X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Oil Leak

I live in So. California and my wife has a 2003 X-type with 93K miles. We took it to our Jaguar mechanic today to get oil change service and the rear brake disc and pads replaced.

When we picked it up, he said that while giving it a test drive after completing the service he smelled burnt oil. He said that it appeared to be slowly coming from the rear valve cover and the gasket could be worn.

He said that there is concern because this oil drips directly down an on to the hot catalytic converter!

Two questions: Is what I am being told true, and second what should be a reasonable estimate to replace the valve cover gaskets. He told me it could be $850 to $900.

Mike (mikeda)

Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Handy with a screwdriver and socket set? You can replace both valve cover gaskets, the upper and lower intake gaskets, and the IMT gaskets in about three hours working at a leisurely pace, for about $80 or so. Add $50 and another 15 minutes, and do the plugs, too!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have the money to burn, then just keep bringing your car to the dealer, if you want to learn how to take care of your car and save money, take some time sign in this forum every day, you'll learn a lots. you didn't say how much it charged you to replace brake rotors and pads and let me guess: $500. If you never work on your car, get on this forum or YouTube learn how to do it, order the parts online, spend few hrs on Sat. save some money.
As war3ra said, spend @$100 buy the parts and about 3 hrs, you save @ $700, or you can leave your car at the dealer 3-4 days, go play golf on Sat. and don't know what they do to your car, you come back sign off the check, they'll say to you: "Thank you Sir ". Some time they don't even replace the gaskets, they just clean off the oil and tighten up the valve covers bolts, you don't know until the next inspection.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Mikeda, yes, gaskets do shrink and get brittle, so what your tech is telling you could be valid. Oil leaking onto the exhaust would produce a noticeable odor; a severe leak could be a fire hazard. His estimate seems high to me though; for $800-900 I'd expect not only valve cover gaskets, new spark plugs and at least the upper intake gaskets. You can buy an OEM valve cover gasket set from Rock Auto for $66. Add about another $50 for the other parts. View some videos for X-Type spark plug replacement and you'll see what needs to be done. It looks intimidating but if you study up and take your time you can do it yourself. At the very least you'll get a feel for how much labor (shops call it book time) is involved.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...440622&jsn=293

Last edited by swingwing; 11-11-2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added sentences.