X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird thing happened last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird thing happened last night

I have a 2002 X type 3.0 Sport with automatic. Last night on way home from work when I shut off the cruise control it suddenly went into limp mode and said engine management fault, gearbox fault, and transfer case fault. I had to crawl home going very slow and it was uphill.

This morning when I started it up it was fine like nothing had happened. I hooked up the scanner and got a P1111 that indicates systems are normal. Any ideas please? Car has always ran perfect before and no issues.

Thanks for your help

Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Vacuum leaks

Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Rickna7, to me, it sounds like either the stepping motor for the throttle or the throttle position sensor got jarred during the switching off of the cruise control, which caused the car to loose its tracking on the affected component, which lead to your "limp mode" issue. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of repair parts for these components that I have been able to find. The throttle position sensor is not available aftermarket (that I am aware of using the number on the sensor), so, you can only get it through Jag. As for the throttle stepping motor, again, this is only available through Jag that I am aware of. If these parts are available elsewhere, I would like to know. I can see me rebuilding the throttlebodies in my garage as the actual work is easy and can help out the members.

I would just keep an eye on things and see if the problem re-occurs. I would recommend if you are switching off the cruise, to put your foot on the gas pedal a little bit to prevent the throttle from slamming shut. That should prevent what you saw.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback and yes, I agree it would be good to rebuild the throttle stepper motor as it would save a lot of bucks. I will check for vacuum leaks too. For now I will keep an eye on it as it is running fine.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Rickna7, to me, it sounds like either the stepping motor for the throttle or the throttle position sensor got jarred during the switching off of the cruise control, which caused the car to loose its tracking on the affected component, which lead to your "limp mode" issue. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of repair parts for these components that I have been able to find. The throttle position sensor is not available aftermarket (that I am aware of using the number on the sensor), so, you can only get it through Jag. As for the throttle stepping motor, again, this is only available through Jag that I am aware of. If these parts are available elsewhere, I would like to know. I can see me rebuilding the throttlebodies in my garage as the actual work is easy and can help out the members.

I would just keep an eye on things and see if the problem re-occurs. I would recommend if you are switching off the cruise, to put your foot on the gas pedal a little bit to prevent the throttle from slamming shut. That should prevent what you saw.
Throttle stepping motor, I'm learning something new from you every day. I should knock on wood I've avoided all these odd issues.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sidewalkman, yes, our cars are "fly by wire" or as the automotive industry calls it "drive by wire". So, you have an electric motor that controls the throttle body vice the old cable that most of us are used to. Well, as you can imagine, you need something to hold the throttle in some mid position (would hate to see it go full open on you all the time). This is done through the use of a stepping motor. If you know anything about servos, it is a variation of that same technology. Except in this case you are simply using a computer to count the number of rotations and "steps" around on a given rotation vice having a coil generate a signal and then send it to another coil and having a magnet match up to the energized coil. Oh the joys of modern day electronics using the tricks of the old technology in a different way.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Default Update

I drove my x type a bit today and still no problems. It seems a bit smoother than before. I am keeping an eye on her though. :i con_shrug:

Old 06-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Engine lights and codes

Originally Posted by Rickna7
I have a 2002 X type 3.0 Sport with automatic. Last night on way home from work when I shut off the cruise control it suddenly went into limp mode and said engine management fault, gearbox fault, and transfer case fault. I had to crawl home going very slow and it was uphill.

This morning when I started it up it was fine like nothing had happened. I hooked up the scanner and got a P1111 that indicates systems are normal. Any ideas please? Car has always ran perfect before and no issues.

Thanks for your help
When I left the house yesterday morning and the ! with a circle around it lit up. I got to my destination, shut off the car came back about 20 minutes later started her and no light. When I got home I got out my engine tester and I got the same code. This has happened before and I don't pay attention to it. I just clear the code. I know the manual says all sorts of dire things about engine and tranny problems but my Ford mechanic said this code is universal and means everything is OK. Jaguar is just screwed up company.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Well, that shows that our cats have personality!