X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Ok so i went and got the code read today they said that its code p1111. When they did the readout for it nothing under Jag came up but the consistent thing with all the other cars listed was the O2 sensor or IAT sensor?? Could this possibly be the problem and could u tell me where to look to check and see if it is and how to fix it thx!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Bandy, code P1111 is just saying that your car is running just fine. That is the code your car should always have.

As for things to do, how good are you with working on cars? Do you have a friend that is good with cars. I have played with my car a little bit and know a few things to try to make things run a little better. I don't want to recommend something to you that might put you out of your league.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Default update

Lol! No actually im not worth 2 cents when it comes to working on cars. Not that this means anything but i am the woman side of things. My husband knws the basic side of things when it comes to working on cars, oil changes, etc. I do knw that there is something wrong with the car so as to y we got a clean bill of health on the reading is beyond me. The guy told us that if the check engine light wasn't on then it probably wouldn't read accurately so i guess the next stop will be the an actual dealer to get a diagnostic reading on it. I am the main driver and i knw wat it was doing. We took the car out yesterday and she ran fine, but then ofcourse it hasn't rained here in a couple of days. I still think that the rain has something to do with it and that maybe there is some type of leak inside the car that is sending my computer hay wire but i will find out and i will let u guys knw what they say.Thx again for responding i really appreciate it.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

Bandy, if you are thinking that it is weather related, then in the engine bay sits some of the computers. Have your husband look on the firewall on the passenger side. You will see a few large black boxes sitting there. Make sure that all the boxes are in good condition and the wiring in the area is not getting too close to the exhaust manifold. It wouldn't be the first car that I have seen that got a wire bundle too close to the exhaust manifold and that caused all sorts of oddball issues like you are seeing.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Default Update

I knw its been awhile since my last post just hadn't had the time to get my diagnostic on the car. Well we've taken it to the jag to the dealership. The problem is the throttle which is connected to a sensor that is cracked???? I think that's what they said it kinda blew me away when they said 3000 to fix needless tp say im goin to pick my baby up 2morrow unrepaired. I have called around to the auto parts store and their prices are way cheaper than what jag is trying to charge me. OH on top of that our battery has a crack in it which also answers the question as to why we kept getting corosion (spelling sorry) and 300 for a battery i don't think so when we can get one for 147. I just need help! Honestly is fixing the throttle ourself something thats easy to do or would we absolutely have to go to jag for them to do it?????

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

Bandy, I see you have met the guys down on Virginia Beach BLVD. Check out Nalley Jag (sponsors of the site) or check out Jaguar parts (http://www.jaguarparts.com. Doing a quick check on the Jaguar Parts site, they will sell it to you for $1318. After S&H, you are looking at under $1400. Yes, this is something that you can replace yourself. If you look on E-bay, there is a guy that is offering to rebuild your current throttle body normally for around $400. But, this would mean that you would be without the car for about a week as he rebuilt the throttle body. If you have a spare car laying around, then that might be a nice alternative.

Another option for you to look into is there is a European auto parts place on Little Creek. If you drive down Military Highway to the end and then turn right on to Little Creek (towards the Amphib base), drive down about a block and it will be on your left. They are some good guys and they may be able to help you out too. I have bought stuff through them and I would recommend them over all the local parts stores when you need the odd ball stuff that most of the other stores can't get. Their prices are pretty good too. Can't garantee they will have what you need, but worth a look.

if you have any more questions, just ask. I will do what I can to help you out.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might have a connector for you, i am assuming that jag is charging 3k because they want to replace the entire engine harness.

Let me check tonight and i will try and get back to you tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Default Question

Ok another question, does anyone knw of a website that actually sells a throttle body for a jaguar? I have looked everywhere and i can't find it. Help plz!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Default Update

Omg Thermo how did u knw i went up to the va beach blvd location??? That place is such a rip off and i will never go back to them ever again. I will check those places you told me about and i will let you knw if it turns out. I thank you so much becuz i have been stressed about the whole situation. It really sucks to be making a car payment and not beable to drive your car. @Jaguardoc plz do i really need some assistance and if you have the hookup i will be so grateful. This is my first luxury car and probably my last if this keeps up. But thank you guys so much and i look forward to hearing from you Jagdoc.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Bandy, well, not to spoil the fun of the situation, but the place on VA Beach is the only Jaguar dealership in the area. Your next closest one is up in Richmond. Remember, I lived there and had to do the research already. Unless they just put a new dealership into town in the last year, the options are pretty limited.

I think you will find the auto parts place on Little Creek to be your best friend. I wasn't too impressed with the guys at the Jag dealership as I walked in wearing jeans and a T-shirt and they all gave me the look like "what are you doing here". C'est la vie.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Smile Update

Ok so we went and got the car today from the dealership and guess what?? It didn't cut off or anything. I swear that car is to funny. I have the printout of the diagnostic in front of me and it says it found codes P0121 Throttle position sensor a circuit range/performance problem, P1573 Throttle angle error. Need to start with replacing the throttle body for further diagnosis. Found Battery case cracked and corrosion covering negative battery cable. Must replace battery and negative battery cable to prevent further damage. Advise customer that battery acid and corrosion possibly caused circuit damge to nearby throttle position sensor. Ok so my question is is this really saying that i need to replace my throttle body or just the sensor because it is possibly fried by my cracked battery? I just wanna be sure before i go purchasing parts that i really don't need especially if the battery is the root of all my headaches. @ Thermo i had forgotten that u were from this area and you are right that is the ONLY Jag dealer out here. Its funny u say u came in in jeans and a tshirt and they treated u like that because i came straight from work looking a hot mess and they were damn near kissing my feet asking me if i wanted to buy anything. Maybe its becuz im a woman i don't knw or maybe its just a recession and nobodys really buyin jag's like that. Who knws

Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Bandy, first, make up a mixture of baking soda and water (quart of water to 2 tablespoons of baking soda) and mix it together really well. Now, go out and buy a new battery and before putting in the new battery, pour the water/baking soda mixture inside the battery box and anywhere you think the battery acid may have gone and then go a little further. What you are looking for is the water to bubble some as it gets poured on various items. What this is telling you is that there is acid there and the baking soda is converting it to something that won't eat anything. The bubbles are carbon dioxide. So, no need to worry about anything. Make sure to pour some of the water/baking soda on the wiring going to the throttle body and the connectors between the throttlebody and the battery. IF an area bubbles, pour a little bit of the water/baking soda on, let the bubbles stop and then pour on some more. Repeat till you don't see any bubbling.

Next, using a garden hose, spray the area around the battery box really, really good. Just be careful not to spray directly on top of the valve covers (you can pour, just don't use the stream coming out of the hose to spray the valve covers). Between the baking soda and the water, you should flush out anything that can cause any further damage. IT will also be a good idea to remove the battery box from the car so you can get under the battery box really good.

Now, reinstall the battery box and put in your new battery. From this point, you will need to drive the car for a little bit. This will tell you if your problem is gone or if you need to start looking at a throttlebody.

Granted, if I could find out where to get the parts from (I am looking, but no luck), I would drive down and rebuild the throttlebody for you. It isn't all that hard. The hard part is simply finding the motor assembly that drives the butterfly valve.

Hopefully the water/baking soda will fix your problems and save you a lot of heartache.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Smile update

Well since the last time i posted, we have installed a new battery. So far so good (keeping my fingers crossed). I have had no problems and its been about 4 days rain included and still she has been fine. Im gonna drive the car this week and keep you posted if anything changes. Thx Thermo for all of your help u have been a saint in all of this and actually i have learned a few things from you. I really appreciate u replying to my post and all of your advice. Thx alot

Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Veteran member

Bandy, not a problem. Keep Sept 18 open on your calendar. We can possibly meet then as I am planning a VA/MD/DC/DE get together down in Richmond for the Concours d'Elegance, which is a Jaguar only car show. I went to the show last year and it was quite the show. Who knows, maybe we can get some shirts made up and promote the site a little bit. Who knows. I'm mainly going there for all the nice cars.

Should you ever need any more help, let me know. Don't be afraid to PM me. I get a few each week.