange very firm upshift, almost a very light jolt. I have already changed the trans fluid.

This could be me being paranoid. I was the same way when I first got my first X type. The car never jerks or hesitates out of a stop. Only happens when turning right

Any help appreciated

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-21-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Well I just spend one hour this morning trying to car to replicate what I felt when turning right with no luck. I even shut it down and restarted it and tried it in a parking lot. Hopefully I am just overly sensitive

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-21-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Am guessing you are paranoid. Might be that if you take your foot off the accelerator and then put it back on quickly you are probably just at the right speed with just the right amount of pressure where the transmission is in that sweet spot between gears. Now if it did it all the time that would be a different situation. Might also be the now that the car has a different owner the transmission is " learning" how you drive and is trying to adapt.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Am guessing you are paranoid. Might be that if you take your foot off the accelerator and then put it back on quickly you are probably just at the right speed with just the right amount of pressure where the transmission is in that sweet spot between gears. Now if it did it all the time that would be a different situation. Might also be the now that the car has a different owner the transmission is " learning" how you drive and is trying to adapt.
I hope you are right. The transmission shifts flawlessly 98 percent of the time. But if I make what I guess we can call a sharp turn , taking my foot of the gas and back on very quickly as I am turning (right for some reason) I can definitely "feel" a hard shift . It's probably because of how I make my turns. I have spend hours now looking for any posts with a transmission failure that manifested itself only on right turns and found none. I did find a post where another owner was having a similar symptom when turning and had learned to "feather" his accelerator on turns.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-21-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

I had to drive about an hour in 5PM 100degree weather traffic to go downtown, and the car definitely is not its
best in very low gear letting of the gas and quickly accelerating again and stop and accelaring again etc etc. I felt a couple of jolts or confusion ,but I think that's just how these transmissions function. I think this is how my 04 was for the most part. I have already gone thru +24 quarts of Castrol multi import ATF. I added Lucas Trans fix on my RIP old X type and the transmission was still working well when it flooded out at 100k+ miles. Hopefully it does the same on this car.

i am pondering using Amsoil the next drain and fill, but not sure if it would be worth the cost or if it can mix with all the Castrol ATF in there safely. But maybe in a extreme climate like South Texas Amsoil is worth it.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 07-21-2017 at 08:52 AM.