X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to Keep It Running

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to Keep It Running

A few months ago I bought a 2003 X-Type AWD with about 140,000 miles on it. The car looked great, seemed to run well, was fairly inexpensive, and I had always wanted one. Well, since then it's been one thing after another.

Last week I had a transmission sensor installed after the car kept thinking it was in "drive" and would not start. Over $600 later the car worked. A few days later the infamous "Gearbox Fault" and "Cruise Control Not Available" messages came back. I took it back to the mechanic, who happens to specialize in Jaguars, cleared all the codes and told me to let him know what happens. The messages came back. He said that I might have a "tranny problem."

The transmission seems like it slips just a little bit. When I'm coming to a stop, I can feel it shifting down as I approach a stop. I can actually hear a soft "clunk" - it's barely audible but I know each sound my car makes.

Before I spend any more money and have someone look at the "tranny", any suggestions? I'm seriously selling this car......

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Normally you don't hear the car shifting down come to the stop, and you should not hear the "clunk" in the trany, I don't know the problems, but absolutely your trany need repair or replace. Did you check the trans fluid, hope it might just need to fill up the fluid.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 PM

Thanks. How the heck do you add tranny fluid to this Jag? That's the first thing I thought of because I do get a little whining sound....

Old 11-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Looking down in the engine compartment right next to the side of the battery box you should be able to see a rubber plug. That is the fill hole for the transmission. You should be able to reach down with pliers and remove the the plug.
Make sure you follow the level checking provedure before just adding more fluid. Over fill is just as bad as under fill.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Find out what codes he was getting to reach that diagnosis and then post them here. The issues may or may not be related. Could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor. At the vary least have the fuids changed in teh transmission and transfer case if that has not been done.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Looking down in the engine compartment right next to the side of the battery box you should be able to see a rubber plug. That is the fill hole for the transmission. You should be able to reach down with pliers and remove the the plug.
Make sure you follow the level checking provedure before just adding more fluid. Over fill is just as bad as under fill.
Many thanks for your reply. I assume I need to remove the battery box which is easy enough. How, though, do you know how much transmission oil is needed? Also, someone told me last night that Jaguars require a "special" oil which is why changing the oil is so expensive. Jiffy Lube wanted $299. Seems pricey. Thanks and have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-pics-183620/

Second page has the repair manual procedure on the only and correct method to check a Jaguar X type transmission fluid. PITA!!

Old 11-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Reading all that is involved, and reading the horror stories over the years; that $299 price does not seem to bad to me now.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Just my personal viewpoint, but I wouldn't let a Jiffy Lube with a city block of my car. Even so called expert transmission shops gave mistakenly spun the wrong plug out of the rear of the transmission to check the fluid level. When they do that, they screw the reverse band (held by the plug/screw) & you end up with no reverse and limited movement forward. Taking the transmission out to repair the muck up is a mess.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Good point Dell, you mention that and I recall a cross threaded drain bolt I received from a shop once. Must remember to add reputable to those type comments.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

There is no point in owning a used Jaguar IF you can't DIY the repair.
You will just spend too much money.

That's what this forum is for. Remember all the problems have long been found out and the answers are all in the forum!

Old 11-24-2017, 02:16 PM

So, let me see if I got this right. I CAN check the transmission fluid from the right side of the engine via the plug? However, I still don't know how I'll know how much fluid I will need. I'm obviously trying to avoid going to a shop and paying several hundred dollars to do this. If possible I'd like to check the fluid myself. Many thanks!

Old 11-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

perhaps a fluid swap would be in order.

every 20K ( on all my cars ) i drain the fluid in the pan and refill. Keeps the fluid fresh

for the xtype i use the castrol multi vehicle import, and if i remember correctly the drain is 3.5Qt. but if your fluid level is low or even high you may be best bet to just drain and refill.

the process is actually super easy on the xtype . drain plug on bottom of trans , and get a very small funnel and a tube . works no problem.

i keep the exact fluid capacity written in my notebook in my garage so cant speak to the exact amount , the 3.5qt stated above is a best guess from memory.

Last edited by slownlo; 11-26-2017 at 06:51 PM.