Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT: Debris in air inlet tube to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT: Debris in air inlet tube to Turbo

I have a X-Type 2.2D (2009)

I regularly clean the turbo using Glyns Can Spray Turbo cleaner, this can of cleaner comes with a small, flexible plastic tube to direct the spray.

How I do this is by unscrewing the air filter rectangular box, lifting the lid, remove the air filer. Start the engine and leave on idle. Lift the air filter box lid up with the air pipe to the turbo still connected and spray at small blasts until the can is empty.

I had the tiny pipe from the can connected to the nozzle and the damned thing came off and I cannot find it.

Clearly it was sucked into the large tube/hose going to the turbo.

I needed the car so had to take the risk and drive it. So far, after 100 miles nothing has gone wrong.

So would this tiny tube just been sucked into the turbo and disintegrate or maybe just sitting inside the large tube or is there a filter inside that tube stopping it getting to the turbo or is this a ticking time bomb?

Any thoughts please would be really appreciated.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

The only question I would ask is why do you feel the need to clean the turbo?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Because the turbos are notorious in diesels for getting gunked up and causing problems. Lots of posts on an alternate method by drilling and the tapping a small bolt into the end to facilitate cleaning them.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Well you live and learn. The OP states that he regularly cleans his turbo. I have done many hundreds of thousands of miles in diesel cars both at work and now retired. Ford. Peugeot. BMW and others and have never even felt the need to "clean " the turbo.
Am I missing something?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Why don't you remove the turbo tube to see if it's still in there, it's not that hard to remove the tube section from the air filter to the turbo. As you already know to make easy way to spray instead of remove air cleaner box lid every time.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't think it would make the first turn beyond the turbo, and it is for certain that the heat would have melted the thing. If it made it into the cylinder, I'm pretty sure the combustion pressure would pretty much vaporize the tube, and it is pretty much made of the same material as the diesel fuel, anyway.

Best guess: It is already gone, cooked off and passed out through the exhaust!