X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune up/ engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tune up/ engine light on

Engine light on so took to local garage that works on it for me (when I don't!) They say she needs tune up new plugs and new coils on back side, oil leak into plug holes and of course change all the gaskets and the MAF sensor but did not say anything on the knock sensor? They wanted over 2,000 grand so I am getting pressed into doing this because kind of short on that kind of cash right now.
Snow storm here so will probably gather my parts together in a week or so before I start.

Any suggestion where to get parts and information what to watch out most appreciated!

One question first off I do have. Why drain the antifreeze? I just had that changed oh I guess 5 months ago.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If You have changed the antifreeze, with the proper kind. It should be fine, just make sure the level is proper.

I would move the back coils to the front side. To see how it runs after all of your work. The code for the bad coils would then transfer to new codes telling you it is a front side problem. Should they be bad they are much EZer to replace on the front. But they may also be fine.

Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
geewilicurs (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Just did this last week.

Originally Posted by geewilicurs
Engine light on so took to local garage that works on it for me (when I don't!) They say she needs tune up new plugs and new coils on back side, oil leak into plug holes and of course change all the gaskets and the MAF sensor but did not say anything on the knock sensor? They wanted over 2,000 grand so I am getting pressed into doing this because kind of short on that kind of cash right now.
Snow storm here so will probably gather my parts together in a week or so before I start.

Any suggestion where to get parts and information what to watch out most appreciated!

One question first off I do have. Why drain the antifreeze? I just had that changed oh I guess 5 months ago.
Thanks!
I just did all of this. No reason to change the anti freeze. Just siphon what is in the reservoir out then have a clamp ready to seal off the hose that goes to the throttle body.
I am in Canada and the prices won't be right, but it was $130.00 for the valve cover gasket set, and $34.00 for the intake manifold set.
It took me about 6 hours to change the plugs, intake manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. Take a few pictures as you remove parts to help with the wire and hose routings. My misfire codes went away after cleaning the oil out of the spark plug holes. Just to be safe while I was in there I sprayed the connector s to everything with contact cleaner.
Good luck. Oh yes got the parts at Carquest, in stock.

Last edited by daro31; 01-25-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Addition
geewilicurs (01-26-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another quick question before I order my parts today for this job. I understand from reading all the help posts that I need to replace INM upper and lowers. But on the parts form from the garage they have a $180.00 for a valve cover gasket? Is that different from the two intake manifold gaskets? And do I really need to change that one too?

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Manifold Gaskets.

Originally Posted by geewilicurs
Another quick question before I order my parts today for this job. I understand from reading all the help posts that I need to replace INM upper and lowers. But on the parts form from the garage they have a $180.00 for a valve cover gasket? Is that different from the two intake manifold gaskets? And do I really need to change that one too?

Hope someone can help. Thanks
I read on here about lower manifold gaskets but decided to not disturb what wasn't a problem. The valve gasket set also has a new rubber "O" ring for all of the bolts so it is more than just valve cover gaskets. I just did upper manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets and all is well after 2 weeks. No more ignition coil error codes.

geewilicurs (02-01-2016)