X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsolvable mystery... trailer wiring harness!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia (Currently in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Unsolvable mystery... trailer wiring harness!

This is definitely the place to go for first-class JAG info so here goes…

1. Please don’t snicker,
2. I put a trailer hitch on the Jag (2002 X-Type 2.5)

I’m towing a small trailer (Snowbear 4 ˝ X 8) and Motorcycle 4500Km in 2 weeks time and yes the hitch is then coming off. The problem is that no where on the internet can I locate a wiring kit, T-type, flat plug or other wise, for the Jag. The connection to the trailer wiring is your standard North American 4 pole flat rubber trailer harness. I’ve been over the North American electrical schematics on JTIS and it does show a “trailer module and connector” in the trunk area but I am unable to locate this connector.

I’ve had all the carpet, side liners, and spare tire out and looking. I mean really looking. There is a very small grey connector on the aft left area, underneath spare tire carpet pad (directly below the black plastic tray). On one side of the connector there are black, orange, and yellow/orange wires. The other side has 10+ wires. Could this be the connector in question? I'm thinking not.

So... does anyone know of a wiring kit that is suitable for our X-Type? jag_genius mentioned to me that there WAS a wiring kit supplied by JAG awhile back but it was recalled and is still unavailable. The clock is running on this one and I've gotta get this sorted out by 29th July 2009.

Any takers on this seemingly impossible hunt?!

Many thanks in advance for help of any kind…

Navalweps

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I picked up a universal converter for one of my Jeeps. Basically just feed the wires from the taillights into this little box per the label, and then out to the trailer harness. Can't remember where I got it though, it's been a few years. I had to do it because of the integration of the turn signal with the brake light or something like that. The little box splits up the signals.

Dunno about a factory harness, sorry.

here are some uni's: http://hitches4less.com/eltaco.html

Old 07-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia (Currently in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan)

Thanks!

I’m checking out the info on their website now and I think you're definitely on to something. The options are universal kits for vehicles with common bulb turn signals & brake lights OR universal kits for vehicles with independent bulb turn signals & brake lights. Just gotta figure out which bunch we’re in.

Also, I understand the converter can be powered either directly from the battery or from the existing tail-light wires. The problem lies in that most lights on a vehicle are fed power though light gauge wires and are just enough for that circuit and little more. In which case I suppose a battery fed converter is the way to go.

I'll keep this updated as I go through the process and hopefully it will help someone else out who may be in the same fix I am.

Thanks for the quick response!

Thanks for the quick response!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

My box in the Jeep is fed from a 12v line from the battery via the fuse box, not from the tail lights. You might be able to pull 12v from another source in the trunk - cd changer is a possibility, if so equipped.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM

you can power from rear cigarette lighter if you have one. My 05 Sportwagon has rear power outlet. Do not take power from taillights. You can mess things up.