Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Up Casualties

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Tune Up Casualties

Well, I did a premature tune up on my car, mainly because I was looking for a piece of my old break vacuum booster hose that fell inside the intake last week, and which I thought was still there. I was right, and the plastic part fell out of the intake once I took the intake out and put it in its side.

Every else worked out great except:

1--broke the vacuum hose that goes from the back of the intake to the fuel pressure regulator. I am going to Autozone in a moment to find a temporary solution with some vacuum hose and using the existing ends.

2---more alarming-- I broke one of the bolts that holds down one of the coils up front (thank God it was not the back!) . Fortunately I just broke the top of the bolt so it can be extracted at a later date. I just worried about driving without the bolt holding the coil down --any adverse effect that anyone can think of ??

Old 07-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you got a bump or more the coil will come loose and you have the miss fire which when you drive you'll feel like caterpillars in your stomach. Not fun.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Spike, like Thang said, the coil can come loose resulting in a misfire. But the coils tend to stick on pretty well. So, I would not worry about it too much. I think your bigger issue will be if it rains, it will be more likely to get water into the well, leading to a misfire that way.

Since you have part of the bolt sticking out, I would use some Kroil or PBBlaster and soak it really good and then using some vice grips, extract the bolt. You can get a replacement bolt from your local Lowes/Home Depot/Fastenal.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thanksfor your replies guys.

The first mishap with the vacuum hose was easily resolved with vacuum hose from the auto parts storeI just put the ends of the broken hose on the new one. This is the box the hose came in, I don't have any indication it won't do what the original part did, so I won't be buying a new jaguar part

The second more serious incident with the head of the coil bolt snapping can probably wait until next weekend. Since only the head of the bolt snapped of and the rest of the bolt is there, I cut up the old intake gaskets and put them around the bolt to try and secure the coil. I am sure enough force will get it popped out

Last edited by Spikepaga; 07-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It may not look genuine OEM, but the hoses is to suck the air from brake booster to created the vacuum, so as long as it's fit it's will work. For snapped coil hold down bolt, remove the intake manifold is not take long, since you already done and knew what you do, you said part of it sticking out, it's not tight as you thought, just use a pair of pliers or even just your fingers to turn it out, I had many cam shaft caps bolts snap off, all I do is take the cap off and removed the bolt back with my finger.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
It may not look genuine OEM, but the hoses is to suck the air from brake booster to created the vacuum, so as long as it's fit it's will work. For snapped coil hold down bolt, remove the intake manifold is not take long, since you already done and knew what you do, you said part of it sticking out, it's not tight as you thought, just use a pair of pliers or even just your fingers to turn it out, I had many cam shaft caps bolts snap off, all I do is take the cap off and removed the bolt back with my finger.

thanks for your reply. So far the coil has held in place, even thru Houston's pot hole infested roads. It should hold until I go back in there next weekend or the one after that. hopefully I don't have to take the cam cover of!!