X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why should I buy......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my best advice is run as far as you can from jaguar unless you have a lot of spare change for maintainance and repairs. If you buy a cheap one, you will be repairing it all the time due to the reliability of these cars in the higher mile range. If you buy a newer preused the resale will eat you alive and you will have to drive it until you have it paid off or eat an upside down loan.

Just my experience so far. 4 Major problems with the car now.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  16.5 KB

Hey there, X type over S for me purely for the AWD which is awesome.
I do however, prefer the styling of the more modern X as compared to the retro styling of the S, for me anyway.
Get an 04 and upwards with a good warranty though. Most issues have been resolved with these later models through recalls, improvements etc etc.
Get a god one and look after her and she'll look after you....They can be expensive to maintain, although my 02 ran solid for around 16 months with only minor issues, but, get a warranty!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Angel,

I've have an 04 X and just love it. Jim is right...get a warranty if you can but you enjoy the car, that's the only thing that matters. AWB is fabo, and it drives like a dream.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with Jim, buying an 04 or higher will do, while its quite true that it is expensive when it comes to repairs is due to the negligence the previous owners have made and that you end up having to restore the car to its optimum... its always best to buy an extended warranty just to have some peace of mind, not just among jags but among all used cars that are not "certified used"...

In buying used cars from a dealership you dont trust or know is a gamble, if you are familiar on what to check then do it before you buy, if not, then find someone to check the car for you before you buy it... identify the issues you've seen and let the dealer know, usually the used dealerships give you one month warranty--- read the details on the fine lines since some of them cover only 50% of repairs during the one month warranty, some cover full... during this time, you must identify all issues and bring it to the dealership as they occur, this will save you lots of money... then the extended warranty kicks in after the 1month dealership warranty. Again, read what is covered...

Had Ive known about 02xtype issues before I bought mine I would have had them correct it before I drove out of the lot... fortunately I identified all of them prior to end of one month warranty, some of them i fixed myself...

As for the drive, its a head turner... people at work who owns BMW, audi and mercedes (96-2003) loved the looks... i used to own a volvo S60 2006 AWD, i love the handling of Jag xtype better... ive driven an audi A4, its fast but the handling is different (prolly due to the body size.. i dont know)...

Sorry I must have been a bit talkative... but good luck to you and hope you find what fits you best!!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a die hard Jaguar lover. Reread my into thread from ages ago for a refresher.. I love these cars, through the thick and thin. I've had many of them throughout the years, but can honestly say that I will never, ever own another X-type, regardless of year.
I can not wait until mine has a new owner.