X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump belt tensioner PULLEY

Old 05-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Water Pump belt tensioner PULLEY

Wife is driving our 2004 XType 3.0 and called me in panic saying red light was on dash and temp gauge pegged to the Hot side. She was 2 miles from house and I had her drive it on home. I wasnít able to get here to look at it for over an hour and by then it had cooled down. There was low coolant in the reservoir tank so I topped it off. Started the engine then looking around I see the water pump belt isnít spinning so shut it off immediately. After inspection there is no idler pulley anymore on the tensioner arm so belt has slipped off drive wheel and pump pulley. The idler pulley on tensioner arm is simply gone!!! Pulley bearing must have failed then disintegrated.

Searched forums here here and find reference that you have to replace entire water pump belt tensioner as an assembly. But has anyone not just replaced the idler pulley only? Also I canít see how that tensioner assembly is attached - granted I havenít taken out battery box and air cleaner yet for clear view. How does the tensioner assembly attach? Thanks for any advice or assistance.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:21 PM

*** Edit from previous post. I took off the tensioner assembly which is only an 8mm bolt. I can remove the bolt (15mm) head that attached idler pulley to tensioner. I’m on my way to auto parts store to see if there is a replacement pulley in stock. There is a Ford part number stamped to the tensioner assembly so hoping there will be a replacement grooved idler pulley. I’m taking the assembly and belt to the store.

The idler pulley bearing does seemed to have seized and the plastic idler part melted away. I see little bits of melted plastic in engine compartment. I will update this if I do get pulley part that fits.

Last edited by RobinGa; 05-30-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't comment on availability of the pulley only, except that it's not formally sold separately by Jaguar so it would require some creativity on your end to find. But if you do need to buy the whole assembly when I replaced mine recently I searched around on price and by far the best I found was a dealer selling on ebay for about ~$80 compared to ~$100 elsewhere. Still annoyingly expensive I know, but might save you a few bucks. As you noted it's an easy replacement once the battery box is out of the way.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:04 PM

I struck out trying to find just pulley. I did find that eBay seller for $81 delivered and it's on way. I'm still convinced there is a pulley that if someone had time to research could find making this about a $10-15 fix