XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

XE maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question XE maintenance

I am seriously thinking about buying XE diesel with automatic transmission(in Germany), but I have no idea what kind of maintenance costs can I expect. That is actually the only thing that is holding me back, because I don't know what to expect...maybe something similar to it's rivals from BMW or is it much more?

I just love this car in comparison to his rivals.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

In Australia which is usually seen as a harsh environment with shorter maintenance schedules, the diesel XEs have maintenance intervals of 24 months or 34,000km, whichever is the earlier. And they are capping the service costs for the first 5 years at a number I'd expect to spend in maybe 3 years maximum. I'd guess you'll have something better than that.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The XE is so new on the market I'm not sure anyone can predict what on-going costs might be. Historical data on previous models indicate that cost and reliability are on a par with similar high end vehicles.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for replies.
So, Mikey, if I understand correctly overall expenses for Jaguar is somewhere similar than for BMW, etc. Well in this case I have no second thoughts any more

Old 08-30-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Jaguar are well aware that a car in this particular marketplace cannot deviate too much from the "norm". So I would expect broadly similar, (maybe even better) maintenance costs to other, similar, cars, like the BMW 3 Series, the Audi A4 and Merc C Class.

One thing I did notice is that in order to meet EU Euro 6 emission regulations, the diesel cars have a tank that holds fluid used for DPF recycling. I was told this only needs a refill at the regular service interval. What this fluid costs, I don't know, but as diesel fuel in the tank was used previously for DPF recycling, then no longer using the car's fuel would improve fuel consumption slightly.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't know if it's the same in other countries but here in the states they just announced their EliteCare program which comes with all 2016+ Jaguars and covers 5 years/60,000 miles of maintenance.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the Canary Islands we get the first 3 years maintenance included. All free except for brake pads, tyres and light bulbs.

Barrie

Old 09-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Jaguar are well aware that a car in this particular marketplace cannot deviate too much from the "norm". So I would expect broadly similar, (maybe even better) maintenance costs to other, similar, cars, like the BMW 3 Series, the Audi A4 and Merc C Class.

One thing I did notice is that in order to meet EU Euro 6 emission regulations, the diesel cars have a tank that holds fluid used for DPF recycling. I was told this only needs a refill at the regular service interval. What this fluid costs, I don't know, but as diesel fuel in the tank was used previously for DPF recycling, then no longer using the car's fuel would improve fuel consumption slightly.
Agree with your maintenance cost observations. I would also expect that the XE will be similar to the major competition, Audi, BMW, and MB.

DPF is a diesel particulate filter. The tank is for diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), small quantities of which are injected into the exhaust upstream of a catalyst, where it vaporizes and decomposes to form ammonia and carbon dioxide. The ammonia (NH3) is the desired product which in conjunction to the SCR catalyst, converts the NOx to harmless nitrogen (N2) and water (H2O).

DEF is basically diluted urea. In the US, it currently costs about $2.50/gallon. Depending upon the diesel engine and DEF tank size, DEF usually needs to be refilled every 5-10 (or more) tanks of fuel.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-15-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Foosh, thanks for this.

I read about this Urea stuff only a few days ago, where its use was described, so I was wrong to relate it to the DPF.

I can see myself running one of these XEs some time in the future when the hype has gone, and depreciation has done its work. Hopefully, it'll be a petrol model.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

Ah...the urea additive (called DEF over here). All comments aside about the VW mess right now (I have 2 TDIs of the years where they bodged the software), it goes through a little over litre of DEF every 10K miles. 4 litres of DEF cost me $12. USD a couple weeks ago. May be cheaper to just wee in the tank, but, it's not an outrageous cost.

(adjust the prices for UKP or Euro as need be).