X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn Signal Lights Not Working

All my turn signal lights. this happenned after replacing my dead battery with anew one. The failure could have been caused by jump starting when trying to start car.

Does any one know the fuse number for the turn signals (or relay number if there is any) I tried to look for the fuse location in the Owners handbook but it is not there.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps the turn signal flasher unit burned out?

I also cannot locate any fuse or relay that is supposed to cover that circuit according to the fuse chart for my 2004

The following users liked this post:
mmolaik (11-28-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

mmolaik, the turn signals are powered from the GEM module. So, as long as your power windows are still working, you know your GEM module is still getting power. You would need to verify that the turn signal is still in good working order. After that, it doesn't leave much else that it can be. If you need more info, let me know and I will see what I can do to give you specific wires to check with a multimeter.

mmolaik (11-28-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So Thermo.....do I take it that there is no flasher unit like on most cars?

mmolaik (11-28-2010)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

Seeker, no flasher unit. The flash rate is controlled by the GEM module. So, there is nothing that you can change out to make the bulb flash rate change.

mmolaik (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
mmolaik, the turn signals are powered from the GEM module. So, as long as your power windows are still working, you know your GEM module is still getting power. You would need to verify that the turn signal is still in good working order. After that, it doesn't leave much else that it can be. If you need more info, let me know and I will see what I can do to give you specific wires to check with a multimeter.
I will check the power windows and come back to you. I also realised the the high beam headlamps do not work.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Default turn Signals Not working

The power windows are working.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Mmolaik, what you will need to do is to remove the plastic trim from around the steering column. This will expose the turn signal switch. Now, remove the plug from the turn signal switch. Locate the blue/green striped wire (there are two of them, either one will work) and the black wire. What I want you to do is using a small piece of wire, I want you to use the piece of wire to short these two points together (make sure to have the ignition key in the RUN position). This should cause one of your turn signals to work. If it don't, then that confirms a bad GEM module, replace the GEM module. If the lights work, then you have a bad turn signal switch.

I hope this helps you out. If you think you have a bad GEM module, verify that the black wire is shorted to ground by doing a resistance check between the black wire and the body of the car (any bare metal surface). It should be under 5 ohms. If you are getting something over 5 ohms, then your problem is this black wire is not connected properly. You need to fix this black wire.

mmolaik (12-05-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 AM

Mmolaik, what you will need to do is to remove the plastic trim from around the steering column. This will expose the turn signal switch. Now, remove the plug from the turn signal switch. Locate the blue/green striped wire (there are two of them, either one will work) and the black wire. What I want you to do is using a small piece of wire, I want you to use the piece of wire to short these two points together (make sure to have the ignition key in the RUN position). This should cause one of your turn signals to work. If it don't, then that confirms a bad GEM module, replace the GEM module. If the lights work, then you have a bad turn signal switch.

I hope this helps you out. If you think you have a bad GEM module, verify that the black wire is shorted to ground by doing a resistance check between the black wire and the body of the car (any bare metal surface). It should be under 5 ohms. If you are getting something over 5 ohms, then your problem is this black wire is not connected properly. You need to fix this black wire.
I am out of town and I am using another car. I will do the checks when I get home on sunday and give you feedback on what I found. I hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks Thermo for all the assistance.
I managed. I followed your instructions and managed to trace the fault to burnt insulation on the headlamp wires which were creating a shortcircuit and blowing up the GEM fuse(Fuse F25). I replaced the wires, replaced the fuse and everything worked fine.

Now I need to replace the battery positive cable which is getting hot.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no turn sig on rear 2004 S-type

does the S-type have a gem module for the rear blinker like the X-type of the same year ?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF 2017, right turning signal issue

Hello Dear,

I have Jaguar XF 2017 35T, and I dont know whats the exact issue, passenger's turning signal does not work and blinking fast when presses, type of the light is a new generation of headlight of 2017, can someone please help

Old 03-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts