X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission: Slow to Engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Transmission: Slow to Engage

Ok, I'm starting to see a trend here: the car turns 5 years, the problems start coming in. Sigh.

Anyway, I've started to notice something in the past month now that's getting me worried. When I went to start the car this morning to go to work, I shifted it into reverse (and drive), but the transmission wouldn't engage, as if it was in neutral. I waited about 2 minutes and it was only then that it engaged.

I've only noticed this on Monday mornings because come Friday evening, the car is parked in the garage and not driven over the weekend. I've never had it happen any other time.

The other strange thing is that the shifter has this elastic feel to it and doesn't "snap" into any position. I've driven this car for 5+ years, and so I know my shifter.

So is this a transmission problem or a bad shift control cable?

Coincidentally I was planning on taking it next week to have the fluid changed at the dealer but I really doubt fluid has anything to do with it, especially so that it only has around 46K on the clock.

Help/

Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up guys, I just found this post. I recently had to replace my radiator and in doing so had to remove the inlet and outlet hoses on the intercooler. I guess this is cooled by the tranny fluid...anyway long story short i didnt reconnect the hoses properly and lost A LOT of tranny fluid on the driveway. I was able to find a description of where the fill port is on this forum. However, there were no pictures of where exactly the fill port was. I have attached this picture so it would be easier for everyone to find. Also somebody else in the forum, i can't remember who, made the following suggestion.
Dump the tranny fluid from the drain port and fill it up with new fluid once a quarter. Now your only going to get what is sitting in the transfer case i believe (I'm not an expert) but that should be about 3-4 quarts. If you do this even twice a year it will definitely help an older tranny. Like i said i'm no expert so anyone feel free to jump in. Also i used Mercon V when i refilled my tranny after dumping everything.

Consequently due to their not being any fluid in the transmission when i engaged any of the gears on the car it did not shift into any. I think this sounds similar to what you are experiencing. It doesnt hurt to change the fluid yourself and see if that resolves the problem. from what i have heard, rumors really, there is not transmission filter in the x type. There is nothing mentioned in the electronic manual on Alldatadiy as well. So i would suggest using the Mercon V (regular not synthetic) and drain and fill the tranny fluid. Again, i'm not an expert just letting you know the experiences that i've encountered with my 2002 X type that i have owned for 6 years.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission: Slow to Engage-img-20120509-00028.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry its a Hex bolt for the screw head T-30 i think. I'll double check if you like to get you the exact number.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

After the last time I reported about this problem, I was suppose to take it in to have the transmission fluid changed but got super busy and distracted and the issue actually went away, so I forgot about it.

But guess what, it's back, and worse than before.

So again, when I shift into drive the transmission doesn't engage immediately, takes from 5-30 seconds. It happens completely at random, but now more often. I've noticed it never happens in reverse, just Drive (and 4/3/2) Yesterday I was backing out of a parking spot and was close to the car behind me, and when I put it into Drive and took my foot off the pedal, the car rolled back and BOOM...my bumper met with theirs, luckily no damage to either.

The car was at the Jag dealer the other day, and after keeping it for 2 days, they were not able to replicate the problem nor find a cause for it. They didn't even recommend a fluid change as the current fluid checked out fine.

I'm at loss here. Hate to say this, but I was PRAYING the dealer would find something wrong so I can repair it. Last thing I want is for this to happen when I need the car to perform and it fails (e.g. major intersection) with my two kids in the back.

I took a small video of it happening to show the dealer cause I'm taking it back tonight.

I know the X-Type's weakness is the transmission, but come on, the car only has 46K. Needless to say, I'm giving myself from now until end of summer to find the problem, and if I don't find it, or if I do and it's in excess of $1000, the car is going. I love her to pieces, but I can't take a chance on a major repair, I've been bitten in the past with a similar situation.

Last edited by spielnicht; 07-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.