X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off "always on" low beam DTRL

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning off "always on" low beam DTRL

I'm living in Vancouver Canada with a 2004 X-type. The low beam lights on my car are always on, even when the control switch is turned off inside the car. (aparrently Canadian rule)

Anyone know a garage or a mechanic that can make the low beam lights respond using the control switch inside the car? OR have experience fixing this?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

blank101, the solution is easy, but probably not quite what you want to hear. There is no simple "cut this wire" and all is fixed. The wiring that needs to be modified is inside the headlight switch. So, with that being said, I would say to talk with an auto wrecker here in the US and see if you can get a non-DRL headlight switch sent to you. Then all you have to do is unplug the Canadian (DRL) headlight switch and slap in this one. All the cars use the same headlight switch (ie, black face with the same plug arrangement on the back).

Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if it is like Ontario...If you get caught is can cost much money.. Having spent a great deal of time in Toronto, I know the OPP frown on stuff like that. Telling them the car came that way SOMETIMES works..especially if you can get away with telling that you got the car in the US.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
blank101, the solution is easy, but probably not quite what you want to hear. There is no simple "cut this wire" and all is fixed. The wiring that needs to be modified is inside the headlight switch. So, with that being said, I would say to talk with an auto wrecker here in the US and see if you can get a non-DRL headlight switch sent to you. Then all you have to do is unplug the Canadian (DRL) headlight switch and slap in this one. All the cars use the same headlight switch (ie, black face with the same plug arrangement on the back).

Hope this helps.

How is it removed ? A gentle wedge with a screwdriver ?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by boobea
Don't know if it is like Ontario...If you get caught is can cost much money.. Having spent a great deal of time in Toronto, I know the OPP frown on stuff like that. Telling them the car came that way SOMETIMES works..especially if you can get away with telling that you got the car in the US.
Exactly- all cars sold in Canada must have DLRs. At a minimum, you'll get a 48 hour warning to get them fixed but since they do no harm why disable them?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks guys. Great info, exactly what I needed to know.

I'll do some searching for the switch.

To narrow the search has anyone done it and know part number or sure win places to look?

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

JagXster, I am not sure how the switch comes out. I Think it is just held in place by some friction clips. I have never had the need to remove the headlight switch on my Jag. Worst case, you can remove the sunglass holder under it and then reach up to feel around for any tabs that you might be able to push in on to get it out.

I know other people have removed their headlight switch, just can't think of any names at the moment.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Exactly- all cars sold in Canada must have DLRs. At a minimum, you'll get a 48 hour warning to get them fixed but since they do no harm why disable them?
Even cars made after , I think 1996, imported into Canada have to have functioning DRLs. And, the harm? If they are halogen in the dipped beams, with the back covers on, and them lit all the time, the original bulb holders will definitely melt. I agree with the safety aspect of DRLs but, it would be nice if the "city lights" on top of the high beams were the DRLs.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by blank101
I'm living in Vancouver Canada with a 2004 X-type. The low beam lights on my car are always on, even when the control switch is turned off inside the car. (aparrently Canadian rule)

Anyone know a garage or a mechanic that can make the low beam lights respond using the control switch inside the car? OR have experience fixing this?

Thanks!
Just a question...are your tail lights and side markers also always on when the car is running?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

mohrd, with the canandian style DRL, only the headlights are on. If you look up some of the other variations, they do have varying ways of controlling the lights. If you are interested in making your lights do something, let me know. I can figure out a way to make the lights do what you want.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Just a question...are your tail lights and side markers also always on when the car is running?
Yes mine are.....

Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd

All of my lights are on, it's rediculous. Have already melted one headlight plug. Very hard to source. Prolly have to change the tailights and side markers soon. Not lookig forward to the dash lights burning out. pita

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Both dipped beam sockets melted and i replaced them with the two piece, AND when I replaced my side markers, 3 of 4 of them had the housing melted where the socket sits. Right now, I have no bulbs in the side markers as the aftermarket clear ones don't seem as sturdy.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

mohrd, with the canandian style DRL, only the headlights are on. If you look up some of the other variations, they do have varying ways of controlling the lights. If you are interested in making your lights do something, let me know. I can figure out a way to make the lights do what you want.
Thanks Thermo. I will keep that in mind. I know I've got the US version switch but I don't know what the dealer did to "convert" to DRLs before I picked it up. They didn't replace any parts and led me to believe it was a programming thing they were able to do. I'm believing that because they did it for FREE.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

mohrd, this can be done by as easily as installing a jumper wire between the green/black wire on the back of the headlight switch to chassis ground. If you cheat, this mod would take nothing more than about 5 minutes to do. This would be essentially the same as what the Canadian headlight switch would do.

On a side note, listening to a lot of the members, they talk about all of their side and rear lights being on as part of their DRL setup. Per the schematics that I have, they should not be on unless the headlight switch is left in a position other than OFF (DRL position). maybe this is one of those things that Jaguar has purposely not put into the diagrams to lead people like me astray. Would not be the first time I have seen something like that happen.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in the same boat... HATE having my HIDs on all the time :-/

Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM

mohrd, this can be done by as easily as installing a jumper wire between the green/black wire on the back of the headlight switch to chassis ground. If you cheat, this mod would take nothing more than about 5 minutes to do. This would be essentially the same as what the Canadian headlight switch would do.

On a side note, listening to a lot of the members, they talk about all of their side and rear lights being on as part of their DRL setup. Per the schematics that I have, they should not be on unless the headlight switch is left in a position other than OFF (DRL position). maybe this is one of those things that Jaguar has purposely not put into the diagrams to lead people like me astray. Would not be the first time I have seen something like that happen.

Ok, I jumpered green/black to ground. No change All lights are still on.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

JagXster, the jumper wire was for those people that wanted to add DRLs to their car, not get rid of them. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of them is to get a US switch.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 PM

JagXster, the jumper wire was for those people that wanted to add DRLs to their car, not get rid of them. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of them is to get a US switch.
D'oh... I thought we ere trying to disable the DRL's on this thread

Last edited by JagXster; 05-28-2012 at 12:55 PM.