X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Turbo Charge

As I wrote a few threads back my Ford mechanic neighbor told me the V6 engine in these cars are the work horse of the Ford V6 fleet. He said this engine is now in the new Taurus but it is now over 3 liters displacement. on the Taurus SHO, it is turbo charged. So I am thinking, I wonder how much the Turbo charger would cost, including intercooler and wastegate and the rest of the plumbing involved from Ford. Question I do have, are there any aftermarket Turbo kits for the 2.5L engine? This would be my last hurrah with tuning a car. I couldn't do the work myself, but my neighbor's prices his work very reasonable, ie $10 labor for changing the oil and check all the fluids. I bet this car would be a stormer with a turbo installed. What do you mates think?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I think your transfer case would die a very quick death.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

turbo charged x type = HELLLA BADASSS
turbo charged x type + reality = picking up your drive train off the road.

Its a awesome idea, but you have to jump alot of hurdles just to make it even feasible. Such as the lack of room in the engine bay, your going to have to get rid of alot of comforts and engine accesories and relocate them.

Not the transfer case can barley handle the out put from a stock motor and daily driving, how do you plan to deal with that.

My solution, get your hands on a srt8 jeep transfer case, those are bulit proof till you jump the 600hp range, making it fit, i have no idea.

And dont forget to reinforce just about every engine component.

These are just ideas, I dont know how you could pull it off, I would say its almost a safer bet to convert it to a rwd vehicle, or get your self a sho power train and drive train and work on making it fit.

Good luck if you choose to go ahead, Im thinking about when my car officially starts to dig its grave, im throwing in a 350, and converting it to a rwd. Ive been dreaming of that day haha.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think we've got a bit of a sow's ear here. You've got very little space in the engine bay for any add-ons and the drive train is already marginal for the power the engines produce. Combine this with the rusting-sill syndrome and you may be throwing money away. Get a supercharged S Type and all your problems are solved.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM

If I was going to supercharge I get a Cadillac CTS, with the LS6 supercharged engine stander ed equipment

Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

no turbo for the jag, the transmission will explode into a million pieces.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
If I was going to supercharge I get a Cadillac CTS, with the LS6 supercharged engine stander ed equipment
My '05 CTS-V came with a naturally aspirated (NA) LS6. I tinkered an eBay-bought Magnuson supercharger onto it (along with long-tube headers, etc, etc) which dramatically increased the stock 400 hp to somewhere near 550-575 crank hp. Only in '09 (and thereafter) did the CTS-V come from the factory with a supercharged LSA motor.

Good to know that the X-Type has this Achilles heal of a driveshaft. Since this is my daily driver (and hence I'm out for longevity as well as fuel economy and snow-defeating AWD), this weakness doesn't bother me too much. Thank goodness for this forum and the knowledge here.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I think it was done by RacerX quite a long time ago. From what i remember he said he wouldn't do it again.

You could certainly install a turbo system, perhaps the Vette style aftermarket kits that have the compressor back at the mufflers.

But, you'll probably want to lower the compression ratio, get a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or some other means to feed more fuel, bigger injectors, etc.

I can only say for sure it would end up costing at least $5000 to $7000 just to replace your transmission and transfer case after you blow them both up 10 minutes after getting the turbo working.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't get it.

I was in traffic this morning starting from a light, I'm in the left lane and the right lane came to an end in about 100 yards. Everyone knows to merge b4 the light, some asshat rolls up in a V6 Jetta and looks at me revs his motor as the light goes to change to green. I thought I would test out the power, pavement was a bit slick so when the light change I hammered it as did the Jetta, he ended up 2 car lengths behind me which is lucky since the douche was turning left at the next light.

In any case the car has power, it has some torque but if you added more you know the transfer case would be all over the road. It's a freakin' Jaguar, it's not a Vette, it's not a 5 liter Mustang, it's a Jaguar. You can't make it something it's not. If you want more to add gobs of power sell the car, I have yet to see a muscle car magazine with a Jaguar X-Type on the cover. Get an S Type, comes with an untapped 8, make it a 500HP monster.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

^ in your example, what is has is traction!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Bunch of ninnies. Sts remote mount turbo kit back in place of a rear muffler. Oil pump to scavenge the turbo. Bigger injectors are no big deal but you do have a 20% adaptable stock ecu setup. The trans is durable as is the t case . The problem is ricky racer that wants to launch from stop lights. I wouldnt worry about the internals as normally aspirated motors are just about easily good for 5 psi. If you want stronger build the engine with pauhter billet rods and cp piston. Both companies build hi performance custom 1 off rods and pistons. Just send them your to duplicate. These are the same things i did in my nissan frontier when i built the engine to live under intended higher boost levels. You looking at about $2000 for rods, and pistons with rings and pins. Injectors are no big deal either and can easily upgrade to a walbro fuel pump. The ecu would need to be tuned for larger injectors since its gonna want to run higher duty cycles and that will be way too rich. If you dont like a remote mount turbo you can move the battery and have enough room there but then will require custom exhaust manifold to be made and plumbed, and that will get even more expensive.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 ^

Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Smarties, not ninnies. Most people aren't interested in spending $40,000 to get a $10,000 car. If it's your hobby and you're happy to spend the money that's great, but it doesn't make sense.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Tony that must be canadian $$$ right, cause you wouldnt be close to 40k and its not about spending money and having it increase the VALUE of the car. Its about doing something no one else has, or at least few. How about buying a 40k car thats now worth 10k is there a differance?????
besides smarties know that it really pays to take public transportation, no gas, no repairs, no depriciation, no problem
But I guess you have a car too huh... I have 4

Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I think the point is, if you were looking to build a hotrod you wouldn't start with an X-Type. Personally I wouldn't even start with a Jaguar.

You can get a V8 Tourag pretty cheap, it's pretty much a detuned Cayenne and build a 500+HP rocket with all wheel drive that is dependable and bullet proof enough to work on and use as a DD.

I love my Jagon, but dude, it is not nor could it ever be a 1/8 mile monster.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Smile Turbo

Thanks for all the advice, mostly negative, but I was just thinking about a turbo, as I don't have the money or motivation any longer to do this type of job. Also, after reading how poor the drive train and apparently the engine is in these cars, now I wonder if it is going to go 40K miles without falling apart.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM

I DONT SEE ALOT OF DRIVE TRAIN ISSUE LIKE THE EARLY CARS 02-03 ANYMORE AND WE DONT HAVE TRRANSFERE CASES BLOWING UP EITHER. i DO HAVE ALOT OF X TYPES OVER A 100K. THE BIGGEST ISSUES ARE HOSES AND PLASTIC, OIL PANS, AND AC COMPRESSORS

Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if i was building a hot rod thats a jaguar ( which i would, cuase too many american ones are aroun and I like to be original and do something different), I would start with the 1976 xjc. image links inclosed. I would etheir swap the v12, cuase the injectors are fussy and the engine is a bitch to keep cool out not to mention numerious other probelms. And put something american, say ls7, or srt10 engine in, heck and good old big block or small block would work. then try the corvett set up on the new motors mentioned, such as the one used on the smoking vette. But it would not be cheap. Well....maybe

Thats my dream project anyways, i would love to see the one in the picture pull up to a light, some hot shot in a new mustang or shelby, get his *** handed to him by a lazy looking beast. Awww the future

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:5,s:0

Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Unhappy Turbo

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
I DONT SEE ALOT OF DRIVE TRAIN ISSUE LIKE THE EARLY CARS 02-03 ANYMORE AND WE DONT HAVE TRRANSFERE CASES BLOWING UP EITHER. i DO HAVE ALOT OF X TYPES OVER A 100K. THE BIGGEST ISSUES ARE HOSES AND PLASTIC, OIL PANS, AND AC COMPRESSORS
I have a 03 and that's what bothers me. It seems, according to what I read on this forum these cars self destruct. Suspension, engine, tranny, transfer case, AWD system all junk. I bought this car hoping it would be the last car I would have to buy I am 64 and handicapped and on SS. So it this cars goes I won't have a drive.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:18 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I think the point is, if you were looking to build a hotrod you wouldn't start with an X-Type. Personally I wouldn't even start with a Jaguar.

You can get a V8 Tourag pretty cheap, it's pretty much a detuned Cayenne and build a 500+HP rocket with all wheel drive that is dependable and bullet proof enough to work on and use as a DD.

I love my Jagon, but dude, it is not nor could it ever be a 1/8 mile monster.
You smoking crack? Tourag and dependable makes me laugh. Now my XJR which is a Jaguar cost me less than any Hitler brand breeder buggie, has nearly 400 hp and goes faster to 60 then a Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Turbo Charge