X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob says hello and help lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob says hello and help lol

First off let me say hello to everyone. I am by far no noob when it comes to cars I have had tons and done everything from camaros, turbo hondas, srt4, VW, and this would be my 2nd jaguar. I joined to try to get some help with a 2002 x type I grabbed a few days ago for 800 bucks. Car exterior and interior are in perfect condition but then there is why I got it for 800. It would not drive. Doing some quick research before I decided to grab it I was leaning towards TCM and still kinda am. Heres a summary of issue.

When I first got car it would start and idle perfect. However it would not move at all in any gear and had a dead throttle pedal in all gears. Had CEL on and reading gearbox fail no cruise. TCM I was thinking... Got it home swapped the TCM relay in engine bay for the AC clutch one and now the car will move. It has reverse and forward gear operation. However I still have the dead throttle pedal condition.

Grabbed a scanner and things got weird. First scan came up with the following
p0300 misfire
p0301 cyl 1 misfire
0303 cyl 3 misfire
0305 cyl 5 misfire
1313 misfire
0102 Maf sensor low volt
0112 IAT sensor High Volt
0122 TP sensor 1 low Volt
0222 TP sensor 2 low Volt
0354 Ignition module malf cyl 4
0356 Ignition module mald cyl 6
1108 Map sensor High V

Thinking maybe some of these were due to having the dead pedal due to TCM relay I cleared them. Ran car for a few minutes and rescanned to find a new batch and none of the codes above
0743 TCC solenoid malf
0748 Line pressue control malf
0753 Shift solenoid A malf
0758 Shift solenoid B malf
0763 Shift solenoid c malf
0778 Brake pressure control solenoid malf
1745 Low clutch timing solenoid malf
1746 Reduction solenoid malf
1747 Break timing malf

Problem I have is phishing through what codes are just being thrown due to car not having a normal operating throttle pedal and which ones are truly messed up. I know codes like 0122 and 0222 say they cause dead pedal. I can tell you the misfires to me are due to having rpm killed when in gear cause in idle motor sounds perfect it def is not misfiring.

Would a completely shot TCM cause my issues? If not where should I start.

Thanks guys for any direction.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Welcome to JF. Lots of good info here.

As for your issue, it is very possible that you are dealing with a bad throttlebody. Having played with a few of them, what it appears happens is after use, the brushes in the throttle body motor will not make good contact and lead to the throttle body motor not responding. You can open up the throttle body motor (requires a special penta-torx bit, yes a 5 pointed torx bit) to access, but then you can exercise the springs a little bit by rebending them slightly to allow them to apply a little more pressure to ensure good contact.

As for the tranny issue, this is sounding like a bad fluid pump in the tranny. I am by no means a tranny expert, but the problems that you are seeing can all be caused by low system pressure.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM

Ok I will try and look into throttle body issue first hopefully get revs back. Watched a video on throttle body pins and such other day Ill take it out clean it up real nice and se how she looks. I know previous owner changed the tps before he said.

Then I will do a good flush of tranny and see how nasty that looks and go from there. Still thinking maybe it is the TCM since all the codes come up with possible faults of tcm. Either way Ill figure it out sooner or later lol.

Thanks for help

Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

jfruauff, if the previous owner changed out the TPS, then I would start with that. A lot of members here have had issues with their TPS and finding a proper TPS to work with the car is very difficult. There are a lot that will bolt up and plug in with no problems. The issue comes that the internals of the TPS are not the same and therefore the computer gets all confused and isn't sure what is going on and therefore, will toss all sorts of codes and make the engine run goofey.

Supposedly if you look on a website called "alibaba.com", there is someone there that is selling the correct TPS for the X-Type.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 AM

I am probably just gonna take a chance and purchase a complete one off ebay or somewhere. I know swapping tps sensors on most cars is a task getting it in that sweet spot and in my experience with my VW some brands of replacement electronics just dont cut it.

I am assuming the low transmission pressure are from me strap towing the car to my house. I did it with car running and in neutral to make sure transmission had some fluid movement and only went a mile or so. Hoping once I get throttle issue resolved and can get engine to rev a bit that those codes will clear out. If not then Ill tackle that issue.

Was just picked up cause it thought it was a decent deal. I think even if I have to swap a used transmission ill still come out good overall with the deal.