X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Shades of the Burt Lancaster movie, The Rainmaker.

Maybe beating drums and a parade can help X-Type performance issues.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Now you've switched from grounds to capacitors.

'More volts' won't cause the engine to make more power or start any differently. If it did, manufacturers would simply adjust the alternator regulator settings or alternator capacity accordingly. The capacitors make no difference during start- they carry insufficient energy to assist in any meaningful manner.

Your statement "Capacitors can release their energy faster than the car battery, which has to switch on and off from charging from the alternator."

is completely false. The battery is never isolated from the car electrical system. It's on line and active at all times.

Further- "The quick energy release ability of the capacitors fill in the split second delays from a traditional car battery" is also incorrect

There is no delay, as pointed out above nor would it make any difference to the operation of the vehicle even if true.

You can believe the hocus-pocus if you want, but it's easily dismissed with a bit of technical knowledge.
Turn your key on with the headlights and what happens? The lights dim because the power has to go to turning the starter. With a voltage stabilizer you have that additional backup reserve to power everything 100% so the lights don't dim while you turn on your car with the ac and stereo on. Trust me, it helps. Don't buy one if you don't want to.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Turn your key on with the headlights and what happens? The lights dim because the power has to go to turning the starter. With a voltage stabilizer you have that additional backup reserve to power everything 100% so the lights don't dim while you turn on your car with the ac and stereo on. Trust me, it helps. Don't buy one if you don't want too.

Please go try this- disconnect the car's battery and try to start it with just the stabilizer. The tiny capacitors used in these stabilizer units don't contain enough energy to power anything at 100%.

I wasted enough money when I was a kid on miracle devices, that was a long time ago. No more.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:01 PM

It's not supposed to replace the battery power, it's supposed to supplement it when the battery draw is high. Check out this one, it's a reputable tuning company. What would they have to gain from making a miracle snake oil product? Also, aftermarket stereo people rely on these a lot when dealing with accessories that draw a lot of power, but for me I am more interested in engine tuning, and believe me, in my opinion this is money well spent if you buy a decent one. There are companies out there that throw crappy electronics in a box and run some wires out of it and will sell it to you, but there are also legitimate performance companies that make decent ones that do what they say and last. Like I said though, you don't have to buy one if you are happy with your car the way it is. For me I just like them, it's a little thing that improves the overall feel of the car. If they were $500 I would say no, they're probably not worth it, but for under $80 yes I think they are worthy. One magazine tested different brands and showed an overall increase of 2 or 3 hp all through the powerband, with various voltage stabilizers. It's a small increase but it's noticeable in the feel of the engine when I'm driving. With the grounding wire kit, the engine just feels stronger and quieter at idle, like almost like an electric car and you have more torque because all the power is going to the engine instead of being wasted.

https://www.getnrg.com/products/engi...tabilizer/feed

Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM

The link provided is to a company that sells them- and they don't mention half the stuff you're talking about. The statement 'you have more torque because all the power is going to the engine instead of being wasted' makes no sense.

No matter- I give up. You've swallowed the hook far too deeply and believe your own hype no matter how well others demonstrate that it's gobbledygook. Too late for you but perhaps others will read this and not make the same mistake.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:33 PM

A good read on the subject:

Voltage Stabilizers Can Increase Power And Torque - Fact Or Fiction - Import Tuner Magazine

In the end, it's up to you to decide if one is right for you. On a Jaguar it might beneficial with all the Navigation and electronic controls and what not, but it's your money. I had my fears too about installing one but I assure you it has done no damage and has made the engine feel stronger. It's not a turbocharger, but it does what it's designed to do. Also the grounding wires alone helped immensely if you are worried about fiddling with a voltage stabilizer, I would recommend ground wires if you are looking for an efficient low cost upgrade to your engine's performance. A good set of thicker ground wires run around $20-$50 on ebay.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-24-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

It's just a con. Please believe those who understand the science rather than those selling the snake oil.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM

I read the article the OP linked to that supposedly proves that these things work. Here's something of great relevance:

"But the amount by which power and torque increased-0.5 whp and 1.5 lb-ft of torque, on average-is low enough to be considered standard variance in back-to-back testing a 15-year-old car with an impressive history of check-engine lights."

So they dismiss the power increase as being 'scatter', typical of any dyno but in particular a wheel dyno as used in this test. Having operated a 5,000 HP capacity water dyno back in my working career, this amount of scatter is in fact quite low.

If an owner still wanted to hang his hat on this being a genuine increase,
the idea that a person driving a car being able to detect a difference of .5 HP via the 'butt dyno' is preposterous.

Examination of the individual dyno charts indicate that the stock reference curve intertwines with the 'modified' curves at low RPM. This means that there is just as much evidence that these widgets reduce HP as much as add during normal driving.

'Myth busted' as they say on TV.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Really?

Would a flat 'no' convince you?
I don't need a "flat no" to convince me. I think those sorts of things are smoke and mirrors.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

I read the article the OP linked to that supposedly proves that these things work. Here's something of great relevance:

"But the amount by which power and torque increased-0.5 whp and 1.5 lb-ft of torque, on average-is low enough to be considered standard variance in back-to-back testing a 15-year-old car with an impressive history of check-engine lights."

So they dismiss the power increase as being 'scatter', typical of any dyno but in particular a wheel dyno as used in this test. Having operated a 5,000 HP capacity water dyno back in my working career, this amount of scatter is in fact quite low.

If an owner still wanted to hang his hat on this being a genuine increase,
the idea that a person driving a car being able to detect a difference of .5 HP via the 'butt dyno' is preposterous.

Examination of the individual dyno charts indicate that the stock reference curve intertwines with the 'modified' curves at low RPM. This means that there is just as much evidence that these widgets reduce HP as much as add during normal driving.

'Myth busted' as they say on TV.
.5HP and 1.5 FP of torque? That is disappointing. I bet I get at least ten times more than that when I put a bottle of Slick 50 in the crankcase.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Snake oil? Combine this with an electric supercharger and a Fuel Maxx chip and you're looking at some serious hp bro.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but Myth Busters gets paid millions of dollars by giant corporations to "disprove" many things.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Snake oil? Combine this with an electric supercharger and a Fuel Maxx chip and you're looking at some serious hp bro.
You mean an electronic supercharger like this: Electric Supercharger 5 PSI Vortex

If so, that is another product that has been discussed here through the years and consensus was that is was worthless. Do a search on here about performance, mods, modifications, additional horsepower, etc. Nothing out there worth a damn other than the Arden chip and that is expensive. I respect you for wanting to try, but it's just not out there. Guys on here have been looking for years and haven't found that holy grail. If you can do it where others have failed, you will be revered on here as a god. Until then, all we are trying to do is help you save time, money and aggravation, but I wish you luck in your quest. Keep us apprised as you mod your car.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM

I think we've transitioned from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 AM

"i HAVE MAGIC BEANS FOR SALE, THAT WHEN PUT IN THE GAS TANK..."

I hope this post kills this thread.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,844 Likes on 3,160 Posts

Bruce, what, the mexican jumping beans makes the back end of the car go up and down. So, that is how they do that!!!!!! I bet it would cause the rear spoiler to remain out of the air more which would result in less drag on the car. Hmmmmmm. That sounds like it would work. How much? How much gain in mileage could I expect?

LMAO. Sorry, had to.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

They also make the exhaust sound kind of throaty and deep, but at higher RPMs they make it sound kind of squeaky and restricted.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Bruce, what, the mexican jumping beans makes the back end of the car go up and down. So, that is how they do that!!!!!! I bet it would cause the rear spoiler to remain out of the air more which would result in less drag on the car. Hmmmmmm. That sounds like it would work. How much? How much gain in mileage could I expect?
Visions of the classic Leaper replaced with a little Chihuahua dog.

Mileage would increase considerably, as the car would slow down for every Taco Stand you try and pass. Steering might pull to the left or tight, though.

OH MY GAWD -

I cannot stress just how much you need to turn the audio WAY DOWN, if not OFF for this one. Thank God they did this to an S-Type instead of our beloved X-Type:

MAGIC BEANS IN TANK

I think we've transitioned from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 11-26-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Going back to the electric superchargers, watch this video:

Note that they first did two dead stock back to back runs to establish a baseline. The first was 32.7 peak and the second 31.5. That's a difference of 1.2 HP. Without beating another dead horse, this is the typical run-to-run variation mentioned in the discussion above regarding magic electronic boxes.

The first run with the electric turbo gave 34.9, which although nowhere near the 15% increase promised, did appear to prove that it worked. This all went down the tubes when they ran the car again with no turbo and got 35.9. Powering the turbo externally gave 35.8.

The lowest and highest figures came from a dead stock car. The turbo runs were somewhere in the middle. Pretty convincing evidence to spend $300 on a $10 electric fan.

Beware placing undue trust in magazine dyno figures.

BTW- the Myth Busters TV show doesn't test commercial products, so I'm not sure why the manufacturers would pay millions of dollars to sway the results.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM

I'm not arguing that the voltage stabilizer is a miracle device. It does what it's designed to do, it keeps the volts stable and acts as a supplementary power supply when needed. It keeps the engine running more efficient and the accessories running smoother. Again, I think MythBusters is a crock of #*@%, but think what you want. Import Tuner is a more reliable source in my opinion, plus I have personally tried a couple of the voltage stabilizers out and find they help.

Quick Reply: Voltage Stabilizer