X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want an x type? Expect repairs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CarLuva
No, I disagreed with you because you said, "Find yourself an independent mechanic who is prepared to fix it like the Ford it is." In case you missed it, I now take my X-Type to a mechanic who works exclusively on Jaguars (and yes, they literally will turn you away if you bring any other brand of car to them) and uses only OEM Jaguar parts. (Oh, and by the way, this shop guarantees their work for a full year, which, last time I checked, was a lot longer than the Jaguar dealership did.) That's a huge difference from what you said. The X-Type is not a Ford, and if you take it to mechanic who treats it like one, there's a very good chance that he's eventually going to screw it up. Anyway, I wasn't trying to pick a fight; I just felt like a word of caution was necessary.
Yep, I'm still having issues after I took my Jaguar to a private mechanic who's a "jack off all cars." Find a dealer who works on jags and guarantees their work - couldn't agree more.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-17-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster
Regardless guys, find a nice Indy mechanic. The X Type will do you well ... it is probably the most affordable, dependable Jaguar you can own.
Yep, the more I read this post, the more I like it. As an ongoing X-Type forum visitor (we will be adding one to our S-Type) I may not follow all the advice re dealers/indies/DIY (of which I and my workshops are capable), I liked the "one size does not fit all" approach.

Even more, I liked the inclusive, friendly tone of the post, compared to some of the "one-upmanship" that has started to emerge in others. Point scoring is a giant turnoff. Just my humble 2c, but I come here to be informed, helped, and also entertained.

I vote bonus points for any who do all three.
Cheers,
Ken

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Well said Ken, " cat_as_trophy "!

I think the moderators, fellow members and visitors alike would all agree there are good dealers, some-not and equally, there are good mechanics and some-what-NOT!

It's your choice as it's your car LIVE THE DREAM, hopefully not someone elses... and that goes for nightmares too!

LOVE THE X~Type, it's not a fantasy, it just FEELS LIKE IT!!
and IT IS certainly NOT A FORD!!!
Regards, Stu