X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you guys think??

I am new here. I used to own a BMW 3 series and currently leasing a Saab 9-3 that i will be returning in a week or so.Therefore, i had been car shopping for couple of months. I pretty much looked at everything, Acuras, Audi's, Volkswagens, Nissan on and on. However, at the end i ended up purchasing a 2003 X Type with 37K miles.

When i saw the pictures on the net, i thought the car looked really nice and based on the carfax report it was a one owner car. So i went to the dealer test drove it and really liked it. I am very meticilous and picky so I looked at everything. No scratches, body damage or dings on the car. Inside very clean, like new. The hood ornament was missing, but the dealer said they would replace it.

Anyway, the dealers original price was 19,999.00. This was the price on the dealer website. Then they had special on it, down to 16K or so. I ran across the ad on Autotrader and the price was 14,999.00. So that was the price i purchased it for after i done some researchto make sure i was not getting ripped off.

It is a 2003, Maroon with 37K miles. Extremely clean inside out for 14,999.00. You think it was a good deal?

By the way, no sunroof or sports package...

Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: What you guys think??

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  4.7 KB

Hi Dunhill,
funnily enough my other car is a Saab 93, 1.9 Tid Vector Sport.
Re the X, sounds like a good deal to me if she's as spotless as you say she is and regular milage for the year I would guess. Sounds like she's been loved by someone before you got your hands on her which is always a good sign.
Did you get any warranty? Full service history and all receipts?
You never said, is it a 2.5 or a 3.0
Its a shame about the Sport package, woulda been a nice addittion.

Post some pics as soon as you get a chance and lets have a look

Jim C

Old 02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a decent deal, possibly a good deal depending on other options and engine size.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 PM

It is 2.5L. Extremely clean. New tires, brakes and rotors.I did not get any extended warranty. It was the best price around the area where i live based on the year and mileage and options.

I didn't necessarily want a real fast car, but something i can cruise in. I had my share of fast cars, like a VW Corrado, BMW 330i/X3, Saab 9-3, even a 1999 Nissan Maxima....Boy that Maxima had torque steer problem when you punched the gas.

As you guys can see i have owned cars from many different manufacturers, including Toyota Camry, Mercedes and even a Hyundai Excel as a commuting car.Currently, I alsoown aNissan Murano,which i probably my favorite to date.

Anyway, any known major problems with 03 2.5 Models?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Hey Jim,

Regarding TSBs. Do you recommend taking the car to a dealer to have them check to see if there are any unrepaired TSB for the car? I don't know if the car i purchased has been repaired for all the TSB's. Carfax report was clean regarding recalls, nothing outstanding.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:10 AM

you can call jaguar direct at 1-800-4-JAGUAR and give them the last 6 digits of the vin. they will tell you what service has been done by jaguar dealers, including any TSB-related repairs.

i would not worry about the new tires and brakes too much. most dealers replace these items if they are at 50% or less when they sell used vehicles. even enterprise does it on the vehicles they sell. i bought a 2001 SUV in 2003 from them with 24k miles and it had new brakes and tires. it is much cheaper to replace the small or wearable itemsbefore the sale than to fix possible problems caused later, or lawsuits. it is also a great selling point as the buyer has a few less items to worry about.

i would not necessarily call it major as it doesn't happen that often with 2003 and later models, but there aresome transmision problems. half shafts, drive shafts and wheel bearings have all been replaced under warranty per posts i have read, but the % between owners and posters is pretty small. depending on the original in-service date, you may still have a warranty. the factory warranty is 4 years / 50k miles, and can be extended by a Jaguar dealer to 6 years / 100k miles. prices vary as it is set by each individual dealer, but they range in price from $1000-3000 from what i have read.

some things to look for to see what factory options you have...

Heated seats - present if there are two buttons with seat icons on either side of the hazard warning button at the top of the center instrument panel.

Memory seats - present if there are four extra small buttons near the seat controls, labeled, respectively, M, 1, 2, and 3.

Stability Control (DSC) - present if there's a button near the base of the gear shift lever, with a swerving car icon on the button. Absent if there's a coin holder in this spot.

Rear Park Assist - look at your back bumper, on the bottom part. if you have 4 circles you have it.

Trip Computer - light switch, left hand side bottom of the dash. if it has 3 buttons along the bottom it has the trip computer. mpg, miles left to drive, things like that.

Overhead Console - on the overhead console if you have 3 'rows' of buttons, you have the homelink system (garage door opener) and a sunroof. there is one 'row' of 3 (map lights and dome light), another 'row' of 3 (homelink) and then the button for the sunroof. these can come in any combination, as they were all options.

Upgraded Stereo System - there are 3 levels of trim. basic has 4 door speakers. premium has those plus 2 tweeters in the front doors, near the handles. alpine named system has that plus 2 more tweeters in the rear doors at the handles and 2 6.5" subs in the rear decklid.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  Jagbrightlights7.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  4.6 KB

Good sound advice from Nineball Dunhill - take it!

JC

Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 PM

Nineball thanks for the input.

I will call the 1-800 and see what i can find out. I want to take it to the dealer before the warranty runs out regarding the TSBs.

Regarding the original in service date, I should be able to get that info from Jaguar, right? Anyway, thanks alot. So far so good. The heating is incredible, better than the Saab. Just wanted to point that out.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dunhill congrats on the purchase and good luck, if you wanted you can also purchase an extended warranty through jag directly, ask them when you call the 1800 number. You are able to purchase the warranty when the car is under original factory warranty so don't procrastinate if it interests you (the warranty you purchase is an extended bumper-bumper warranty that covers everything for 6years/100k miles. The 6 years is from original purchase when car was brand new.) Good luck let us know how you like her...

Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 PM

you cannot buy an extended warranty directly from jaguar. you may have been able to in the past, but now they tell you to go to a dealer. they are the only people who can sell the warranty.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When did they change it? I emailed them and someone from jag called me back about my questions and information on the warranty...unfortunately I was over my miles but I asked him say I had 49k miles what would it have been, he answered all of my questions...

Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you got a good deal. That same car would've gone for like 20k here in miami, so congrats on your new Jag!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Bigdreams,

Thanks. So far so good. Hopefully, no major issues will arise in the near future.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 AM

so what options did you get with the car?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 PM

i think it is the base model....I will post pics when i get a chance....

Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 PM

Base model?? Do those exist???

Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 AM

I guess so....Well, it is not the sports version.
Compared to most other cars, it is definetely more luxurious when it comes to the interior with leather.
AWD, Leather, CD, Xenon, 16 inch rims, fog lights, etc...are these not basic on all X types?
No traction control or DSC

Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Im just messin with you, its just hard to hear somebody say basic when your talkin about a jag. Maybe Im just to emotionally atttached...[sm=smiley19.gif]

Old 02-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the sky is grey

Quick Reply: What you guys think??